W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with an iPhone and the Bosch "Light 'Em Up" dyno app???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone with an iPhone and the Bosch "Light 'Em Up" dyno app???

There's a free version on the App Store, but I bought the full version for $4.99

I'd almost forgotten that it was on my phone, but yesterday on a whim (on a short stretch of road in Mexico) I decided to try it out with my 2006 E55.....just to see what kind of number I could get with no real effort or advance planning.

My setup values were:

Rollout (speed tests) = 0"
Rollout (distance tests) = 12"
Trigger = 0.10G

Car weight = 4050Lbs
Drivetrain loss = 0%

I ended up with a 0-60 of 4.81 seconds (A/C on, no tire warming, no practice launches).....just came to a stop, selected the app and floored it when the "GO" light turned green.

60' Time was 2.37 seconds @ 31.6 MPH
330' time was 5.80 seconds @ 66.7 MPH

I ran out of road, so I only got to 74 MPH before backing out of it....

Now that I can see that some of the assumptions are really off, I will update the car weight and add maybe 19% for driveline losses and try again.

If anyone else happens to have this app, I'd be curious to see your results.....stock, modded or whatever.

-G
Old 08-11-2011, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Id love to try this but can we do a 40-120 run? I cant use first gear haha.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sure..... it looks like it measures your E.T. in 10MPH intervals.....so whenever you finally get traction, you should be able to get some values up into those higher MPH speeds.

Like I said, it's a free app (I don't think you can save the images with the free one though) and I'm sure Bosch has an Android version too.... grab a copy and play with it a little bit. I'd be interested to see the results.

I didn't get any appreciable wheelspin (ESP on, no LSD) on my launch. I would like to find a longer stretch of road to really let it pull hard and see if I can confirm that my IC pump is working correctly??? I imagine that the acceleration curve will fall on it's face as heat-soak sets in.

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 08-11-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05
I am not sure how accurate is this. I just downloaded it a while ago and I made some tests, I scored 3.82 for 0-60 and another time I scored 3.2X "Crazy". ESP on, AC off
Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ahmad0658
I am not sure how accurate is this. I just downloaded it a while ago and I made some tests, I scored 3.82 for 0-60 and another time I scored 3.2X "Crazy". ESP on, AC off
Do you have any other data to compare it with? Any 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile times, etc?

I've noticed that the app can sometimes give weird values if the phone is shifting around during the test, so you need to hold it firmly against the dash or center console during the tests so the accelerometers are only measuring the car and not phone movement.

I'm sure there are ways to fine tune the rollout values and the triggering g-force to get it to match other "trusted" timeslips or sophisticated data loggers like the V-box.

-G
Old 08-12-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350, 2011 ML350, 2003 996TT
I got 0-60 in 4.02 and 1/4 in 11.06 @ 157MPH. I think this thing is off, by a lot. What a waste of 5 bucks.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63
Does it plug into the ODB port, or does it just use GPS?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlkE55K
I got 0-60 in 4.02 and 1/4 in 11.06 @ 157MPH. I think this thing is off, by a lot. What a waste of 5 bucks.

What were your setup options?
Rollout....launch Gs, etc?
Did you firmly anchor the phone during the acceleration run? If it shifts around at all you will get bogus acceleration values.

I'm sure it's not as accurate as the $500 V-box unit, but I'm sure it it capable of more accurate results than what you got on your first try...

As far as I know, the Bosch app only uses the accelerometer. I never considered that it might also use GPS but for longer runs it might. I few years ago I bought one of those G-Tech suction cup mounted devices (around $150) and the only thing it used for acceleration and HP estimates was a simple accelerometer. Even back then people said it was relatively accurate for 1/4 mile times (usually within a couple MPH and maybe 0.10 seconds).... The iPhone should be at LEAST as good as that thing was...

Please try again and report back.

-G
Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
dynolicious on ipod touch was pretty decent when its calibrated and properly mounted in the car...i used 1foot rollout and in optimal conditions rwhp was within 5% i think
Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another couple of tests this morning.....on my detour through Mexico.

Car Setup:
  • TCU "Sneaky Reset" just before runs
  • Suspension in Comfort Mode / Raised Setting
  • Transmission in Sport Mode
  • A/C Off
  • ESP On
  • Ambient Air Temp 70F
App Setup:

• Rollout (Speed Tests)= 0"
  • Rollout (Distance Tests) = 12"
  • Trigger = 0.10G
  • Weight = 4050
  • Drivetrain Loss = 0%
  • App Version 1.xx??
NOTE: I thought that I had updated the vehicle weight and drivetrain losses prior to these runs, but now I can see that they are the same as last time. Also, I just realized that this app has been updated to v2.0... I downloaded it a few minutes ago (free update), but this data was collected using the older version.

Also, I just noticed that this Bosch app is actually built from the Dynolicious software, so the results should be just as valid as what Dynolicious provides in their app.

First run: Full-Throttle launch....massive wheelspin, ECU shut down the power for a couple of seconds in the early part of the run. Could totally feel the "bog" while I waited for the ECU to open the throttle back up.

Look at the blue line (G's)....it completely lays down for the first 1.5 seconds until the ECU finally agrees to open the throttle back up for me...

Second run: Tried to launch at slightly less than 100% throttle to avoid the ECU nanny.... the holeshot was much quicker, but interestingly the calculated HP was much lower (327HP vs. 435HP)

The blue line (G's) on this one hits it's peak value at the 1 second mark (0.76 G's). Much better.

Obviously the HP numbers aren't even close with the vehicle weight too low, and the driveline losses at 0%...but they are interesting as a relative comparison to each other.

The TCU Reset trick is a real monster! The car is WAY harder to launch now than it was last week when the car had been "dumbed down" with all my around-town lazy driving adaptations.

RAW DATA:

That first run extrapolates out to a 1/4 mile run of 14.660 @ 119.3 MPH. Obviously the car has the HP to make a strong run, but with such a lousy launch this is the kind of weird ET/MPH you have to expect.

Fun stuff!

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 08-19-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added raw data...