W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end wiggle at WOT SOLVED!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
Not much going on in there, I guess....
You apparently are not willing to learn anything and look at other information. Your loss.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Snogard
I know that. But we are discussing WHY is that so...
Why because changes in toe cause instability when driving. The wiggle is the rubber deflecting and letting toe change under load. Watch a W211 in a corner at the limit with a bumpy surface. If you ever have you will see both front and rear wheels wiggling around with deflection of rubber. Changing out to mon-ball joints will eliminate must of the change in toe since you cant deflect metal.

I don't don't care to take things personally nor do I care to cause tension but you will be much more effective in learning about the W211 by engaging in mature discussions with members.

We want to help you understand things but remember of us have had MB's with 5 link suspensions since 1986 (W124 300E). It is great you have access to several shops and that you have done motor swaps on the M119 but you also dont know if we were working on diagnosing cars with cracked pistons and fuel starvation issues back many years when people started modding the M119.

We can all share our knowledge and create a place for learning. Or we can scream yell and insult. Your pick.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Snogard
Just for @AMGPilot!!!!

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2...n/tracking.htm

Citat:

"On the driven wheels the net forces are in the opposing direction under acceleration, and the force reaction to acceleration is in the same direction as the direction of travel. The net result of this is that the driven wheels TEND TO TOE_IN. Under constant velocity, forces typically cancel out, so the motive force equals the resistive force, and hence the wheels tend towards their static position. Under deceleration, however, the toe-angle changes are in the same direction as that shown above for the undriven wheels."

End of citat.

Thank you veery much. See ya. Inbetween do some real work, not just reading the internet. And learn to listen to people with first hand experience.

P.S. Do i need to public post your PM? Dont think so....but if you will push some more, i will do exactly that. All our conversation is saved and I WILL post it. Just ask for it...

P.S.P.S.

What will you do NOW, Mr.smart? Continue to insult me, rather to post that YOU made a mistake (because you thought that i am another boy with no experience and full of bull****? Well, do good thinking before you post anything else here. My advice.
There are more issues to investigate here as well. One would be the design of the 5 link suspension found in the W211 and all other MB's in current production (sans SUV's). Another would be the change in toe associated with vehicle squat under load. The camber and toe will change as the car transfers weight to the rear.

The wiggle is not associated with a static alignment setting but rather a fluctuation in toe during a acceleration run or corner load; changes in position due to bushing deflection.

Switching to a stiffer tire sidewall also helps in the department. I had a terrible wiggle on my SL55 with 19 inch wheels and 295 Michelin PS2 tires. The PS2 has a VERY soft sidewall to increase ride quality (you can actually feel it when pressing on the sidewall of a unmounted PS2 as there is a very soft spot in the middle of the side wall). I changed to the P-Zero used on newer MB's (C63 SL63 E63 etc) and the issue was cured by 80%. The rest of the wiggle is bushing deflection but I chose to not change to RENNtech links as I do not drive that hard in this vehicle.

Cure the deflection in the tire and suspension and the wiggle is gone.