Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > E55 AMG, E63 AMG, E43AMG (W210, W211, W212,W213) > W211 AMG
For those who think the whine upon cold start up is you air injection pump. >

For those who think the whine upon cold start up is you air injection pump.

Notices
W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who think the whine upon cold start up is you air injection pump.

 
Old 06-12-2011, 03:32 AM
  #26  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
IT'S NOT!

When you turn your car on in the mornings you hear this power steering like whine that mostly goes away in about a minute or so. The general consensus in this forum is that the whine came from the secondary air injection pump.

Well, today I removed my SAIP and the whine is still there as it was before and would still quiet down after a minute or so. Shocked at my findings I was determined to find out where this noise came from. Since it sounds like a power steering whine, I checked the power steering pump. No go.

So I sat down thinking, what could sound like a power steering pump? It came to my mind that a transmission pump is actually pretty identical to a power steering pump in design and so I placed close attention to my transmission.

THE NOISE IS COMING FROM THE TRANSMISSION PUMP which is located near the torque converter. Granted, I've heard this same noise on every single E55 I've heard start up so I can only assume it's normal.

Anyways, hope this helps you guys sleep better. I know I will.

BTW- I'm guessing the SAIP weighs about 5lbs. Less than I expected but a lighter car is a lighter car...lol
Hi man!
You ask me to post our conversation (my part of it)...here is it:

...i think that you are wrong, because our cold start (and sometimes even hot) whine is made from engine OIL PUMP, not from tranny pump. Just go under the engine and listen under oil pan...you will hear oil pump buzzing. It is buzzing because it have 6 internal gears (because of 2 place oil pickup), on the other hand W220 S55k engine oil pump and SL55 oil pump have only 2 gears (because they only have 1 place oil pick up), so that is the reasson they dont whine).I know that because i personaly swap my blown E55 engine with new S55 engine, so i had to swap oil pumps also (and i put to pieces both of the pumps to clean them) .
Also i have discovered that with thinner oil (like german castrol 0W-30) buzzing (whine) goes away at cold start, but it continues to whine at hot. On the other hand i have discovered that with thick oil (mobil1 5W-50) buzzing is heavy when cold, but it totaly dissapeared when hot. In a few dazs i will try OEM mobil1 0W-40 oil (i am not big fan of that oil, so that is the reason why i havent put it in before) or some other 40 weigjt oil and see what will happen....
Also that buzzing (whine) is present only when idle and when rolling ONLY between idle and 1700 rpm. Anythink over that rpm it is quiet.
Go and listen and report back to me what you have discovered... Also on that board there are at least 2 threads when people actualy swap oil pumps because of that whine, but with no succes-new instaled pumps did also whine.
There is aslo a lot of threads here when people are describing noticably bigger whine after new oil change. Noise eventually goes down (but never totaly quiet)-it seems that we have to have perfect viscosity oil in specific climate for oil pump to not make buzz...
Thesere are my thoughts....

Last edited by Snogard; 06-12-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Snogard is offline  
Old 06-12-2011, 03:34 AM
  #27  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 510
Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
I just got a message from Snogard stating that the whine is actually from the engine oil pump. I have to further investigate this as I heard the noise come from the rear of the engine/front of transmission but he seems to know this as a fact. I asked him to post it here.

Who ever told you that is correct.
knowbenz is offline  
Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 AM
  #28  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 4,173
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Snogard View Post
Hi man!
You ask me to post our conversation (my part of it)...here is it:

