Sponsored by:

Paint Thickness Gage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG
Paint Thickness Gage?

I'm looking at purchasing another pre-owned vehicle but I don't trust the CPO inspection or used car manager feedback when it comes to "Has this car ever been re-painted?" question.

These devices are pretty pricey but I found one for $125. Have any of you or know anyone who has ever used this:
http://www.paintgages.com/category-s/12.htm

I'm willing to rent one but not sure if the local auto store has these?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by nardeezy@yahoo.
I'm looking at purchasing another pre-owned vehicle but I don't trust the CPO inspection or used car manager feedback when it comes to "Has this car ever been re-painted?" question.

These devices are pretty pricey but I found one for $125. Have any of you or know anyone who has ever used this:
http://www.paintgages.com/category-s/12.htm

I'm willing to rent one but not sure if the local auto store has these?
I'd like to try one too. always curious about these tools
Old 06-08-2011, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
They are the best thing and are never wrong. Just know when you use them there can be a slight variation even from the factory. Now it will be slight for example, a front fender may read 7 and a door 7.5 a rear door 7 and a rear fender 7.5. That is all normal. If you see a 7, 7, 7.5 and then a 10.5, you got paint. Every car maker differs as long as all panels are within .5 to 1 your are good.

Last edited by emoving; 06-08-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by emoving
They are the best thing and are never wrong. Just know when you use them there can be a slight varaition even from the factory. Now it will be slight for example, a front fender may read 7 and a door 7.5 a rear door 7 and a rear fender 7.5. That is all normal. If you see a 7, 7, 7.5 and then a 10.5, you got paint. Every car maker differs as long as all panels are within .5 to 1 your are good.
Right! The thing that I don't like about the $125 carcheck is that it works similar to a stud finder. You need to glide it across the panel and it looks for a delta of 0.005" for a potential difference (green to yellow) and 0.017" for definitive work (yellow to green). The car needs to be clean and free of any dirt to avoid mis-readings and potentially scratching the finish.

I'd rather go with the more expensive units and just pick a single location and manually read/monitor each value.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Ohhhh....i have neve seen the cheap glide kind. I would skip that model for sure.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Paint readings I typically see on Mercedes are 2.5 to 3 mils thick on my Highline meter. Most dealers have one, so ask them to meter the car or let you use their meter.
There are other ways to check for paint work without a meter. Carefully inspect for trash in the paint, fisheyes or super smooth finishes that indicate buffing. Another tell tale sign is buffing compound (white powder spots) in hard to clean areas.
Take the tip of your finger and gently rub it along the edges of panels to feel if there are any rough edges which indicate tape lines or overspray.
Most cars that have had paint work are a result from an accident in the front end or back end so look closely there.
One of my dealer buddies does not like to use a meter in the auction lanes because you can miss obvious damage like a dent or scratches.
Emoving is all over this one. With a meter you are looking for consistent readings without a large spike.
Good luck!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Plus, to the op, you want a meter that can read both ferrous and non ferrous panels (steel and aluminum). The $125 meter is steel only and, as you know, MB's have various aluminum panels.

Although expensive, the Elcometer 311FnF seems to be the industry benchmark.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:38 PM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Hotrod-Realtor
Paint readings I typically see on Mercedes are 2.5 to 3 mils thick on my Highline meter. Most dealers have one, so ask them to meter the car or let you use their meter.
There are other ways to check for paint work without a meter. Carefully inspect for trash in the paint, fisheyes or super smooth finishes that indicate buffing. Another tell tale sign is buffing compound (white powder spots) in hard to clean areas.
Take the tip of your finger and gently rub it along the edges of panels to feel if there are any rough edges which indicate tape lines or overspray.
Most cars that have had paint work are a result from an accident in the front end or back end so look closely there.
One of my dealer buddies does not like to use a meter in the auction lanes because you can miss obvious damage like a dent or scratches.
Emoving is all over this one. With a meter you are looking for consistent readings without a large spike.
Good luck!
I think I'm pretty good in visually (any surface defects, inconsistent imaging from different panels, etc.) and tactilly (drips, overspray, previous masking, etc.) detecting previous repair, I would want the gage as a 2nd source. I just don't trust the used car managers at any dealership and I highly doubt that they would let me physically use their expensive tool. I'm willing to spend money on this unit if it can assist me on avoiding a car that has been repainted.

http://www.paintgages.com/PaintGage-...Gage-FNF-A.htm

For me, it's harder to detect if a bumper has been refinished. I'm not too worried about bumpers because they can easily be repaired or replaced, I'm more concerned about metal work using bondo (especially on doors and quarter panels) due to any collision.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Try this...

go over to Facebook and look for Allen Willey. I have bought two meters from him, very nice and honest guy, and cheaper than the Elcometer, which I have stopped using due to reliability. But no reallly good or reputable meter costs $125....more like 3 times that. And the elcometer for multiple surfaces is about 5 times that. Hope this helps....
Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Buy a Highline

Get a Highline meter then. They cost under $300, are very reliable and will get you what you need.
Originally Posted by nardeezy@yahoo.
I think I'm pretty good in visually (any surface defects, inconsistent imaging from different panels, etc.) and tactilly (drips, overspray, previous masking, etc.) detecting previous repair, I would want the gage as a 2nd source. I just don't trust the used car managers at any dealership and I highly doubt that they would let me physically use their expensive tool. I'm willing to spend money on this unit if it can assist me on avoiding a car that has been repainted.

http://www.paintgages.com/PaintGage-...Gage-FNF-A.htm

For me, it's harder to detect if a bumper has been refinished. I'm not too worried about bumpers because they can easily be repaired or replaced, I'm more concerned about metal work using bondo (especially on doors and quarter panels) due to any collision.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM

Vauxhall
Look at Sauter

A PTG will enable you tell if the car has had a repaint but also whether someone has been overdoing the polishing.

The cheaper PTG’s are used to test the thickness of paint on ferrous metals which can be an issue if the car has aluminum part. A more expensive version will test on both ferrous and non ferrous.

I work for a company in the UK which supply thickness gauges, I realize you probably would not want to buy from us because of the shipping cost. However we do a Sauter thickness gauge on our website that might interest you Sauter Digital Coating Thickness Gauge . I am sure if you search around you find the same product available in the USA.