W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new e55 owner, have some questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 600
Talking Possible new e55 owner, have some questions...

Hey guys,

Im considering purchasing an e55 amg and have a few questions. Ive searched around here and on dragtimes.com but wanted some opinions straight from the owners.

Im looking for a car that will run low 11's(11.0xx-11.3xx) full weight no nitrous, meth, and on pump gas(91-93oct) and of course assuming i can launch decent 1.7 60 fts. From what ive seen the e55 is a worthy contender. What exact mods will i need? From the days of my srt-6 i know some mods are better bang for the buck...and some mods yield so little gains its almost not worth the money/effort.

Performance specific questions:
What is the most tried and true pulley kit without problems like overboosting or running lean, breaking, slipping, etc?
What intake is everyone running?
Are long tube headers worth it on these cars?
Whats the best tune? Better yet has anyone come up with software/hardware so i can tune it myself?
Are you guys hitting overboosting issues, fuel issues, or problems with map sensors from increased boost? The reason i ask is that i ran into all of these on the srt-6 so im curious if im gonna be heading back down the same road. Not a deal killer but i would like to know up front.

Year model specific questions:
I know 03 is the first year...any bugs?
Ive noticed that on 05's the speedo goes up from 160mph to 200mph, kinda cool...but are there any other subtle or not so subtle differences in the later years i should be aware of, interior or performance, anything at all?
Also it seems some of these cars have panoramic roofs. I havent seen this up close but what are your thoughts? Does it add much weight, reduce structural rigidity, or prone to breakage from flexing off the line, crappy design, etc?

Sorry for all the questions but this will be a car i own for a long time so i was hoping you guys could maybe give me the down low on what you wish you would have known when you bought yours. All advice appreciated!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
Looks like a good start

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...er-3000-a.html
Old 09-28-2011, 09:23 PM

CL 600
Originally Posted by 1995E320Cab
Yea i noticed that thread too, thanks!

Id still be interested in knowing if anyone has any info regarding the minor differences in the yr models and options, as well as what to look for when purchasing one beyond the obvious(clean title and carfax, etc).

And also some advice as to some of the performance questions. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 CLS63S AMG, 2017 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate, 2019 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
Don't get the pano roof unless you like to hear constant creaking. Wish I hadn't gotten one with that option, but it is what it is. Your supercharger clutch will probably need replacing...seems like a very common problem with these motors ($1K part). Make sure the dynamic/pulsing seats work before you buy as these tend to fail. Wish I'd tested mine before I bought the car. Otherwise, a well-built luxurious car that hauls *** and is a hit with the ladies. Expect to get around 13mpg around town, $75 to fill with 91 octane cat ****. I'm guessing low 11s won't be cheap, good luck.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:21 AM

2003 E55 AMG
+1 with the not getting a panoramic. Mine creaks like crazy. It's a nice options but gets annoying quickly. I recently purchased my 03 and love it. No complaints thus far
Old 09-29-2011, 10:49 PM

CL 600
Originally Posted by SLVRE55
+1 with the not getting a panoramic. Mine creaks like crazy. It's a nice options but gets annoying quickly. I recently purchased my 03 and love it. No complaints thus far
I really appreciate that input guys thats exactly what i needed to hear!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
I'd third not getting pano, but mostly because it adds a good amount of weight to the car. I have to say I love my pano though, creaks or not it's gorgeous.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:58 AM

////E55
Don't go with the Pano.

And I personally wouldn't hold out for one with the Dynamic seats. I have them. They work, but to be honest, what's the point? Also, the ventilated seats don't really do a damn thing. They certainly do not cool down much in the middle of summer.

The best advice I can give is get the warranty. My Certified Pre-Owned was in the shop for a total of 30 days during the first 6 months of ownership. I didn't pay a penny in repairs.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 AM

2005 E55 AMG
I have to go against the group on the Pano roof. I had to have it in my 05. I do not experience the creaks that everyone is speaking of. Is this only during really hard turns that everyone is having the issue with?

As far as differences in years (off the top of my head):

03/04/first half of 05 has a tiny pop up cupholder that holds nothing except cans of soda, which I refuse to have in the car. The center armrest is a pop open design that has an upper and lower storage compartment. The later 05 and 06 have a slide back cover for the center armrest area but has huge cupholders. I personally prefer the 03/04/early05 design.

03 is prone to a failing radiator issue, so make sure it's been replaced.

03/04 has the solar pano option for the fans to recirculate air in the car, but heard they are basically useless.

Late 05/06 removed the REST option from the AC.

On all years, check the rear seating area for smells of gas as the pump/hose section is prone to break/leak. There was a recall, so see if it was done.

That's all I can think of at this moment.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
I am going with the poster above on the Pano Roof. My Pano Roof makes no squeaks/creaks. The drive motor needed to be repaired, but is trouble/noise free.

One more thing to add to your list of things to check: ball joints. My 03 E55 is coming up on balljoint replacement in the next few months.... The originals were replaced at approx 70k miles, and my car now has about 133k miles.

FYI - My E55 has most of the goodies of the later W211s retrofitted into it. I have the center console with the rolltop box, navigation with sat radio, ipod, and bluetooth, updated tails with updated trunk panel, updated headlights, and (soon) the updated instrument cluster/rear heated seats.

These cars are very DIY friendly, you just need to have confidence and the right tools! This forum is/has been/will be invaluable. I fixed the Pano Roof motor in my car in an afternoon, and $10 with guidance from some of the forum members here!