...i think that you are wrong, because our cold start (and sometimes even hot) whine is made from engine OIL PUMP, not from tranny pump. Just go under the engine and listen under oil pan...you will hear oil pump buzzing. It is buzzing because it have 6 internal gears (because of 2 place oil pickup), on the other hand W220 S55k engine oil pump and SL55 oil pump have only 2 gears (because they only have 1 place oil pick up), so that is the reasson they dont whine).I know that because i personaly swap my blown E55 engine with new S55 engine, so i had to swap oil pumps also (and i put to pieces both of the pumps to clean them) .
Also i have discovered that with thinner oil (like german castrol 0W-30) buzzing (whine) goes away at cold start, but it continues to whine at hot. On the other hand i have discovered that with thick oil (mobil1 5W-50) buzzing is heavy when cold, but it totaly dissapeared when hot. In a few dazs i will try OEM mobil1 0W-40 oil (i am not big fan of that oil, so that is the reason why i havent put it in before) or some other 40 weigjt oil and see what will happen....
Also that buzzing (whine) is present only when idle and when rolling ONLY between idle and 1700 rpm. Anythink over that rpm it is quiet.
Go and listen and report back to me what you have discovered... Also on that board there are at least 2 threads when people actualy swap oil pumps because of that whine, but with no succes-new instaled pumps did also whine.
There is aslo a lot of threads here when people are describing noticably bigger whine after new oil change. Noise eventually goes down (but never totaly quiet)-it seems that we have to have perfect viscosity oil in specific climate for oil pump to not make buzz...
Thesere are my thoughts....

Thanks for posting this. I guess you're more sure than I am...lol.

I did however get under the car and it sounded like it was coming from the transmission ( thus why I came to the conclusion ).

I've heard this whine on other M113's ( non supercharged ). I've even heard it on M112's. Since they all use the same transmission I thought it made sense.

Are you 100% sure it's the oil pump?
GT-ER is offline  
Old 06-12-2011, 02:02 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 267
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mercedes E55 AMG (2006), Mercedes 560 SEL (1991)
Will run a cross-check but Snogard's post seems conclusive...
OK55 is offline  
Old 06-13-2011, 01:49 AM
  #30  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
Thanks for posting this. I guess you're more sure than I am...lol.

I did however get under the car and it sounded like it was coming from the transmission ( thus why I came to the conclusion ).

I've heard this whine on other M113's ( non supercharged ). I've even heard it on M112's. Since they all use the same transmission I thought it made sense.

Are you 100% sure it's the oil pump?

Yeah, in my case and in all other E55 W211 that i have heard personaly
and on youtube (and read about it here) i am 100% that this whinning noise comes from our (abnormaly big) oil pump. I think that all E55 W211 are affected (some have more noise , some have less, bot none of them is noisless), but those with louder exhausts just dont hear it...Althoug nobody seems to have ANY problems with oil delivery (other then annoying whin).
If you like, i can post links of some threads from that board where people are describing this symptom (many of them first realized when they did first oil change-at that moment the whin is the loudest and eventualy goes away)...
My advice to you is just forget about it and dont worry (or avoid rpms under 1700 :-))))


EDIT: Can you send me your audio record recorded from the bottom of engine? I will tell you if it is the same buzz or not. But i am almost 100% that is is even without listening to your audio....
Although i can send you my audio record with 0W-30 German Castrol (which have the loudest whin when hot) and we can compare....

OT: Btw. i have discovered some other thing about oil filter and (upper part of)engine noise, but i wont make mess in this thread, so if you are interested you can PM me...

Last edited by Snogard; 06-13-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Snogard is offline  
Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 AM
  #31  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 4,173
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Snogard View Post
Yeah, in my case and in all other E55 W211 that i have heard personaly
and on youtube (and read about it here) i am 100% that this whinning noise comes from our (abnormaly big) oil pump. I think that all E55 W211 are affected (some have more noise , some have less, bot none of them is noisless), but those with louder exhausts just dont hear it...Althoug nobody seems to have ANY problems with oil delivery (other then annoying whin).
If you like, i can post links of some threads from that board where people are describing this symptom (many of them first realized when they did first oil change-at that moment the whin is the loudest and eventualy goes away)...
My advice to you is just forget about it and dont worry (or avoid rpms under 1700 :-))))


EDIT: Can you send me your audio record recorded from the bottom of engine? I will tell you if it is the same buzz or not. But i am almost 100% that is is even without listening to your audio....
Although i can send you my audio record with 0W-30 German Castrol (which have the loudest whin when hot) and we can compare....

OT: Btw. i have discovered some other thing about oil filter and (upper part of)engine noise, but i wont make mess in this thread, so if you are interested you can PM me...
Please, post all info regardless if it starts to go slightly off topic. I'm not worried about the noise as it's always been there and I beat the CRAP out of my car with no issues.

