Sponsored by:

How to synchronize your Pano?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two 957 Cayenne GTS's (black and silver), Duc749 (dark), departed '03 E55
How to synchronize your pano sunroof?

I'm having trouble resetting my pano sunroof; right now I can't close the sun shades, nor get it to pop-open.

On page 194 of my manual it gives some instructions on syncrhonizing the pano / pop-up roof. I've tried it three times with the same results.

Help.

Last edited by s4treg; 06-29-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:03 AM

any suggestions, other than taking it to the dealer?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:36 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
its finicky....

this might be totally wrong, but this is what I kinda remember doing...

open it all the way and after every attempt at opening (ya its annoying) hold the button (ie open) for a few secs.

Once completely open, hold the open button for a good 30 seconds. I had to do it twice and then everything was fine.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:54 AM

I will definitely try it!

I went through the steps of removing the fuse, hold in position 3, then 1, then 2...etc.

I'll remove the fuse again, open it and then hold it as you've suggested. Did you have the car running? The instructions say to turn on the ignition.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:59 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by s4treg
I will definitely try it!

I went through the steps of removing the fuse, hold in position 3, then 1, then 2...etc.

I'll remove the fuse again, open it and then hold it as you've suggested. Did you have the car running? The instructions say to turn on the ignition.
yup
Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 PM

So, I tried what you suggested, definitely appreciate it, but no luck. So right after trying that twice, I some how managed to closed the sun shade. Then pulled the fuse, replaced and tried what the manual said, and it worked. Thing is, while i was pushing 3, then 1, then 3, then 2 (yada yada) I wasn't really making sure i was following the instructions, so i'm not 100% sure it was it.

Anyway, it's back to "normal".

New question, but does everyone's sun shade open (front and back) when you crack/pop your sunroof? That's rather annoying if so.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:01 PM

2008 Amg E63, 2016 S63 Coupe, 2020 S63 Cabriolet, 2023 EQS 580 SUV
Unhappy Sun Shade Open while Sunroof Tilted Up

It is rather disappointing not to be able to crack open (tilt) the sunroof open without fully opening sunshade. What I find a bit more annoying is having to manually close both sunroof and sunshade (as in: hold the button twice!). I asked the dealer and they confirmed that was it on the pano roof.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by alexinmontreal
It is rather disappointing not to be able to crack open (tilt) the sunroof open without fully opening sunshade. What I find a bit more annoying is having to manually close both sunroof and sunshade (as in: hold the button twice!). I asked the dealer and they confirmed that was it on the pano roof.
YES! Why can't you open just the front (ie a normal sunroof) and leave the rear shade closed.

I typically like to vent the sunroof when parked and it's hot, but with the full pano open, it kind of defeats the purpose.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
@ s4treg,

Do remember which fuse # was for the Pano roof, and which fuse panel it's in?

I'm now aware of 3 separate fuse locations (side panel of dash, rear trunk and top of engine compartment - hidden under two covers)

After messing with my dome light area and disconnecting everything my sunroof will now only open about 3" at a time. I can get it to open fully, but I have to keep pressing the button and hold it down to get the next 3" of movement.

To be fair, my sunshades have ALWAYS required me to hold the button the entire time to open (some guys report that their sunshades have a "one-touch-fully-open" feature) but mine was never like that. My pano roof wasn't either....I have to press and hold the button and get it to open fully.

I want to try the re-sync process, but the manual says to pull the fuse as step 1 and I've already learned that the manual sometimes lies about where the fuses are really located.

-G
Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
You dont need to pull the fuse. I had the same issue, and it worked PERFECT for both the shade and the glass.

I had to try it twice, as the first time I didnt do something right. I have been using the roof now, and it is 100% error free
Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by GregMB
@ s4treg,

Do remember which fuse # was for the Pano roof, and which fuse panel it's in?

I'm now aware of 3 separate fuse locations (side panel of dash, rear trunk and top of engine compartment - hidden under two covers)

After messing with my dome light area and disconnecting everything my sunroof will now only open about 3" at a time. I can get it to open fully, but I have to keep pressing the button and hold it down to get the next 3" of movement.

To be fair, my sunshades have ALWAYS required me to hold the button the entire time to open (some guys report that their sunshades have a "one-touch-fully-open" feature) but mine was never like that. My pano roof wasn't either....I have to press and hold the button and get it to open fully.

I want to try the re-sync process, but the manual says to pull the fuse as step 1 and I've already learned that the manual sometimes lies about where the fuses are really located.

-G
Mine was in the trunk, back left and if memory serves correctly it was #9. I believe there was a map/guide on the inside of the plastic fuse cover when I pulled it off, let me know if you don't have it and I'll double check mine for you.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bramage
You dont need to pull the fuse. I had the same issue, and it worked PERFECT for both the shade and the glass.

