Sponsored by:

E55 problems...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 E550 AWD
Unhappy E55 problems...

Man, I was so excited, I picked up this 95,000 mile 2005 E55 from FL. Had a great trip to Michigan, with no issues whatsoever. Then I get off at the final rest area to use the restroom real quick, I jump in the car and punch it down the entrance ramp and bam, into limp mode. My opinion is that it is trying to shift to 1st gear. Because when it shifts it feels like it starts to lock up the back tires, but then goes instantly into limp mode. "No Messages" It does this just about anytime that I floor it in 3rd gear. Because of this issue, I just had the transmission fully rebuilt with some updates. The first time I floored it after the full rebuild. Same exact problem.

Then next problem, the SC idler pulley came apart and threw my belt off. Replaced that.

Next, if I punch it sometimes it cuts off the blower and shows "ESP failure" on the dash and my cruise wont work until I shut it off and restart. Different limp mode than the above one.

And finally, my SC clutch came apart and the bearings are actually falling out of the clutch. Not sure what to do about this one.

I don't know if I want to sell the car for a loss, or fix it and drive it scared of what will go wrong next.

Any advice?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e55
Sounds like trouble.

I assume you bought it from a private party?

Supercharger shut down is often the IC pump, which is an easy thing to upgrade.

Id take it to an indy and get all that shiz looked at before you keep on romping on it
Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 AM

e55 2005
Yeah I strongly believe its the I/C pump, same happened to me I came down to miami from Florida everything was fine , I was pushing it the whole way down, next day after 2-3 pulls it just went into e500 mode. New BOSCH pump at dealer is gonna be 700$ installed but supposedly guys here told me the newer one is better and it shouldnt soak anymore.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Those are the biggest two issues, I've seen with the E55. The SC clutch/bearings and the IC pump. Other than that, the engine is solid.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Viking War Ship
Can you further define what you are calling "limp mode"? What does the car do exactly?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Search nachi bearing on ebay for your sc and go check your tires as it sounds like a mismatch in sizes or a wheel speed sensor.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 AM

'12 E550 AWD
Thank you for the replies! I was upset when I made the post, but every time I get into the car I still love it. I just need to take care of the list of issues.

SC bearing is replaced, and at the same time I shimmed the SC clutch, the tolerance was .041"! Now its .011"

I checked out the tires and one on the back is newer than the other! I guess I will pick up a pair of rear tires before I hurt my diff. One of those things buying a used car I guess.

Limp mode explanation:
I have 2 different ones. One, if I punch it through 2nd and most of 3rd gear, when I let off, it takes about 5 seconds to shift into 4th gear, but when it does it kind of feels like it tries to shift into a LOWER gear so the tires start to lock up for a second and then it goes into neutral until I get below 35mph. No messages on the display.
Next one, If I punch it in 1st gear or low 2nd gear as soon as the tires begin to spin it shuts the blower off and displays "ESP failure" or "ESP malfunction" until I restart the car.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TurboTim
Thank you for the replies! I was upset when I made the post, but every time I get into the car I still love it. I just need to take care of the list of issues.

SC bearing is replaced, and at the same time I shimmed the SC clutch, the tolerance was .041"! Now its .011"

I checked out the tires and one on the back is newer than the other! I guess I will pick up a pair of rear tires before I hurt my diff. One of those things buying a used car I guess.

Limp mode explanation:
I have 2 different ones. One, if I punch it through 2nd and most of 3rd gear, when I let off, it takes about 5 seconds to shift into 4th gear, but when it does it kind of feels like it tries to shift into a LOWER gear so the tires start to lock up for a second and then it goes into neutral until I get below 35mph. No messages on the display.
Next one, If I punch it in 1st gear or low 2nd gear as soon as the tires begin to spin it shuts the blower off and displays "ESP failure" or "ESP malfunction" until I restart the car.
Hmm...those are interesting problems. I had a bad intercooler pump and the SC would shut down but the car would never do anything "weird" like your transmission problem and would never display anything on the instrument cluster. You need to have your car scanned to see if there are any codes related to your drivetrain.