I'll try to get under the car again, this time cold. I did it when warm where the whine is much quieter. Maybe cold it'll be apparent that it from the front.
GT-ER is offline  
Old 06-13-2011, 02:22 AM
  #32  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
Please, post all info regardless if it starts to go slightly off topic. I'm not worried about the noise as it's always been there and I beat the CRAP out of my car with no issues.

I'll try to get under the car again, this time cold. I did it when warm where the whine is much quieter. Maybe cold it'll be apparent that it from the front.
Oil pump noises posted on that board that i have found:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ine-noise.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-oil-pump.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...se-engine.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...oil-today.html

About oil filter element; It seems that using any other then OEM MAN filter is making engine idle very noisy because of lack of oil pressure. I discovered (with 3 different NON OEM aftermarket oil filter inserts) that they are collapsed after few 1000 km (because they dont have circle reinforcments arround filter body) and because of that collapsed state oil pressure drasticaly increase before filter element and DECREASE after filter element (when the oil comes into the engine itself), so THAT is the reason for noisier engine with non OEM filters. I know that because i use oil pressure sensor since owning my car. So sumam sumarum my advice is to use nothing else then OEM Mercedes (Mann) oil filter.
Snogard is offline  
Old 06-13-2011, 02:42 AM
  #33  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 4,173
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Snogard View Post
Oil pump noises posted on that board that i have found:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ine-noise.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-oil-pump.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...se-engine.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...oil-today.html

About oil filter element; It seems that using any other then OEM MAN filter is making engine idle very noisy because of lack of oil pressure. I discovered (with 3 different NON OEM aftermarket oil filter inserts) that they are collapsed after few 1000 km (because they dont have circle reinforcments arround filter body) and because of that collapsed state oil pressure drasticaly increase before filter element and DECREASE after filter element (when the oil comes into the engine itself), so THAT is the reason for noisier engine with non OEM filters. I know that because i use oil pressure sensor since owning my car. So sumam sumarum my advice is to use nothing else then OEM Mercedes (Mann) oil filter.
Yes, same thing happened to me! I made a topic on it and everything. Good info. I love learning everything I can from these engines as some day it could come in handy.
GT-ER is offline  
Old 08-21-2011, 01:09 PM
  #34  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 32
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
95 SL600
I believe that the common pump whine is coming from the pump not being able to suck the fluid through the filter and cavitating. Mione has been making that noise since I got it a few months ago, so I removed the filter from it today and noticed that the felt type media was stretched over the plastic filter,towards the flow of the fluid. this indicates to me that the media is not flowing enough.

I carefully removed the crimped on metal cover and removed the filter material, and put it back together. No trans whine on start-up, and much smoother second to third gear engagement. This no filter media thing is only a temporary experiment for me anyway.

The filter that was in the car was an aftermarket with gasket from advance auto. I think that I may look at the factory filter, but I would bet it is similar to the aftermarket if so many are having this issue. I may try wrapping the aftermarket filter in some sort of fine stainless mesh. My car only has 33,000 miles on it, so hopefully the trans will keep on.
cdk4219 is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM
  #35  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zurich - Switzerland
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
Hi guys,
I'm following many threads about this "whining noise" because... I have the same Issue
It became instantly worst after the last oil change when a non MB garage filled a synthetic 5W40 oil. After 2 weeks we replaced it with Castrol 0W30 and it became even worst!
So I went to a MB garage nearby (I live in Switzerland) and they told me that some V8 engines are just noisy: they replaced already 3 oil pumps because of this complaint but without any particular result.
The second visit was to a MB garage in Germany: they had a costumer that filled some oil that wasn't Mobil 1 0W40 and from that moment on it had the same noise I have. They don't have any technical explanation for this, but the only thing that really helped was to fill the right oil, drive for a while and then change the oil again.
How is it possible? Are those engines that delicate?
Mine is a 2007 SLK 55 with 110'000 km.
Over here they say you HAVE to use Mobil 1 0W40 in AMG engines
tici is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 PM
  #36  
PLATINUM SPONSOR
 
Exotic-metal55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,489
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
2003 CL55
Good information on pump noise. How about all the people that get tranny oil inside thier TCU as well. That is a strange event. some
__________________



