Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom modified fuel rail

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05
If i will go like SLR type or TTM way and close the loop (by adding another extension of any suitable type) Is there any thing I need to make to make sure that the distribution volume of fuel is better among the injectors ?

I already have bigger injectors, but that's not enough.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Iknownothing
Ok dumb question, but why does #8 get low fuel pressure when the inlet is right there close to it?
Good question.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by ahmad0658
If i will go like SLR type or TTM way and close the loop (by adding another extension of any suitable type) Is there any thing I need to make to make sure that the distribution volume of fuel is better among the injectors ?

I already have bigger injectors, but that's not enough.
With a closed loop system you will get the benefit of equalized fuel pressure to all of the injectors. We are seeing a 20-25rwhp gain(with no other mods) from going with the TTM Injector and Fuel Rail Kit. You know what the TTM 82mm TB Kit did for your car Ahmad! Pre and post tune!

The issue that I see with this fuel rail is it is still building pressure from the end of each side of the rail and, when there isn't sufficient volume from the small diameter feed line, you will experience the same issue unless larger injectors are used to lower the IDC. If the injectors at #1 and #5 are close to static there is a good chance the volume will not be adequate and there will be a pressure drop back to the rear cylinders. Same scenario. JMHO

Good luck with the fuel rail Mikey. You are always up to something!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Ok dumb question, but why does #8 get low fuel pressure when the inlet is right there close to it?
The stock fuel rail builds pressure from the ends of the rail. When the injectors at the end of the rail(#1 and #5) go static(or close to it) the pressure and volume diminish at each subsequent injector back to the feed point. An injector is a valve. All it does is open and close. When you are at the top of 3rd and into 4th the injectors go static(don't close) and, since there isn't sufficient volume or pressure, the injector still opens but there is very little pressure built up(pressure brings volume in this system) and it only injects a minimal amount of fuel causing a lean condition. In time you will see a loss of compression.

Injectors should be cleaned and flow tested every 30k. I have seen a 80cc drop in the stock injectors but return to their rated CC after 2 cleaning cycles. Definitely worth doing.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
With a closed loop system you will get the benefit of equalized fuel pressure to all of the injectors. We are seeing a 20-25rwhp gain(with no other mods) from going with the TTM Injector and Fuel Rail Kit. You know what the TTM 82mm TB Kit did for your car Ahmad! Pre and post tune!

The issue that I see with this fuel rail is it is still building pressure from the end of each side of the rail and, when there isn't sufficient volume from the small diameter feed line, you will experience the same issue unless larger injectors are used to lower the IDC. If the injectors at #1 and #5 are close to static there is a good chance the volume will not be adequate and there will be a pressure drop back to the rear cylinders. Same scenario. JMHO

Good luck with the fuel rail Mikey. You are always up to something!
Oh yeah, TTM 82mm TB was great mod. Well, If you will just lower your price for the fuel rail that would be great .

How long does it take to get it?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Oh yeah, TTM 82mm TB was great mod. Well, If you will just lower your price for the fuel rail that would be great .

You are looking at 3-4 weeks. There are 8 rails ahead of you!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon

What's cheaper? TTM fuel rail or rebuilding the engine because of a popped #8?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
It's farthermost from the two points of initial pressurization; those being the two standard closed ends of the rail.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
That's a great point. I have to agree. The TTM injectors fit well, flow more at a lower duty cycle so they aren't at their mechanical limits when under full load, high MPH conditions. The rail works to eliminate differentials from side to side and front to back.

Mikey, not questioning the workmanship, but by welding in a Y so to speak, how do you inspect inside the pipe to ensure there isn't any welding slag or cooled droplets of metal blocking the pipe to one side or the other? Essentially, you could create an even larger pressure drop in the rail if that happened. If you did a loop like Bruce's then you could at least use a flashlight to make sure you didn't have any blockages.

Nick
Old 06-30-2011, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Very nice, you should market is considering what the alternative is selling for.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by nick 55
That's a great point. I have to agree. The TTM injectors fit well, flow more at a lower duty cycle so they aren't at their mechanical limits when under full load, high MPH conditions. The rail works to eliminate differentials from side to side and front to back.

Mikey, not questioning the workmanship, but by welding in a Y so to speak, how do you inspect inside the pipe to ensure there isn't any welding slag or cooled droplets of metal blocking the pipe to one side or the other? Essentially, you could create an even larger pressure drop in the rail if that happened. If you did a loop like Bruce's then you could at least use a flashlight to make sure you didn't have any blockages.

