Sponsored by:

hitting the dyno tom

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
He is probably still there, he said he was going at 8. I sure hope everything goes well and he gets without and with meth run to see any potential there.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Showcar
Can't wait to see the result!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Yes, most everyone always pulls in 3rd. IATS wil be smokin hot on a 4th gear pull. 3rd is already long.

If you do a battery ecu reset, you will lean out the AFR most the time but it will adapt back.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-20-2011, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Yes, most everyone always pulls in 3rd. IATS wil be smokin hot on a 4th gear pull. 3rd is already long.

If you do a battery ecu reset, you will lean out the AFR most the time but it will adapt back.
Why do you think I went so rich from just adding a tb? my ltfts are 4.7 on both banks and go to 0 once I go wot.

Its either knocking from the plugs or its dumping fuel from aits.

edit or 02 the shop had is bad
Old 09-20-2011, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Well, I'm back! Not good though...to begin, ambient temps were 88* and humidity was in the 40%...I was sweating like crazy... Regardless, it's unimportant.

My dyno without the meth was 499whp which was acceptable with an A/F ratio of 12 flat in the mid range and mid 11's in the upper range...the horror is what is to follow.

1st run with the meth....465whp! The car just dumped fuel like crazy...it went to 10.0 which was the minimum the dyno would read. Even after letting my car cool down the A/F ratio would just fall on it's face. This was running a 50/50 mix. It makes sense though...my car isn't tuned for meth and meth will make my A/F richer...but damn...I didn't think it would be this bad.

The dyno operator told me that if I had run straight water it wouldn't have had that problem and would have worked well....he may have a point so that I'll leave for next time.

I also couldn't datalog anything...
I'm depressed though...lol.

Last edited by GT-ER; 09-20-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
499 is pretty good though,on the street does meth feel slower?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn that sucks it didn't work out. I don't think anyone that is running water/meth injection is tuned for it. Well maybe someone is but there are several who have it and it works well for them so not sure what is going on there. I don't see how it could make your a/f go that rich either, I have heard of it changing a/f like a half point but not from 12:1 to 10:1. The weird thing also is my Audi doesn't change at all when I have it on or off, it runs the same air/fuel. I am almost wondering if the meth wasn't working and the car just dumped fuel after the first run since it was hot out and your intake temps went up. I don't know how your setup is but if you can take of the hose from the injector or off the pump if it isn't inside your car do that and do a quick run and then check and see if water sprayed all over the place to be sure the pump is running like it should be. I have had mine not be grounded good or have a bad connection somewhere and it wasn't turning on when I though it was and then just happen to datalog and saw high intake temps which led me to investigage and find the system wasn't working.

I really think this is a high possibility with you and the meth is getting blamed for the super rich condition which is really just from it being so hot out and the meth actually not turning on.

Last edited by urbamworm; 09-20-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55

Hmm..My dyno's were in 4th..Wonder what it would have put down in 3rd..
Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by skratch77
499 is pretty good though,on the street does meth feel slower?
Sometimes yes, sometimes the same. It hesitates every once in a while with it on, probably from being too rich.

Originally Posted by urbamworm
Damn that sucks it didn't work out. I don't think anyone that is running water/meth injection is tuned for it. Well maybe someone is but there are several who have it and it works well for them so not sure what is going on there. I don't see how it could make your a/f go that rich either, I have heard of it changing a/f like a half point but not from 12:1 to 10:1. The weird thing also is my Audi doesn't change at all when I have it on or off, it runs the same air/fuel. I am almost wondering if the meth wasn't working and the car just dumped fuel after the first run since it was hot out and your intake temps went up. I don't know how your setup is but if you can take of the hose from the injector or off the pump if it isn't inside your car do that and do a quick run and then check and see if water sprayed all over the place to be sure the pump is running like it should be. I have had mine not be grounded good or have a bad connection somewhere and it wasn't turning on when I though it was and then just happen to datalog and saw high intake temps which led me to investigage and find the system wasn't working.

I really think this is a high possibility with you and the meth is getting blamed for the super rich condition which is really just from it being so hot out and the meth actually not turning on.
I'm 100% sure it's working, I had someone visually inspect the pump and he says it would turn on as soon as I go WOT.

Keep in mind, our cars are speed density, not MAF based. If the car senses a cooler intake air temp it "should" richen up the mixure...add to that the meth and you have a pig rich car.

As soon as I turned the meth off...my dyno's went up again. My lowest gasoline dyno was 477whp ULTRA heat soaked ( one pull after the other and another...without even turning the car off or waiting ). Yet my BEST meth dyno was 484whp with the engine ULTRA cool...I mean...it was off for 30 minutes with a fan on top of it. I don't even count this run since it really means nothing being so cool.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I really don't know what to say, I guess the only thing to do is research in to who is running it and ask them what they spray (water, water/meth, meth) and if they have checked their a/f reading and intake air temps. I remember see a thread where I think it was Sneaky neon posted a graph from his car showing intake temps with and without meth injection so he could be a good one to ask what he uses and what was done to car to make it work.

Oh also my Audi comes with a maf but the tuning I have is mafless so no maf like the E55, just intake air temp sensor and map sensor then of course knock sensors and coolant temp which it uses for timing adjustment too. It has a wide band o2 sensor which is stupid these cars don't have and that could be the difference since it is much more accurate at reading and adjusting the air/fuel.

Last edited by urbamworm; 09-20-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by urbamworm
I really don't know what to say, I guess the only thing to do is research in to who is running it and ask them what they spray (water, water/meth, meth) and if they have checked their a/f reading and intake air temps. I remember see a thread where I think it was Sneaky neon posted a graph from his car showing intake temps with and without meth injection so he could be a good one to ask what he uses and what was done to car to make it work.

Oh also my Audi comes with a maf but the tuning I have is mafless so no maf like the E55, just intake air temp sensor and map sensor then of course knock sensors and coolant temp which it uses for timing adjustment too. It has a wide band o2 sensor which is stupid these cars don't have and that could be the difference since it is much more accurate at reading and adjusting the air/fuel.
I have no idea why these cars are narrowband. Your Audi can adjust fueling during a WOT run using the O2 sensor...the E55 can't.

Regardless, I'm kinda bummed but I'm searching like crazy for answers...lol.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by GT-ER
No dyno's in 4th for me...I tried that before and not only were the numbers pretty much identical, the run took FOREVER so I decided to stick to 3rd gear.

For those who insist that 4th gear will read differently, it's only true if the ECU makes changes during that 4th gear run vs. a 3rd gear run. The gear ratio it's self has NOTHING to do with it because the dyno doesn't care about gear ratios...I've dyno'd in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and even 5th on various cars ( to include the E55, I've done 2nd, 3rd and 4th on the E ) and have never seen enough difference in power to justify such a long pull with little to no airflow in front of the car.
The most consistent dyno results are obtained when when the tranny / rear diff gear ratios are at 1:1. In an E55, that's 4th gear. Although similar test results may occur using other gears (e.g., 3rd gear), using the lower gear ratio impacts how quickly the engine accelerates, and thus slightly distorts the results. This is pretty common knowledge and why most knowledgeable dyno operators will test your car with it at the 1:1 ratio.

A few years back, Hot Rod Magazine published a detailed article on the use of chassis dynos, and it discusses this issue. A link to the original article is here:

http://www.hotrod.com/techfaq/hrdp_0...e/viewall.html
Old 09-21-2011, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by komp55
The most consistent dyno results are obtained when when the tranny / rear diff gear ratios are at 1:1. In an E55, that's 4th gear. Although similar test results may occur using other gears (e.g., 3rd gear), using the lower gear ratio impacts how quickly the engine accelerates, and thus slightly distorts the results. This is pretty common knowledge and why most knowledgeable dyno operators will test your car with it at the 1:1 ratio.

A few years back, Hot Rod Magazine published a detailed article on the use of chassis dynos, and it discusses this issue. A link to the original article is here:

http://www.hotrod.com/techfaq/hrdp_0...e/viewall.html
But the difference is minimal is higher hp vehicles...to the point that 3rd gear to 4th gear could lose or gain only 3-5whp. Again, I'm talking from experience. I've been working around dyno's for a decade and have over 300 runs on my laptop from various vehicles I've dyno'd and this laptop isn't very old...my last laptop had over 1000 dyno runs.

You must keep in mind that inertia dyno's are dumb...they do not know the difference between gear ratios and they ONLY calculate hp from acceleration vs. speed of the drums. The torque is calculated AFTERWARDS by the rpm pickup. Whether you have the rpm pickup connected or not...it won't change the hp readings.

Gearing won't either for the most part ( only due to loading changes from the engine which are more apparent the weaker the engine ). You see, it takes the same amount of hp ( lets say, 100hp ) to spin a drum from 0-100mph in 10 seconds as it does from 0-50mph in 2.5 seconds ( I'm not calculating this, I'm just using an example so the numbers may not be accurate ). So whether you are in the gear that only goes to 50mph or you are in the gear that goes to 100mph...it takes the same amount of power to roll the drum in the time given.

Here...this is from my Supercharged Infiniti G35:

Pink is 3rd gear and green is 4th gear.

It's the same...4th is spikier because it has a higher resolution. But otherwise, it's the same.

Here are some more from my GTI:

This dyno is in MPH. Notice the offset due to 4th being higher mph's...but the graphs are the same as are the power outputs ( 4th having slightly more low end torque due to the turbo spooling at lower rpms due to load ).

Last edited by GT-ER; 09-21-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Carro
Well, I'm back! Not good though...to begin, ambient temps were 88* and humidity was in the 40%...I was sweating like crazy... Regardless, it's unimportant.

My dyno without the meth was 499whp which was acceptable with an A/F ratio of 12 flat in the mid range and mid 11's in the upper range...the horror is what is to follow.

1st run with the meth....465whp! The car just dumped fuel like crazy...it went to 10.0 which was the minimum the dyno would read. Even after letting my car cool down the A/F ratio would just fall on it's face. This was running a 50/50 mix. It makes sense though...my car isn't tuned for meth and meth will make my A/F richer...but damn...I didn't think it would be this bad.

The dyno operator told me that if I had run straight water it wouldn't have had that problem and would have worked well....he may have a point so that I'll leave for next time.

I also couldn't datalog anything...
I'm depressed though...lol.
Ok. First of all your numbers are where they should be, For stock TB..not bad at all. You are either spraying too much meth or the mix is wrong..20/80 is perfect, if you can adjust how much to spray you will notice the less you spray the leaner you are. The kit i had i could adjust the nozzle to spray barely anything if i wanted to.

-Tuning for meth? means adding timing and you dont want that, for our cars meth is/should be used for cooling purposes so all you need to do is spray just the right amount so it doesnt screw up your combustion. I kept thinking the same thing, oh i need to tune for meth, nope!! unless your tuner is willing to risk it for a few extra Hp

I personally ran close to half a point richer (track tested) while spraying that stuff so i decided to use it only on long pulls.

My car put down 545whp and broke the tires loose on the Dynojet to get me a low 565TQ while spraying tons of it and could only imagine shutting it off. AFRs were low 11s-high 10's

Also 11.5 to 12.0 on that dyno is a bit too lean keeping in mind is not as dense air as on the streets, Not sure how low temps get in PR but if i was you i would put my money in all kinds of Data logging devices just to really see where you at..

Good luck and dont stress it

Last edited by LOCO 05' E55; 09-21-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Scratch77,

Actually I was refering to a stock S65, could we beat one with our current mods in a zero to 150 MPH race? Give the S65's additional weight (5,000 lbs) to our 4,000 lbs I would think yes?

Just curious really.

Thanks.

Alex
Old 09-21-2011, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
Ok. First of all your numbers are where they should be, For stock TB..not bad at all. You are either spraying too much meth or the mix is wrong..20/80 is perfect, if you can adjust how much to spray you will notice the less you spray the leaner you are. The kit i had i could adjust the nozzle to spray barely anything if i wanted to.

-Tuning for meth? means adding timing and you dont want that, for our cars meth is/should be used for cooling purposes so all you need to do is spray just the right amount so it doesnt screw up your combustion. I kept thinking the same thing, oh i need to tune for meth, nope!! unless your tuner is willing to risk it for a few extra Hp

I personally ran close to half a point richer (track tested) while spraying that stuff so i decided to use it only on long pulls.

My car put down 545whp and broke the tires loose on the Dynojet to get me a low 565TQ while spraying tons of it and could only imagine shutting it off. AFRs were low 11s-high 10's

Also 11.5 to 12.0 on that dyno is a bit too lean keeping in mind is not as dense air as on the streets, Not sure how low temps get in PR but if i was you i would put my money in all kinds of Data logging devices just to really see where you at..

Good luck and dont stress it
When my scanner used to work, and before my tune was scaled for the new injectors, my a/f ratio on the dyno was identical and I had ZERO knock...it was beautiful...lol. I've ran like this for quite a while with no issues and beating on it hard!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
just checked my plugs and they were all loose.stupid cheap torque wrench.

Just tightened them all up and going for a drive.ltfts were 4.7 and will report back if they change.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
just checked my plugs and they were all loose.stupid cheap torque wrench.

Just tightened them all up and going for a drive.ltfts were 4.7 and will report back if they change.
How loose? If it was just barely then it should matter...if they were VERY loose ( like finger loosening loose ) then it may be a problem.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
How loose? If it was just barely then it should matter...if they were VERY loose ( like finger loosening loose ) then it may be a problem.
some were finger loose,I just tightened them up without a torque wrench using just enough to get them as tight as Icould berfore they slipped.

lets just say the car is 10x smoother and it feels like I just poored honey in the oil.

it broke second loose like the old days in 75 degree weather with ease.I left a few black patches.

I think my car was knocking like hell on the dyno.

Im going to try and take it back to the track tonight.I went from trapping 122 to 116 so I want to see if the top end is back.

I never posted my first dyno from yesterday and im scanning it now,it was on a cold car and the aits were starting at like 70-75

it hit 10.0 a/f on a COLD car

Last edited by skratch77; 09-21-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
some were finger loose,I just tightened them up without a torque wrench using just enough to get them as tight as Icould berfore they slipped.

lets just say the car is 10x smoother and it feels like I just poored honey in the oil.

it broke second loose like the old days in 75 degree weather with ease.I left a few black patches.

I think my car was knocking like hell on the dyno.

Im going to try and take it back to the track tonight.I went from trapping 122 to 116 so I want to see if the top end is back.

I never posted my first dyno from yesterday and im scanning it now,it was on a cold car and the aits were starting at like 70-75

it hit 10.0 a/f on a COLD car
Oh wow...crazy.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
here is my fist cold run sheet and its in sae so add about 10hp or so for std correction.Car feels way smoother now and but dyno says 25ftbs down low.

thank god for the safe maps that kleemann has in there.people check your plugs!!!!

Last edited by skratch77; 09-21-2011 at 12:56 PM.