W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTE or Kleeman cams?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by PACougar
I went with MHP cams witch have slightly higher lift then PTE cams, I'm taking it down to be tuned in a few weeks so I'm not sure how the gains will be compared to stock. Once I get it dynoed I'll post up the sheet and hopefully the cams are worth it Unfortunately I'm doing so many other things I won't be able to tell what difference the cams made.
the whole cam discussion is a few years old so i don't remember much of the details...but i seem to recall that pte cams had the highest lift possible without running into piston/valve clearance issues. i hope my memory is failing for your sake!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:15 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
the whole cam discussion is a few years old so i don't remember much of the details...but i seem to recall that pte cams had the highest lift possible without running into piston/valve clearance issues. i hope my memory is failing for your sake!!!
I still have stock cams but these heads feel like they pull better than big cams without all the issues. Cams or head porting, just different ways of shoving more in the hole!

Yes, I sure dont want to bend any valves.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by chiromikey
I hope so too! I actually talked to Patrick before I purchased the cams and he's the one that turned me onto them and gave the information in the first place, so imagine I'm going to be safe. Thanks for looking out.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh, and people can say what they want about the idle it's really personal preference but I'm hoping for a lope to the idle Even with a lope this will be my well behaved vehicle!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
My bad, I read that you lost a 10th. I assume the power scale would increase with larger pulley (AKA 200mm and ported heads) with the cams.

Still don`t understand why most these cams have idle and lope issues, they are just to small. Must be LSA or how they are degreed. I started to have my heads ground out to allow me to have custom larger cams made to my specs but then passed due to time.

Ok , found the thread with cam specs. https://mbworld.org/forums/3004898-post33.html

Really hard to tell why the SLR cam makes more power but it is the little things that must work. Tighter LSA, diffferent advance and maybe more Exh. help for high end flow.
Where would you have your cams made and how did you come up with your specs for your cams? I remember reading that there is specific formula based on various engine factors to optimize your cams.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hope so too! I actually talked to Patrick before I purchased the cams and he's the one that turned me onto them and gave the information in the first place, so imagine I'm going to be safe. Thanks for looking out.
hmm...makes me think those cams are his grind under a different brand. either way, he's the source for that kind of info!

Oh, and people can say what they want about the idle it's really personal preference but I'm hoping for a lope to the idle Even with a lope this will be my well behaved vehicle!
i don't think it was really a lope at idle that people complained about...it was more of a lurching and drivability issue at low rpms. i never ran them and am going off of what those that did have told me so take my info with a grain of salt.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree, he may have been involved with the cams but I won't presume to speak for him and yes he is the one to go to for that type of information! As for the drivability issues, I think correct tuning plays such a big part in low RPM day to day driving and it normally gets largely ignored and then people assume it's the parts fault. Just like any other major modification to an engine you have to correctly tune for drivability.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:37 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by loudandheard
Where would you have your cams made and how did you come up with your specs for your cams? I remember reading that there is specific formula based on various engine factors to optimize your cams.
There are several companies that will make custom grinds in the US. I never went any further than slightly thinking about it, so never worked with any of the companies to design larger cams. A lot of tuning details would have to be worked out , to also make larger cams run smooth. For now, I am sticking with ported heads and more boost.

The purpose of this thread, was to stimulate new ideas for cams and go over any issues with current cams. I also was hoping for hard facts on any gains, averages and track times.

Have to thank Chiromikey for all his info on the SLR cams.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-14-2011, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Maybe Betreza can chime in on this but perhaps faulty installation of the PTE cams could be the cause of the lurching and stalling issues. I believe he posted these symptoms with his CLK55 S8+ until he had Kleemann reinstall his PTE cams after they discovered that it was off by only 1 tooth. If that is the case, then I can probably live with a little more of a lopey idle in exchange for another 10rwhp over my Kleemann Cams.

I agree, he may have been involved with the cams but I won't presume to speak for him and yes he is the one to go to for that type of information! As for the drivability issues, I think correct tuning plays such a big part in low RPM day to day driving and it normally gets largely ignored and then people assume it's the parts fault. Just like any other major modification to an engine you have to correctly tune for drivability.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:50 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Pat with PTE called me today (stand up guy) to verify what you mentioned about a faulty install. He also had 1-2 cars that complained that had 82mm Tb`s leaking around the adaptor plate or warped from being welded. I know I get surging with stock cams, when my TB leaks a little. He mentioned he only had 4 sets out of the whole batch he invested in a few years back.

For now, I am going to test and run what I have, then look at cams again later.