I had to try it twice, as the first time I didnt do something right. I have been using the roof now, and it is 100% error free
The owners manual said to pull the fuse, wait 5-10 seconds and then put it back in. I think that's why he is asking. I know I did it that way.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks to both of you! :beer:

Can either of you confirm if the "one-touch-to-open" happens for your cars for either the sunshade or the glass pano roof?

I don't have it on either one, and don't know if it's supposed to work like that or not.

My windows have one-touch-down, but don't seem to have one-touch-up.... it might all be related and fixable with the same reset process???

I'll give it a try and report back.

-G
Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 AM

Thanks to both of you! :beer:

Can either of you confirm if the "one-touch-to-open" happens for your cars for either the sunshade or the glass pano roof?

I don't have it on either one, and don't know if it's supposed to work like that or not.

My windows have one-touch-down, but don't seem to have one-touch-up.... it might all be related and fixable with the same reset process???

I'll give it a try and report back.

-G
Gosh, embarrassing here but I'd have to go try. My gut is telling me I have one touch open for the pano (even with the sunshade closed). I also have one touch up on the windows. But I'll go try it shortly.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by s4treg
Gosh, embarrassing here but I'd have to go try. My gut is telling me I have one touch open for the pano (even with the sunshade closed). I also have one touch up on the windows. But I'll go try it shortly.
Alright, here's my update:

1. Pulled Fuse #9 (Rear trunk fusepanel) - waited maybe 60 seconds and reconnected.
2. Opened the sunshade by holding the button. When it got to the fully-open position I continued to hold the button for another 20-30 seconds
3. Closed the sunshade by holding the button. When it was fully closed I continued to hold the button for another 20-30 seconds.
4. Repeated steps 2 & 3 for the Pano glass to fully open and fully close, including the wait at the end of each step.

RESULT:

Sunshade - One-touch-to-open now works perfectly (never did before)
Pano Glass - One-touch-to-open now works perfectly (never did before)

The previous issue with 3" motion per-switch-press is completely gone.

Closing the glass sunroof is still a Press-And-Hold function. There is no one-touch functionality even after the reset.

Closing the sunshade is also still a Press-And-Hold function. One-touch doesn't work on that one either.

I checked my windows (might be completely unrelated to the reset) and all 4 are now working with one-touch down / one-touch up functions.

Today is turning out to be a good day on the internets!

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 08-12-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added details...
Old 08-12-2011, 12:04 PM

NICE! Feels good doesn't it.

1. Pulled Fuse #9 (Rear trunk fusepanel) - waited maybe 60 seconds and reconnected.
2. Opened the sunshade by holding the button. When it got to the fully-open position I continued to hold the button for another 20-30 seconds
3. Closed the sunshade by holding the button. When it was fully closed I continued to hold the button for another 20-30 seconds.
4. Repeated steps 2 & 3 for the Pano glass to fully open and fully close, including the wait at the end of each step.

RESULT:

Closing the glass sunroof is still a Press-And-Hold function. There is no one-touch functionality even after the reset.

Closing the sunshade is also still a Press-And-Hold function. One-touch doesn't work on that one either.

I checked my windows (might be completely unrelated to the reset) and all 4 are now working with one-touch down / one-touch up functions.

-G
Old 09-25-2013, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

TTT....

Went through the usual re-synch stuff today after having my battery disconnected.

Set the steering angle sensors by cranking the steering wheel.... reset the power windows....and went to reset the pano roof.

What a nightmare!

The roof did the usual thing of stopping every couple of inches until it was fully open, then instead of being able to shut it again it started making a loud skipping/crunching sound. I kept messing around with pulling the #9 fuse (trunk area) and the #41 fuse (in panel near cluster) and got to a point where only the sunshade would move open and closed, but the pano roof was permanently stuck in the open position!!! Not where I wanted to be....

Eventually I used the manual crank to draw it shut (it was REALLY hard to crank smoothly but I eventually got it closed).... then I used the buttons to shut the sunshade and decided to stop messing with it!!!

I guess I'll eventually have MBZ look at it (under warranty) and see if it was just a really bad sync issue or there is truly something wrong... seems coincidental that the sunroof motor would go bad when I pulled the battery cables. In fact there was some panoramic cleaning and servicing done as a part of a recent "Service E" so I feel even more confident that this is just a sync problem.

Anyone else ever have a resync go THAT terribly wrong before????

-G
Old 09-26-2013, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Sounds like the gears are slipping. There's a couple write ups on it. The motor is rubber mounted and eventually it gets soft enough that the motor deflects and the gears don't mesh properly and you get that grinding. Don't keep making it do that or you may damage more parts. If its under warranty take it in and have them mess with it. A grinding noise is NOT a syncing issue.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E55 AMG
I know this thread is a bit old, but it certainly helped me today and I wanted to add something i saw in the WIS.

I believe this screenshot from the WIS/ASRA confirms your findings. No one-touch close anymore.

RESULT:

-G
Old 09-09-2020, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition