E63 dropped off, no temp tags WTF??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
E63 dropped off, no temp tags WTF??

So I finally got my baby delivered yesterday by some mad Russian trucker and she is absolutely gorgeous. I mean, everything I had hoped for. First thing I noticed though, NO TEMP TAGS.

I quickly called the stealer I bought it from in CA (RAB Motors in San Rafael/Marin) who told me that they "couldn't give me anything that would be valid in NJ". Right away my BS meter started pinging off the charts but I figured I'd get her home, park her, and wake up bright and early today to go to the DMV to try and get this sorted out.

Now of course I do not yet have a title, as it hasn't been issued by MB Financial yet, and won't be for at least another week per my conversation with the nice lady there. I don't even know why I showed up at the DMV without a title, I guess just blind hope.

They basically told me what I had thought, that the dealer should have issued me a 20 day non-resident California temp tag until I could get the title Fedexed from MB Financial to my local DMV.

What is my recourse here? Am I basically shot for my 4th of July weekend? Can they have a local dealer print me a set of tags? I have never dealt with this out-of-state kind of crap before and to be honest, I don't think I want to again.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55K, Duc 848
Get a buddy who has "dealer tags" (if that is in the realm of possibilities) use for a few days (no front plate needed with dealer taggss!!)
Old 07-02-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
05 E55 AMG
RAB Motors is a pretty well known dealer out here in Norcal, I'm surprised they have never done an out of state sale. It's not like they are some small time dealer. Good luck to you man. It must suck having a car like that sitting there and you can't even drive it.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Put tags from another one of your cars on the E63. If you get pulled over just show them your paperwork and explain
Old 07-02-2011, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nasty50-Five
RAB Motors is a pretty well known dealer out here in Norcal, I'm surprised they have never done an out of state sale. It's not like they are some small time dealer. Good luck to you man. It must suck having a car like that sitting there and you can't even drive it.
They have, apparently their internet sales director didn't care to do some due diligence on the easiest sale of his life. I'm very disappointed in their service so far, they had plenty of time to figure this out.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:22 PM

11 QX56, 09 E63, 00 S2000
From what I was told MB actually doesn't want dealers to do out of state sales.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:33 PM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
So I finally got my baby delivered yesterday by some mad Russian trucker and she is absolutely gorgeous. I mean, everything I had hoped for. First thing I noticed though, NO TEMP TAGS.

I quickly called the stealer I bought it from in CA (RAB Motors in San Rafael/Marin) who told me that they "couldn't give me anything that would be valid in NJ". Right away my BS meter started pinging off the charts but I figured I'd get her home, park her, and wake up bright and early today to go to the DMV to try and get this sorted out.

Now of course I do not yet have a title, as it hasn't been issued by MB Financial yet, and won't be for at least another week per my conversation with the nice lady there. I don't even know why I showed up at the DMV without a title, I guess just blind hope.

They basically told me what I had thought, that the dealer should have issued me a 20 day non-resident California temp tag until I could get the title Fedexed from MB Financial to my local DMV.

What is my recourse here? Am I basically shot for my 4th of July weekend? Can they have a local dealer print me a set of tags? I have never dealt with this out-of-state kind of crap before and to be honest, I don't think I want to again.
Write a very professional and firm email directly to the General Manager, Used Car Sales Manager and Finance Manager then copy your sales associate. Attention the email to the GM. Based on my horror experience, the GM can do ANYTHING! He can probably fax or email an approved BCA (Borrowed Car Agreement) until you get some type of temporary documentation (registration) to get you rolling until the official paperwork is squared away.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for that, I left a message for Frank Sheets, the GM of RAB. Daniel Cooper from their Internet Sales division just basically told me to go pound sand.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:30 PM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Thanks for that, I left a message for Frank Sheets, the GM of RAB. Daniel Cooper from their Internet Sales division just basically told me to go pound sand.
ALl good. Always a good idea to keep the finance manager and used car sales manager in the loop as well. Basically, the GM will tell the finance manager to whip up some doc's, the GM will sign it then fax or scan then email to you.