I think the SLR cam may be the only true desinged blower cam going but just not aggresive enough for what I would like. The other cams seem to be made for all the 5.5 engines and few other naturally aspirated motors. At this level, I would like "job specific" duty cams.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Have new in the boxes SLR cams and the parts to install them for sale.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
I think the SLR cam may be the only true desinged blower cam going but just not aggresive enough for what I would like. The other cams seem to be made for all the 5.5 engines and few other naturally aspirated motors. At this level, I would like "job specific" duty cams.
I thought the Kleeman and PTE cams were designed for the forced induction cars. Kleemann markets the cams as part of their S8 package together with their aftermarket supercharger.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:36 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
If the same cams can go any many motors and are marketed for them too, then which motor are they specifically desinged for? I am just asking and gathering facts to find the best cam possible (if not maybe someone will make one)? I would want 30 RWHP to change and pay for a cam. That is a fair dream. IMO

55 blower motor is a very small market, so are the cams made specific for a 55 blower car or for a certian motor that CAN work in many applications? You pick up power, then they work to an extent but are the optimized for a Supercharged boosted 5.5 motor?

One fact though: Marketing and Design are two different entities. .

Originally Posted by AMGSC
I thought the Kleeman and PTE cams were designed for the forced induction cars. Kleemann markets the cams as part of their S8 package together with their aftermarket supercharger.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-15-2011, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
For now, I am going to test and run what I have, then look at cams again later.
Exactly! One battle at a time!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
Cams were the worst experience I had with my car and I know quite a few others that shared the same woes. Take that for what it is worth.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 930chas
Cams were the worst experience I had with my car and I know quite a few others that shared the same woes. Take that for what it is worth.
Don't leave us hanging. What exactly were the woes?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:18 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Exactly! One battle at a time!
LOl, yes that is the motto but running out of time for the mile and only have put ported heads on so far. I think my to do list was 14 items long. Check one and it is September 16th already.

930chas Cams were the worst experience I had with my car and I know quite a few others that shared the same woes. Take that for what it is worth.
Sorry to hear you had or have a bad experience with your cams. To give some credit to the cam itself, it is "usually" not the cams fault. Cams dont surge on their own but they can bring out an existing problem with tighter LSA. Vacuum is usually the culprit and that is caused by leaky throttle body`s, older vacuum lines or other leaks. Of course , skipping a tooth on a sproket could be horrible. Tuning is also key to get smooth part throttle, idle and WOT! They do change the fuel curves, so they need to be tuned for each driving condition.

If a lot of us shared data log info, a lot of problems could be solved online. For example watching your LTFT. More than 5% delta from left to right side can denote a air leak or air leaking at header. This throws 02 readings off and new problems show up. Checkign boost, idle and TPS are all nice to know. Low TPS can cause surging , idle isues, codes and be a big pain in the $$s.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-16-2011, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
LOl, yes that is the motto but running out of time for the mile and only have put ported heads on so far. I think my to do list was 14 items long. Check one and it is September 16th already.

Sorry to hear you had or have a bad experience with your cams. To give some credit to the cam itself, it is "usually" not the cams fault. Cams dont surge on their own but they can bring out an existing problem with tighter LSA. Vacuum is usually the culprit and that is caused by leaky throttle body`s, older vacuum lines or other leaks. Of course , skipping a tooth on a sproket could be horrible. Tuning is also key to get smooth part throttle, idle and WOT! They do change the fuel curves, so they need to be tuned for each driving condition.

If a lot of us shared data log info, a lot of problems could be solved online. For example watching your LTFT. More than 5% delta from left to right side can denote a air leak or air leaking at header. This throws 02 readings off and new problems show up. Checkign boost, idle and TPS are all nice to know. Low TPS can cause surging , idle isues, codes and be a big pain in the $$s.
Thanks man, but fortunately I know all this stuff. Monitored my car closer then most. This was 100% strictly a cam issue. And these same "brand" cams affected numerous other cars in the same manner, also owned by individuals in the know.

I am only saying when shopping cams for these cars, do your research.

Last edited by 930chas; 09-16-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I feel like the specific problems are some kind of secret What were the specific problems you and other were having, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 PM

W211 E55K, Duc 848
Again I've been running PTE Cams for past 7K Miles... hard driving, revs, normal driving, highway driving. Not a single issue besides the car sounds absolutely bad *** once it's warmed up and idling with the super sprint long tube headers. I never did an immediate before dyno install and/or an after... My seat impressions tell me the thing screams in the upper RPMS.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:52 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by 930chas
Thanks man, but fortunately I know all this stuff. Monitored my car closer then most. This was 100% strictly a cam issue. And these same "brand" cams affected numerous other cars in the same manner, also owned by individuals in the know.

I am only saying when shopping cams for these cars, do your research.
As I said in the past, Good ported heads will out produce any of the cams listed for our cars. NOW, cams and the heads together may be the best combo but I have not put the cams in yet.

Heads will out produce cams at Peak HP and TQ and most of all average HP and TQ across the band. You may want to look into that route as an option, since cams are not working for you.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-21-2011, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i would like to agree with you, especially since some people have run these specific cams without a problem. however, it is a bit strange that there is only one brand of cam that is causing all the problems...and knowing the competency of the some of the techs that have done a few installs, it's hard to blame the install.