W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kleemann Headers vs Long Tubes...More power!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Carro
Kleemann Headers vs Long Tubes...More power!!

I couldnt feel happier with my Kleeman headers, and have been told by fellow members here not to mess with car anymore, but i do get bored So i have some plans for this next month if i get thru this hurricane!

Let the Re-Mod begin

Just wondering if there's really more power to be made from any of the LT's out there over what i already have. I see there's been a number of cars making good power even before a larger TB..

So if you went from Kleemann's to LTs-
Is it worth the 3-4 k????

Last but not least and Maybe a dumb one but Do these cars like having No exhaust at all???? For track purpose off course has it been done? Power loss?

Stay Thirsty my friends!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
I have been curious about this as well since I have Kleemans and everyone seems to buy longtubes these days.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
I say go carbon intake,bigger pulley and more cooling and maybe a different mufler setup.

I have seen a few go bigger exh and then end up going back to there first setup that worked.

I think you want as much flow as possible but with as much velocity to make power everywhere.

If you open it up to much you will lose power under the curve and maybe gain 10whp from 5k and up.

When I had my M3 I got the euro evolution M3 headers that were factory long tube headers,I bolted those up to a stock mid section with stock catts and then to an Active Autiwerks exh.The car made power everywhere and everyone was saying I would loose power but they didnt know I was putting on a true bmw factory header off the 321hp version M3.

I got greedy and ordered the AA track pipes to get rid of the catts and open up the mid section,lets just say that lasted less than a week before I took it off and went back with the oem mid section.I would say on the but dyno I lost and 50flts and lost power even up top end.

Last edited by skratch77; 08-27-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
I don't know if the gains for 3-4k would be worth it. Your car seems to be running strong as shiet already. I would focus on cooling even further... Just my opinion.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:04 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by skratch77
I say go carbon intake,bigger pulley and more cooling and maybe a different mufler setup.

I have seen a few go bigger exh and then end up going back to there first setup that worked.

I think you want as much flow as possible but with as much velocity to make power everywhere.

If you open it up to much you will lose power under the curve and maybe gain 10whp from 5k and up.

When I had my M3 I got the euro evolution M3 headers that were factory long tube headers,I bolted those up to a stock mid section with stock catts and then to an Active Autiwerks exh.The car made power everywhere and everyone was saying I would loose power but they didnt know I was putting on a true bmw factory header off the 321hp version M3.

I got greedy and ordered the AA track pipes to get rid of the catts and open up the mid section,lets just say that lasted less than a week before I took it off and went back with the oem mid section.I would say on the but dyno I lost and 50flts and lost power even up top end.
Intake is taken care off except i am anti-carbon airbox (overpriced)..i told you my trick + python tubes.

I did loose low end torque with the 3" exhaust but makes up on top i think..

And the bigger than 180mm pulley i dont think is an option as im also anti-rear tank

Open exhaust could be interesting! im just wondering if its been done and track proven,would love to have something made and see what she does..Just a quick SLR thought
Attached Thumbnails Kleemann Headers vs Long Tubes...More power!!-slr-exhaust-02b.jpg   Kleemann Headers vs Long Tubes...More power!!-slr-exhaust-01b.jpg  
Old 08-27-2011, 03:06 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
I don't know if the gains for 3-4k would be worth it. Your car seems to be running strong as shiet already. I would focus on cooling even further... Just my opinion.
Hmmm Tx Bro
Old 08-27-2011, 03:33 PM

03 E55
Hawkins that posts on here has electric cutouts might want to talk to him
Old 08-27-2011, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Luis, keep the Kleemanns. Only reason to change would be sound. The LTs with exhaust sound amazing! But I didn't realize any gains when I went from the Kleemanss to the FFs. Also, agree with Jody focus on cooling if you have $$$ burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hard to make that comparision though since one is a NA and one is a forced induction engine. Forced induction engines will always make power with less exhaust behind it where a NA could suffer since it looses the velocity of the exhaust to help in cylinder scavenging.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by urbamworm
Hard to make that comparision though since one is a NA and one is a forced induction engine. Forced induction engines will always make power with less exhaust behind it where a NA could suffer since it looses the velocity of the exhaust to help in cylinder scavenging.
My car was running an rms stage 3 kit with aa tune.

Ill let you know what my car does adding the TB with the rest of my mods Luis,if I make power with the TB you will make power with the intake lol.

Im glad I kept the 180 on as the other night was the first time I felt 60 degree weather and I couldnt take the smile off my face

I too hate larger pullies and prolly wont go bigger either,its just to much heat.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Didn't realize it was supercharged, I would aggree with the midrange torque loss but not top end power.

Don't hate larger pullies, that is where meth injection would come in, an even larger pulley can try to make extra heat but will lose the battle.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Loco can you post a pic of the Kleemann headers you have? Not calling dibs for sale or anything just curious to see what they look like...

(Dibs )
Old 08-27-2011, 10:01 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by 930chas
Luis, keep the Kleemanns. Only reason to change would be sound. The LTs with exhaust sound amazing! But I didn't realize any gains when I went from the Kleemanss to the FFs. Also, agree with Jody focus on cooling if you have $$$ burning a hole in your pocket.
Charlie- I now recall going over this with you, thanks again for the imput
Cooling should be under control as well..
My car was running an rms stage 3 kit with aa tune.

Ill let you know what my car does adding the TB with the rest of my mods Luis,if I make power with the TB you will make power with the intake lol.

Im glad I kept the 180 on as the other night was the first time I felt 60 degree weather and I couldnt take the smile off my face

I too hate larger pullies and prolly wont go bigger either,its just to much heat.
Angelo Dont let me know! just post your 10 sec. slip

I told you dont give up on the 180mm..that is the key

And the TB will be the icing on the cake even if you still had a stock airbox..

Originally Posted by TheVazha
Loco can you post a pic of the Kleemann headers you have? Not calling dibs for sale or anything just curious to see what they look like...

(Dibs )
lol Doubt will be swapping as im just making comparison and wondering some possible changes..

I have a few snaps somewhere, but they look like these only ceramic coated:
http://www.fabspeed.com/Kleemann%20H...tock%20E55.pdf
Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
What's up man? 10.8 @ 130+ not fast enough?

JK JK

Honestly, as others have said, your car runs like a BAT OUT OF HELL! I say just keep it the way it is. Don't mess with a great thing!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:55 AM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
What's up man? 10.8 @ 130+ not fast enough?

JK JK

Honestly, as others have said, your car runs like a BAT OUT OF HELL! I say just keep it the way it is. Don't mess with a great thing!
You know how it goes Dude..But you are right! I do plan on keeping the same setup just might alter it a bit but will keep it the way it is..
Old 08-28-2011, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
1/4 mile 10.8 & 60-130 8 secs!!
The cars a beast man, I agree with the other members not to touch the car if your running times like that. lol
Old 08-28-2011, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
You know how it goes Dude..But you are right! I do plan on keeping the same setup just might alter it a bit but will keep it the way it is..
I know you won't disappoint with whichever decision you decide to make! Keep us all posted!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
lol Doubt will be swapping as im just making comparison and wondering...
Yeah right bro, you got that bug...

In all seriousness, are you feeling any of the weather hysteria all over the news?