E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Exotic-metal55 is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 PM
  #37  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
srt6
Originally Posted by tunaglove View Post
You know guys there is a little fan that blows cabin air into the ECU box. Sometimes mine whines like it has dry bearings then goes away.
SRT6
Check this.
tunaglove is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM
  #38  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 4,173
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I checked this over and over again and after talking to some MB techs they assured me that it was the transmission pump that made the noise. Even my mother's C240 has the same whine. And I got under my car with a screw driver and when I pressed my ear up against screw driver and the transmission that's when the noise was the loudest BY FAR.
GT-ER is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
  #39  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Havoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sin City
Posts: 1,863
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
FWIW, I always noticed that "whine" upon start-up was way louder on my SLK55 than my SL55.
Havoc is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM
  #40  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 615
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
I have an S55K and she fires up with no whine whatsoever.

Not the case with my E55K, so what gives?
Sher Judge is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:22 PM
  #41  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 4,173
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Sher Judge View Post
I have an S55K and she fires up with no whine whatsoever.

Not the case with my E55K, so what gives?
Interesting, I've never heard a 55K that doesn't whine. The whine on other MB vehicles is on/off though...

I'm guessing brand new none of them whine...only with wear they start to whine.
GT-ER is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM
  #42  
PLATINUM SPONSOR
 
Exotic-metal55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,489
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
Interesting, I've never heard a 55K that doesn't whine. The whine on other MB vehicles is on/off though...

I'm guessing brand new none of them whine...only with wear they start to whine.
Have you heard of any pump failures? I have not heard of any yet and actaully suprisedhow much abuse these tranny`s can take. My American race cars would blow trannies about every 3 runs down the track..lol
__________________



E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Exotic-metal55 is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 PM
  #43  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 4,173
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55 View Post
Have you heard of any pump failures? I have not heard of any yet and actaully suprisedhow much abuse these tranny`s can take. My American race cars would blow trannies about every 3 runs down the track..lol
Someone on this forum rebuilt his tranny and posted pics of his failed pump, can't remember who though.
GT-ER is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:06 PM
  #44  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,214
Liked 28 Times in 25 Posts
CLS55 AMG
this one?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...uild-pics.html

if so, if you read the first post, his pump didn't fail, it was the bushing
xpl0sive is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:02 PM
  #45  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Was at the gas station recently.
Heard a vehicle start and the sound that it made was identical to the whine of my E55 at start up.
It was a Porsche Cayenne.
claywillard is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 PM
  #46  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 4,173
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
this one?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...uild-pics.html

if so, if you read the first post, his pump didn't fail, it was the bushing
On page 2 you see the pump housing, it was scored badly.
GT-ER is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM
  #47  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,214
Liked 28 Times in 25 Posts
CLS55 AMG
...which was caused by the failed bushing lol. nothing to do with the pump itself failing
xpl0sive is offline  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 PM
  #48  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004 MB E55 AMG
the whine I hear is from my neighbors wife always ragging in him........I love the sound of our e55s on start up
0-60inAMG is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 12:23 AM
  #49  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 4,173
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
...which was caused by the failed bushing lol. nothing to do with the pump itself failing
Oh yeah, didn't know that's what you meant.

Gear pumps whine, that's why most trannies use vain pumps. Don't know why MB uses gear pumps, although they are strong.
GT-ER is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 AM
  #50  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zurich - Switzerland
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55 View Post
Have you heard of any pump failures? I have not heard of any yet and actaully suprisedhow much abuse these tranny`s can take. My American race cars would blow trannies about every 3 runs down the track..lol
My 7G-Tronic has been rebuilt few months ago because of a pump problem, however it wasn't noisy...
The pump is connected to the housing by 3 aluminum bolts: one was broken and one was loose. When the tranny reached certain temperatures (traffic, hill or sporty driving) the oil viscosity was so low that it leaked between the pump and the housing. Result: no 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. After cooling everything was fine again.

Back to the engine oil: I have 9 liters of Mobil 1 0W40 in the trunk, I'll post the results asap
tici is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: For those who think the whine upon cold start up is you air injection pump.


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: