W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New E63 5.5TT using electronic steering....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Unhappy New E63 5.5TT using electronic steering....

So part of the announcement of the W212 E63 (for sale in Sept) was that they are now going to be using electronic steering instead of hydraulic. They claim it's more economical since it'll only be working when you are actually steering.

The new F10 BMW went that route and everybody seems to complain that it feels vague and no where near as precise as the older E60.

I haven't heard if the F10 M5 will also be using it, but I'm not that happy to hear that it'll be in the W212 E63. Maybe MB will do a better job, but I dunno....

I think certain Audis have it now too.

Plus it'll have stop/go, too.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
ouch, thats a bummer, i guess someone iwll find a way around it somehow, like Co's on a 55k
Old 04-28-2011, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I wish they would do this stuff only to the regular Mercedes models.... NOT to AMGs

Lets hope they get the formula right though this time, as there is always a chance.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
start/stop is easy to turn off, its the steering i hope they perfect
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
start/stop is easy to turn off, its the steering i hope they perfect

can the star/stop function be turned off ?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Ali_E55
can the star/stop function be turned off ?
Through STAR, yes
Old 04-29-2011, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E55 AMG (2006), Mercedes 560 SEL (1991)
Reminds me of their once much-touted electronic brakes...
Old 04-29-2011, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Through STAR, yes
I'm guessing it'll be the same as with the new S63 which also has start/stop. In C mode it'll always be on. But in S mode it'll be off. But you do have to put it in S mode on every re-start since the car defaults always to C (or "efficiency") mode.

It's the electronic steering that concerns me. They seemed to have the steering dialed in okay with the current W212 E63 (at least relative to earlier E Class versions), and now they are going electronic which usually means less steering feedback. We'll have to see when the test reports start coming in from the press. Numb and vague steering has always been the drawback to a Mercedes, imho.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Electric steering? Wow that's a bummer. Hopefully it can prove me wrong
Old 04-29-2011, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did find this from the UK MB corporate website. Maybe they did get it right compared to BMW and Audi.

Review hails electromechanical steering of new Mercedes-Benz CLS
The new Mercedes-Benz CLS is set apart from its predecessor and other Mercedes-Benz sports saloons by its electromechanical steering, it has been noted. Writing for the Daily Telegraph, Anthony French-Constant observed that unlike numerous rival manufacturers, Mercedes-Benz's efforts to replace hydraulic helms with electric power have proved to be successful. Added to this, the vehicle boasts five per cent savings on fuel consumption and emissions in comparison to its predecessor. Mercedes-Benz has therefore become the first manufacturer to get the electromechanical steering concept correct. "The CLS steering is beautifully weighted, precise and direct, suiting a car of this size absolutely," he said. "Allied to a more sophisticated chassis, it makes the new CLS far more of a delight to hustle along than expected." The Mercedes-Benz CLS sets "new standards in design, performance and efficiency", according to Ola Kallenius, Head of Mercedes-Benz AMG."

Of course in the end it's all about fuel savings. Electronic steering systems can achieve a fuel savings of around 0.1 - 0.2 l/100 km compared with conventional hydraulic power steering systems. But the down side can be a feeling of vagueness and less feedback which people have been complaining about. And with a Benz it's something else electronic that can fail, lol.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
335i
Autocar reviewed and non-AMG cls and they praised its laser like steering and it uses electronic steering.. I believe GT500s before 2011 used hydraulic steering before the now praised electronically assisted steering system.
If MB screws it up ill be ashamed, cause the current E63 has a amazing rack as it is.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Guys, big difference between electric steering and electromechanical steering.
Only the power assist is electric. The rack is still mechanical.
This is all about getting the power robbing hydraulic power steering pump, that is always on, off the motor, and on to the new all electric parts bin.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E 55 AMG, 08 E63, 06 CLS 55 IWC, 2012 E63 Designo Mystic Red
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
This is all about getting the power robbing hydraulic power steering pump, that is always on, off the motor, and on to the new all electric parts bin.
Good info. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2011, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But aren't the terms used equally by manufacturers? None are actual "drive-by-wire" as the rack is always mechanical. It's steering assist which is why it's variable, etc.. Either an electric motor to run the pump or an all electric system but it's still a mechanical rack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iobrw...eature=related

I think it all depends on how the manufacturer uses the nomenclature. And it's not clear to me exactly the details of the system MB is using. And I assume that's why the review said that unlike other manufacturers that MB "got it right this time." Audi uses what they call "electromechanical" too (and there are complaints of vague steering.) BMW's system is noticeably different for sure. Same with VW.

So which system are they using?

In electro-hydraulic steering, one electrically powered steering concept uses a high efficiency pump driven by an electric motor. Pump speed is regulated by an electric controller to vary pump pressure and flow, providing steering efforts tailored for different driving situations. The pump can be run at low speed or shut off to provide energy savings during straight ahead driving (which is most of the time in most world markets).

Direct electric steering uses an electric motor attached to the steering rack via a gear mechanism (no pump or fluid). A variety of motor types and gear drives is possible. A microprocessor controls steering dynamics and driver effort. Inputs include vehicle speed and steering, wheel torque, angular position and turning rate.

Last edited by 220S; 04-29-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by 220S
But aren't the terms used equally by manufacturers? None are actual "drive-by-wire" as the rack is always mechanical. It's steering assist which is why it's variable, etc.. Either an electric motor to run the pump or an all electric system but it's still a mechanical rack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iobrw...eature=related

I think it all depends on how the manufacturer uses the nomenclature. And it's not clear to me exactly the details of the system MB is using. And I assume that's why the review said that unlike other manufacturers that MB "got it right this time." Audi uses what they call "electromechanical" too (and there are complaints of vague steering.) BMW's system is noticeably different for sure. Same with VW.

So which system are they using?

In electro-hydraulic steering, one electrically powered steering concept uses a high efficiency pump driven by an electric motor. Pump speed is regulated by an electric controller to vary pump pressure and flow, providing steering efforts tailored for different driving situations. The pump can be run at low speed or shut off to provide energy savings during straight ahead driving (which is most of the time in most world markets).

Direct electric steering uses an electric motor attached to the steering rack via a gear mechanism (no pump or fluid). A variety of motor types and gear drives is possible. A microprocessor controls steering dynamics and driver effort. Inputs include vehicle speed and steering, wheel torque, angular position and turning rate.
They, to the best of my knowledge are using a electro-hydraulic.
I think the A class has this now.
http://www.atzonline.com/index.php;d...loc=1/id=10506
Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They, to the best of my knowledge are using a electro-hydraulic.
I think the A class has this now.
http://www.atzonline.com/index.php;d...loc=1/id=10506
According to that article it's an EPHS instead of an EPS. We'll have to see how it feels. I'm sure the car mag editors will report soon (the article I quoted is a Mercedes corporate release.)

All of them have mechanical racks. And this is only about assist when needed (and the fuel savings to be run electronically.) In the end it all depends on the road feel based on the programming of that assist, etc., and the difference one gets from a mechanical pump versus an electric pump.

Hopefully they did it right and we won't hear complaints like with other designs. Although this is where all manufacturers are going, so it will be perfected over time. And drivers will eventually get used to it....
Old 04-29-2011, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
All kidding aside, I was really hoping for a Mercedes that Car and Driver would FINALLY praise. Nope. I can see it coming. Just like the brake issue.

"We LOVED the new E63, but the steering unfortunately took away what we would have called the best AMG to date"

Ahhh, screw C&D, they hate everything Benz.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
All kidding aside, I was really hoping for a Mercedes that Car and Driver would FINALLY praise. Nope. I can see it coming. Just like the brake issue.

"We LOVED the new E63, but the steering unfortunately took away what we would have called the best AMG to date"

I am GLAD to see im not the only one.. Like the SLS, 'we loved everything but the hood was to long and the we bumped our heads on the door......'
Jerks
Old 05-01-2011, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haters crazy
If electronic steering is similar to the bmw "active steering" thats awesome! Loved the active steering on my 6 series few years back... Its like a sprint booster for the steering wheel lol.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Through STAR, yes
No, no you cannot, it's emission related, not a coding option
Old 05-01-2011, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by 220S
So part of the announcement of the W212 E63 (for sale in Sept) was that they are now going to be using electronic steering instead of hydraulic. They claim it's more economical since it'll only be working when you are actually steering.

The new F10 BMW went that route and everybody seems to complain that it feels vague and no where near as precise as the older E60.

I haven't heard if the F10 M5 will also be using it, but I'm not that happy to hear that it'll be in the W212 E63. Maybe MB will do a better job, but I dunno....

I think certain Audis have it now too.

Plus it'll have stop/go, too.

It's a electro-hydraulic power pack, VERY efficient and can be mounted anywhere. BMW Did it on the Mini 5 years ago and it works great. Nothing to be frightened of
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGPilot
It's a electro-hydraulic power pack, VERY efficient and can be mounted anywhere. BMW Did it on the Mini 5 years ago and it works great. Nothing to be frightened of
Why did they go EPS on the F10? Audi has the EPHS set up but even then some people have complained. Apparently you can change settings thru VAG-COM and 'tighten' it up. No manufacturer is identical in their set up, so it's still an unknown until I drive it. But it sounds like it's been done well by MB according to at least that one report.....
Old 05-01-2011, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jakpro1

LOL. They've already started complaining about the S550's new electro-hydraulic steering.

"But ABC-equipped cars (all S600s include it as standard) have hydraulically boosted steering, whereas those without ABC have—gulp!—electric-assisted steering. It might not sound like much, but the difference is like having a drink made with well liquor or with the stuff pulled from the top shelf. It’ll do the job, but it’s nowhere near as smooth and satisfying. The electrically boosted rack, which is also found in the new-for-2010 S400 hybrid, is a characterless affair."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

I'm still not 100% sold on it in the new W212 E63..... but again, we'll have to see.