W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

evosport - New Development on Cooling Upgrades (Top Mounted Intercoolers)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
I would hate to spend a year building a one off set up only to find out a vendor was building a production quality unit. That is where the heads up comes into play. I was about to go down this road when the thread poped up. Imagine how pissed I would have been to complete a custom set up only to read the next day: we are done, buy now. Thia thread saved me a lot of work
Old 12-18-2011, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by Bramage
I would hate to spend a year building a one off set up only to find out a vendor was building a production quality unit. That is where the heads up comes into play. I was about to go down this road when the thread poped up. Imagine how pissed I would have been to complete a custom set up only to read the next day: we are done, buy now. Thia thread saved me a lot of work
Well that is the story of life, why would a vendor care what a person is building in his home? Let's say you did built it, first, should Evosport then stop all development? Fact is, it takes time and time and time to put out something new. There has never in history with exception of Fords , that a company goes from initial planning to mass production with no modifications during the process. Fact is, you build it, test it, change it, test it...........

Only when in final testing do you announce it. How do you know Evosport had not planned this last year or two years ago? If that were the case you would still be waiting, yet yours would have been completed. If you put in that much effort into your project, complete it, it might even end up better-though you might get banned in the process given recent events. Look at what others here are building. Some vendors ***** and complain about forum members coming out with new items, in reality they need to step it up as folks here have proven there is a market for such items even if small. To repeat myself, I'm just thankful some vendors still support the platform. As is, Evosport just setup themselves up for all of the ranting in this thread. Seldom do companies such as this have a clue in marketing. Every high profile piece of merchandise these days is kept under lock and key until close to production for a reason.

Last edited by pearlpower; 12-18-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:51 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None fast enough!
Originally Posted by Havoc
Brad will probably kill me but at least I'm not posting the pics..
Well, with your skills, I would be more worried about the flip of this! lol

Testing is still ongoing on what looks like a stock 55K. These bad boys are definitely delivering on the cooling side temp wise and are about to get dyno tested for top end performance and flow.
Havoc is in the loop as he is a customer for this, yes, he already has a deposit on this and was the driver to build these.

The gains on the dyno are substantial, and we know there is a little more, so we are close. The temp drops are also pretty amazing so far.

We are testing on a fully built and tuned e55 (no internal engine work though). Our belief is that most who would be in the market for this product are going to have modified cars, not stock.

thanks
Brad
Old 12-19-2011, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport
Well, with your skills, I would be more worried about the flip of this! lol

Havoc is in the loop as he is a customer for this, yes, he already has a deposit on this and was the driver to build these.

The gains on the dyno are substantial, and we know there is a little more, so we are close. The temp drops are also pretty amazing so far.

We are testing on a fully built and tuned e55 (no internal engine work though). Our belief is that most who would be in the market for this product are going to have modified cars, not stock.

thanks
Brad
Oh mang, my pants just got shorter Hurry up already
Old 12-19-2011, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
Yea.. He (Havoc) was sandbagging us with the: ...being tested on what looks like a stock E55...

Better sand-bagged than tea-bagged I guess

Any ballpark on expected availibility? Can you throw us any other bones for the vultures to pick at??
Old 12-19-2011, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
You said T-bag, lmfao
Old 12-19-2011, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Looking forward to an introductory group buy.....HINT HINT
Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I'm buying Speedriven larger Turbo kit, & it has larger (little more than double capacity TMC's on ea side) NO where as finished or beautiful as these EvoSport's making. The Speedriven models are nicely priced & work great though only made for V12 Biturbo engines. Point is I'd fathome to guess these EvoSport versions will likely cost North of $5k far North I'd bet $6k-$7,499.00 easily...

& I'll bet they'll get it, this forums ONLY a tiny sliver of the ACTUAL business that Evosport does in Perf upgrades, just because we don't see the cars here doesn't meen they don't exist, they just don't care for posting on car forums etc.. Very similar to RENNtech in that aspect...

Last edited by Thericker; 12-19-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
^ oh ****.. I agree with thericker!!! What is the world coming to??
Old 12-20-2011, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
It will be very interesting to see what kind of price the new Weistec supercharger coming out in another 2 weeks or so gets priced at. I feel that could have a big impact on these intercoolers selling if they get carried away on the price and having them to pricey.

Weistec seemed to have hinted at it would be "reasonably priced" for the E55. If that is the case with it being quite a bit lower than the $15,000 E63/CLK63 offering, then if this intercooler kit really was prices at anything near $7500 (which I personally think is absolutely crazy) the supercharger route would probably sway a lot of people to pay slightly more for a substanial power increase over adding some top mount intercoolers. This is my opinion, yours may vary but that is how I feel about the situation.

Looking at the pricing structure they used for stage 1 SLS supercharger at $28,000 then down to $15,000 for E63/CLK63 it may be reasonable to assume dropping down to the E55 (substancially cheaper car these days than the E63) may result in another nice price drop putting it around/under $10,000. So when you are talking about spending money like $7500 for some intercoolers what is another 2 grand for a big step up in power with a supercharger upgrade that has a high flow intercooler right?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport
We are testing on a fully built and tuned e55 (no internal engine work though).
What does fully built mean to you?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by urbamworm
So when you are talking about spending money like $7500 for some intercoolers what is another 2 grand for a big step up in power with a supercharger upgrade that has a high flow intercooler right?
I highly doubt the Weistec S/C upgrade will be $10K or less and even if it is, the cost to install the Weistec S/C will be considerably more the installation of Evosport's coolers, which will increase the cost gap between them even more.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With all due respect you can take the supercharger off in around 30 minutes, a monkey could do the install of the new supercharger. I would say E55 owners these days have more know how than their original owners for the most part. Where the original owner would be scared to change his own oil people do "real" work to the car on their own these days.

As a matter of fact I just got done swapping out my stock transmission valve body for a Paramount Performance stage 2 valve body, the dealer wants 5.5 hours labor to do it, I did it in less than 2.

Last edited by urbamworm; 12-20-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Bramage
^ oh ****.. I agree with thericker!!! What is the world coming to??
Oh snap! We're all going to hell in a hand basket now
Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
With all due respect you can take the supercharger off in around 30 minutes, a monkey could do the install of the new supercharger. I would say E55 owners these days have more know how than their original owners for the most part. Where the original owner would be scared to change his own oil people do "real" work to the car on their own these days.

As a matter of fact I just got done swapping out my stock transmission valve body for a Paramount Performance stage 2 valve body, the dealer wants 5.5 hours labor to do it, I did it in less than 2.
I never said a monkey couldn't do it, but as you know they will blame "your installation" as soon as something goes wrong, to include Weistec. Regardless, installation is still another cost factor for most which makes these coolers a cheaper alternative to the Weistec S/C.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
neither one of these products are released yet and you guys are arguing about installation time.... this bickering is useless until both products are released and some real numbers are posted. but i bet the weistec s/c will produce more Hp/$
Old 12-20-2011, 08:50 PM

Brabus K8 E55 05
Originally Posted by Havoc
I never said a monkey couldn't do it, but as you know they will blame "your installation" as soon as something goes wrong, to include Weistec. Regardless, installation is still another cost factor for most which makes these coolers a cheaper alternative to the Weistec S/C.
Well, I think Weistec will put more HP than the intercooler and SC installation is easier than the new Intercooler set up for sure + Weistic is only changing the (SC + intercooler + Fuel rail + Injectors ) so take out old and put in the new one.

To be honest, SC is more like to give more HP and better deal overall specially the IC included for that SC is better than the stock one.

If I would like to change the IC set up, I already got price of 2700 Euro with very reputable tuner across Europe and the middle east, so whatever the result of Evosport should be competitive with that price otherwise useless marketing and planning unless you guys just welling to pay extras

Let's be honest, some product if not most of them are over priced in the US due to weak efforts in sourcing better pricing for material and labor !!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mitsa
LMAO...okay...I failed in my comment. So did skratch77 thinking the could fit the intercooler between the airbox and the hood. There is like 1"of space or less...lol.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by xpl0sive
neither one of these products are released yet and you guys are arguing about installation time.... this bickering is useless until both products are released and some real numbers are posted. but i bet the weistec s/c will produce more Hp/$
Who is arguing/bickering??