Nick
Welding these kinds of pipes don't require them to be strong, all they need to do is seal. The welding is probably done only superficial.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
When should somebody be concerned about doing a fuel rail? Heavy modified (eg 180+ pulley?), or it can happen to even a slightly modded car?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Thing is who can tune for it?
and am talking every day driving not juts wot....what about people with different mods...pulley sizes and so forth

Bruce if some one runs a smaller pulley does that mean they are less likely to run at max cycle?
is the issue boost related?...i.e the more boost the higher chance you will run lean up top?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
from the beginning it was said that if you have more than 500rwhp then this mod is for you. so I would say anyone that is running pulley+headers & a tune may want to look at this mod and yes a stock system would benefit from this, if someone were to remain stock you could install the fuel rail with your stock injectors (Bruce correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 07-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by Zod
Thing is who can tune for it?
Jerry of EC has over 50 hours developing the file(working closely with Shardul) for the injectors and fuel rail set up as of now.

FYI-Jeremy of OE is tuning Bramage's car all day Saturday with the TTM Injector and Fuel Rail Kit so there will be 2 options for tuning.

I know with just the injectors and fuel rail Jerry gained 25rwhp on Shardul's car as the only addition mod.

Originally Posted by Zod
Bruce if some one runs a smaller pulley does that mean they are less likely to run at max cycle?
is the issue boost related?...i.e the more boost the higher chance you will run lean up top?
It definitely has a lot to do with the amount of boost, hence pulley size.You also have to factor in exhaust, cooling, tb size, etc but mainly it's the boost level.

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
from the beginning it was said that if you have more than 500rwhp then this mod is for you. so I would say anyone that is running pulley+headers & a tune may want to look at this mod and yes a stock system would benefit from this, if someone were to remain stock you could install the fuel rail with your stock injectors (Bruce correct me if I'm wrong)
After a couple of discussions with various tuners we believe that the 500rwhp makes the injectors and fuel rail set up mandatory unless you never do extensive pulls through 3rd and well into 4th which is where the damage starts to happen.

Jack you are correct in that the fuel rail will help even stock cars running stock injectors with a more balanced pressure to all of the injectors. While the fuel rail helps to diminish the fuel starvation issue the injectors that I use are the game changer because of the dual spray pattern. It is as close to direct injection that you will get with this engine.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
You are looking at 3-4 weeks. There are 8 rails ahead of you!
Is the rail available on the website? I can't seem to find it.

I did note that there is a claimed 15-20hp gain from cooling mods alone, can't say I've seen anyone claim that before.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Is the rail available on the website? I can't seem to find it.

I did note that there is a claimed 15-20hp gain from cooling mods alone, can't say I've seen anyone claim that before.
The TTM Injector and Fuel Rail Kit is $1580. There are now 11 orders for the fuel rail and it usually takes 5-10 days to get the unmodified rails from Germany.

Any gains associated with cooling mods simply means that, because the cooling system is upgraded, the IAT's stay lower for a longer period of time and the ECU keeps more timing in it so there is a gain. Are you still confused? Lay the dyno graphs over each other after a cooling system upgrade and you will see the gains.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
bruce now tht the price is out in the open what would a setup run for the s/c 3.2 v6 m112 engine? lots of lean conditions with the srt-6/slk32 guys running the 181/185 crank pulleys in 3rd gear. might be a decent market for you on the crossfire forum if the price is within reason.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
bruce now tht the price is out in the open what would a setup run for the s/c 3.2 v6 m112 engine? lots of lean conditions with the srt-6/slk32 guys running the 181/185 crank pulleys in 3rd gear. might be a decent market for you on the crossfire forum if the price is within reason.
It looks like TTM is getting into the 32 market!

Thanks Steve for being the guinea pig. Your fuel rail is on order!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Bruce this is great stuff brotha! Anyone with a modded 55k motor needs this setup as insurance to their motor. As Clayton stated, which is cheaper?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by 930chas
Bruce this is great stuff brotha! Anyone with a modded 55k motor needs this setup as insurance to their motor. As Clayton stated, which is cheaper?
It was great speaking with you last night West Coast!

It is a no-brainer but we know some 55 owners are lacking there!

Clayton always thinks everything is about him. He has very bad flatulence(Flatulence is the expulsion through the rectum of a mixture of gases that are byproducts of the digestion process of mammals and other animals.) Need I say more!