W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lookie what I found...fuel injector content.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
True no harm if you do it yourself, but when it comes to spending a bunch of money on one to have a simple loop put in you are just throwing that money out the window in my opinion, people can believe what they want but all they need is bigger injectors a rail mod isn't doing jack when the injectors are plenty big. The stock rail can hold plenty of fuel and as was said above the injectors aren't even close to a high duty cycle so the rail is always going to be full of fuel from the backpressure of the injectors being closed quite a bit at the low duty cycle.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
The thing about the TTM rail and why it's better then stock isn't because it's looped, it's because they change the entry angle of the feed(albeit it is looped). If the only reason cylinder 8 gets starved is too small of injector then you'd be seeing failures in all of the cylinders. Cylinder 8 gets starved because of a venturi effect being that the fuel is forced in at an angle right next to the injector inlet creating a lower pressure point right at the inlet. Please feel free to correct me if you don't think this is accurate.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by PACougar
The thing about the TTM rail and why it's better then stock isn't because it's looped, it's because they change the entry angle of the feed(albeit it is looped). If the only reason cylinder 8 gets starved is too small of injector then you'd be seeing failures in all of the cylinders. Cylinder 8 gets starved because of a venturi effect being that the fuel is forced in at an angle right next to the injector inlet creating a lower pressure point right at the inlet. Please feel free to correct me if you don't think this is accurate.
Cylinder 8 is not the only one that goes, it's just the most common. But I've seen other pistons go and #8 survive. Running static injectors, all it takes is for the cylinder head above cylinder 8 to run hotter than the rest to cause #8 to blow more often. When you are on the edge of knocking, every little thing can cause your piston to go boom.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I was torn between buying these injectors or trying out a set a friend of mine has but in the end it seems like I may go with the EC set just because they will be tuning my car. They've been great with me before so I may just give them a shot.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E552004
Injector

Your are 550cc ec are 770cc
Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dawson718
Your are 550cc ec are 770cc
550cc@43psi vs. 700cc@65psi = same thing.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Originally Posted by PACougar
People can speculate on what they think is right and wrong between the stock and aftermarket but plain and simple, the rail is always going to be full of fuel to supply the injectors at these power levels with an adequate fuel flow from the pump. If the injector is big enough to not run static you are set. A bigger injector will have dead time since it isn't run at full duty and constantly open so there won't be any kind of gap where something can happen such as a "venturi effect." Simply because the rail is full of fuel all the time from the pump being able to flow enough and there isn't a loss of fuel pressure from static injectors so there is no where for the fuel to go for something like that to happen.

Some what the same type of stuff goes on in other platforms for people all talking about fueling, and example I can give personally was everyone said the stock lines and returnless system couldn't work for 400whp in my Audi. People got on the train and all started changing the systems to bigger lines, return systems, etc until someone simply put significantly larger injectors in with a better fuel pump and ran 500whp perfectly, and now that is how everyone else is doing it. That is the same thing going on here where people "think" you need an altered rail because a car or two put an altered rail on WITH bigger injectors and then the car worked. But the big change is the injectors which as shown from multiple people who only have bigger injectors and have a perfect a/f, good running car and injectors that are happy at a low duty cycle.

And sometimes the internet is hard to convey things, I am not trying to be confrontational just to be clear, just put out what I have experienced as well as others in the same boat as me. Sometimes you don't need more, a simple change does the trick.

On a side not, had a little run in with a C5 Z06 last night, LS6 bored 10 over, trickflow heads, cam, headers exhaust. Said he dynoed 430whp, he was shocked that I kept up and said nobody has been able to yet. He jumped a car in front when we took off from like 50 partly because I was quickly downshifting as he was honking and then we stayed dead even up to around 140 maybe slightly higher. I was pretty happy especially with it being so hot where I am.

Last edited by urbamworm; 08-30-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
I have been running injectors alone for almost a year and a half with many dyno and 1/4 mile runs. I was one of the first people to run these injectors. I don't believe you need the rail, but its one of those "can't hurt" kinda mods. I went with EC just for the sake of them retuning for the scale. I have never looked back on my decision.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Originally Posted by ShangoAshe
+1 Jeremy @ OE-Tuning tuned my injectors as well

me too...

I had reviewed the Five-O injectors, and the company has a great reputation. If you call them, they will talk injectors all day. They will even provide opinions which might send you away from their product. That is just the way they are.

With that said, I think the injectors in question are awesome, but I opted for the dual spray pattern provided by the TTM injectors. I suppose someone could do some in depth dyno testing, but the bottom line:

A larger, properly scaled injector with a closed loop fuel rail will yield safety that the stock configuration (even with bigger injectors) can NOT accomplish.

As I have said before, I do not have any association with Bruce at TTM other than being a retail customer. I just want anyone who has the same passion I have for these cars to not have to suffer through the pain associated with a major failure (I.E #8)

Bruce- GB the rail already so I can miss another deal!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I just bought the Eurocharged set of injectors...I'm hoping Jerry's tune with the injectors alone will justify the price difference. His tune has been fantastic of to this point so I trust the new one will be equally as good.

Weeee....