All I'm saying is that it's a no brainer that Weistec's installation of their new S/C will be more than Evosport's installation of their top mounted coolers, just look at the parts involved and knowing that both are close for labor charges.

Stock for stock, I also believe that Wesitec's S/C will produce more power. Problem is that Evosport's coolers will shine on modded cars so it all depends on what type of mods that car has. Now put Weistec's S/C on that modded car and compare the differences, which is the only way to really compare these two, in addition to HP/$ ratio and the heat produced.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Weistec comes with a high flow intercooler so don't think that putting the blower on a fulley modded car is going to hurt anything. The stock intercooler is no longer being used on top of the bigger supercharger being more efficient making intake temps cooler to start with. And remember they are using a pretty good sized 3 liter blower which should be capable of making well over 600whp easily when running any kind of decent boost. They make 650whp on Cobras with a 2.8 liter using cats and stock exhaust, so imagine an even bigger blower along with all the mods done (headers, exhaust, bigger throttle body). We could be in for a real treat when adjusting the boost around with pullies.

It looks like the Whipple is identical to the Weistec so I am curious if Weistec worked with them to have this done and if so then all kinds of different pulleys and accessories will be available.

And again, install is very easy since you are swapping out a complete unit, so it really isn't even much work at all.

Last edited by urbamworm; 12-21-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
The Weistec comes with a high flow intercooler so don't think that putting the blower on a fulley modded car is going to hurt anything. The stock intercooler is no longer being used on top of the bigger supercharger being more efficient making intake temps cooler to start with. And remember they are using a pretty good sized 3 liter blower which should be capable of making well over 600whp easily when running any kind of decent boost. They make 650whp on Cobras with a 2.8 liter using cats and stock exhaust, so imagine an even bigger blower along with all the mods done (headers, exhaust, bigger throttle body). We could be in for a real treat when adjusting the boost around with pullies.

It looks like the Whipple is identical to the Weistec so I am curious if Weistec worked with them to have this done and if so then all kinds of different pulleys and accessories will be available.

And again, install is very easy since you are swapping out a complete unit, so it really isn't even much work at all.

+ 1
There is absolutely no doubt the EvoSport coolers have to be priced very reasonably because even if the Weistec is going to be around 10k it's still going to offer a major power increase and be more efficient. I know the truth hurts and that EvoSport worked really hard on this but when it comes down to getting a Weistec Vs Top Mounts for ~8-10k then the Weistec is a no brainer. I think the coolers would be good value at ~4-5k if they prove to show considerable improvements.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by ahmad0658
Well, I think Weistec will put more HP than the intercooler and SC installation is easier than the new Intercooler set up for sure + Weistic is only changing the (SC + intercooler + Fuel rail + Injectors ) so take out old and put in the new one.

To be honest, SC is more like to give more HP and better deal overall specially the IC included for that SC is better than the stock one.

If I would like to change the IC set up, I already got price of 2700 Euro with very reputable tuner across Europe and the middle east, so whatever the result of Evosport should be competitive with that price otherwise useless marketing and planning unless you guys just welling to pay extras

Let's be honest, some product if not most of them are over priced in the US due to weak efforts in sourcing better pricing for material and labor !!!!
You're right, maybe if the Weistec hadn't been developed and the coolers made a huge improvement people would pay more but now with a second option with more potential on the table it would be foolish for someone to pay the same for coolers vs a whole new SC setup with major potential. 2700 Euros seems fair for Top Mount Coolers, that's around 3.5k USD, they'll have to be very good though.

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
What does fully built mean to you?
I found that strange too Fully built usually means internals....
Old 01-07-2012, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE
Old 01-07-2012, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Dude.... I want my click back, why lord? Why???
Old 01-07-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' E55, 10' Harley Davidson F-250 6.4L TT
Originally Posted by e500slr
Lmfao!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: evosport - New Development on Cooling Upgrades (Top Mounted Intercoolers)