Massive Leak. *&%$#@! Options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Massive Leak. *&%$#@! Options?

Well after a WOT run down the street I noticed my opponent could not be seen. Not because he was so far back there just that I was billowing a ton of smoke! Parked car. Removed shield full of fluid. Dried everything up went for a quick drive came back to pinpoint the leak.
Does not appear to be the side trans connector which is common. Pulled the plugs from bellhousing-yep. All wet.

For sure it is trans fluid. It is coming out so fast that it triggers P0715 speed sensor when the trans free spins/or not. I also noticed the large black breather plug on top of the bell housing is weeping fluid.

So figure since the torque converter will need to be removed should I go ahead and have it rebuilt? Perhaps increase the stall? I just recently did a routine trans service and now this....Hate to put a torque converter back in that might be going south. And since I will be in there, might as well do the rear main seal. I have other cars so no rush. I have a low profile trans jack so everything will be done in my garage.

Thinking of what I will need.

1) Stretch bolts for flexplate
2) Rear main seal-since I'm in there.
3) Front pump o-ring and seal
4) Do I need to use the MB sealant?
5) Trans connector since it's cheap and easy and prone to leaking
6) Front and rear converter seal. Cannot find part numbers on these on the EPC website. Hmmm.

Will do a little at a time, drop exhaust tomorrow, etc etc etc. No hurry, but any advice on the above would be appreciated.

Last edited by pearlpower; 07-11-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
holy crap that sucks!

how did you manage to do that? I've never heard of this being an issue on these cars before. were you really bearing the hell out of it?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by pearlpower
Well after a WOT run down the street I noticed my opponent could not be seen. Not because he was so far back there just that I was billowing a ton of smoke! Parked car. Removed shield full of fluid. Dried everything up went for a quick drive came back to pinpoint the leak.
Does not appear to be the side trans connector which is common. Pulled the plugs from bellhousing-yep. All wet.

For sure it is trans fluid. It is coming out so fast that it triggers P0715 speed sensor when the trans free spins/or not. I also noticed the large black breather plug on top of the bell housing is weeping fluid.

So figure since the torque converter will need to be removed should I go ahead and have it rebuilt? Perhaps increase the stall? I just recently did a routine trans service and now this....Hate to put a torque converter back in that might be going south. And since I will be in there, might as well do the rear main seal. I have other cars so no rush.
that might have been the reason there
Old 07-11-2011, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by outrun
holy crap that sucks!

how did you manage to do that? I've never heard of this being an issue on these cars before. were you really bearing the hell out of it?
Guess it is just one of those things. Pay to play.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Sorry to hear that. But if the car didnt leak before your tranny service? I'd take a look into this. From what i've read, there are a few sensors that may weep fluid and new o-ring or sensor should be replaced.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
Crap. Exactly the type of story I hate to hear.

Hope the problem is pinpointed fast - definitely share the resolution - and good luck.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
When you say "routine service" do you mean filter/fluids?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Before anything, how much fluid did you put in there? This may be a case of severe over fill. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Routine service as in filter and fluid.

I pulled it all down today and noticed the trans front pump bushing was loose in the trans pump-not a good thing. So I'm going to pickup a bushing (Benz does not sell alone) and check the clearance. This most likely caused the leak as the front drain hole can only accommodate so much fluid and with more clearance between the bushing and converter, this allows more fluid than can be drained and so it has to go some where. , it was more just a matter of time, mileage, and driving style. Just one of those things.

Worst case I will have to replace the trans front pump which means ripping apart the entire trans to get to it.

As everything is apart and since these cars are prone to leaks front the rear main, I picked up what I needed to just swap out the rear main.

No hurry as I have other cars, just taking my sweet time. Overall, even with this, the AMG has been fairly reliable, not Lexus bullet proof, but certainly better than what others have experienced, and it's a ton of fun so a little elbow effort here and there..........

Last edited by pearlpower; 07-16-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Throw a stall converter in while you are there too. Supposed to be a good mod.