CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Originally Posted by skratch77
Old 06-09-2011, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I would use a fleece filter in anycar I drive

According to Daimler, their fleece (Mann+Hummel) has been replaced with "durable polyester." The older fleece had issues with coming apart.

It's possible that the Hengst (which has a paper type outside element) has polyester inside. I'm going to buy one later today and cut it in half.

It's all that is available for the M156 spec under sheet 229.5/229.51. Tell me who is not using the A 000 180 30 09 for the M156 and what filter they are using instead?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by 220S
According to Daimler, their fleece (Mann+Hummel) has been replaced with "durable polyester." The older fleece had issues with coming apart.

It's possible that the Hengst (which has a paper type outside element) has polyester inside. I'm going to buy one later today and cut it in half.

It's all that is available for the M156 spec under sheet 229.5/229.51. Tell me who is not using the A 000 180 30 09 for the M156 and what filter they are using instead?
Does mann make a filter that will fit that car?

Im sure the ones they use are alot better than the regular paper filters you can get at autozone like the fram ones.Those are junk!!!

I wouldnt worry as long as you are using one that the dealer uses on your car.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Im not just talking about using paper filters on MBs,im talking about using them in all performance cars.

I dont think any of you would run a paper filter in a 680whp turbo.

Heres a thought on that e63 that blew a rod,maybe it had 12000 miles on its paper filter and it blocked oil pressure and threw a rod.

paper filters are ok for 3k mile changes but I would not run one in any of my cars.

GT-ER just had a thread on how his car sounded like crap with a paper filter and just by changing to a fleece it lowered his valve train noise.

That means the paper filter was blocking flow.

Go ahead and run what ever you want in your car,my friends speed shop that works on cars that you could only dream of would never use a paper filter.

we just did a F40 with custom LM turbos and a motec setup and a fully built engine.

I cant wait to see what it puts down when he tunes it.

Those turbos were 16k a pop from italy and I dont think a paper filter is going in this car lol

I ran a $4 paper motorcraft filter on my 700rwhp supercharged cobra...never had any oil related issues...in fact hundreds of high horsepower mustang cobras use the same filter.

The E63 used the factory specified paper filter that was installed by the mercedes dealer.

If your oil filter is causing a harmful restriction to the flow of your motor, its because there is too much junk in your oil.

Paper oil filters are factory installed on most cars available for sale for the last 100 years.

GT-ER had a fun placebo moment

"we"...you didn't do **** all...the shop did. Then again, big deal, an expensive car with a turbo kit. Its not like tuning a motec on a twin turbo car is that difficult.

You could very easily run a paper oil filter in that car. Power level has nothing to do with the type of oil filter that is needed...then again, nor does the price of the turbos.

I would use a fleece filter in anycar I drive
congrats, but since you've proven to lack knowledge in a lot of areas, including oil filters, I would refrain from making any recommendations to anyone.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos

Im sure the ones they use are alot better than the regular paper filters you can get at autozone like the fram ones.Those are junk!!!

you backpedal worse than most politicians
Old 06-09-2011, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Um, that was the whole point of the thread.

The OP got the correct filter from the dealer for the M156 motor that Daimler requires. That was the gist of my entire effort at posting actual printed data in my post.

Nobody here ever told him to get an Autozone filter. And now you have him all scared and he'll be searching fruitlessly for a Mann+Hummel fleece filter for his E63.

Anyway, I'm going to cut one in half just out of my own curiosity. I'll post pics tomorrow. Then at least we'll all know of the construction of the M156 OEM filter.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
I like to wear fleece in the winter, but it is just too f-ing hot for fleece right now.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk

GT-ER had a fun placebo moment
Hmmm...let's see.

I change the oil and filter ( paper ) and started to hear crazy loud lifter noises so I change the filter AGAIN to a fleece filter cause my brother ( who's been a mechanic for over almost 20 years ) told me he's seen paper filters cause oil pressure drops on some engines and cause valve noise to go up. I took his advice and used a fleece filter. The noise didn't just BARELY go down, it easily went down 50%. I'm talking about a difference so big that even my wife ( who doesn't know crap about cars ) said it was quieter.

If you turn off the lights in your room, is the darkness placebo also?

Keep in mind, I have nothing against paper filters. I've used them on many vehicles and never had a problem. I guess M113's just have weak pumps or sensitive lifters.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GT-ER
I change the oil and filter ( paper ) and started to hear crazy loud lifter noises so I change the filter AGAIN to a fleece filter cause my brother ( who's been a mechanic for over almost 20 years ) told me he's seen paper filters cause oil pressure drops on some engines and cause valve noise to go up. I took his advice and used a fleece filter.
Not to belabor the point, but you have a 2005 E55 and you're not supposed to use a paper filter in the first place.

The proper filter is the A 000 180 26 09 fleece filter, which are required for the 2005 E55 M113 under 229.5 and 229.51.

Probably not a bad idea to do what Daimler specs for that car.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 220S
Not to belabor the point, but you have a 2005 E55 and you're not supposed to use a paper filter in the first place.

The proper filter is the A 000 180 26 09 fleece filter, which are required for the 2005 E55 M113 under 229.5 and 229.51.

Probably not a bad idea to do what Daimler specs for that car.
I'm not arguing that...I'm arguing that Oliverk says it's placebo. You are 100% correct. I, like OliverK, though it wouldn't make a difference though. I was dead wrong.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here are the pics I promised. The OP was worried about having the wrong filter and that not getting fleece would be an issue. There is no fleece filter for the M156 motor. I asked my SM about it and he said they had a bulletin a long time ago that they discontinued fleece because Mercedes no longer uses FSS. All maintenance and drain intervals are now mileage and time only. With FSS the system was determining the OCI and some owners were running 13k and more before changing the oil. The fleece helped protect for long intervals. Now the max OCI is officially 10k and on a paper element. And as my SM says, most AMG owners do a 7k drain anyway (or less.)

The German made Hengst filters are supposedly very good, and the paper almost feels like polyester or a synthetic of some kind. But bottom line is that fleece was never used with the M156. No reason to worry, it's what AMG requires for the M156. And it's not going to fail, either

I cut it open just to see its construction. Doesn't look like anything special. Dealer gave me the wholesale price when I told them I was just going to cut it up

Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
That was above and beyond for the forum. I personally had no doubt that there was only one filter for the engine. This is the problem of a mixed engine forum.

The filter is not the only thing "Hengst" the housing was likely designed by them as well. See here.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
That was above and beyond for the forum. I personally had no doubt that there was only one filter for the engine. This is the problem of a mixed engine forum.

The filter is not the only thing "Hengst" the housing was likely designed by them as well. See here.
Thanks for posting the link.

I just want to settle it once and for all. As you say because of the mixed motor forum, there tends to be info on MBWorld that doesn't cover both platforms equally.

I also wanted to see how the Hengst was constructed and so it satisfied my curiosity, too.

But it was erroneous for people to post that using the Hengst would be potentially damaging to the motor because it's not fleece. That kind of stuff leads to urban myths and just isn't correct. The OEM filter is not an off-the-shelf Autozone filter. And it won't fall apart, either. The pic that was posted earlier is some unknown cardboard POS filter and had no bearing on this thread. The OP got the correct filter and doesn't need to worry.