Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first mod

I've read quite a few threads that say that long tubes should be the first mod someone does. Long tubes pulleys and upgraded cooling and an ecu tune seem to be what people do. I figured an lsd would be my first mod. Why don't more high horsepower cars list the lsd in there mods list? This car can shred the tires in its stock form.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by keynote22
I've read quite a few threads that say that long tubes should be the first mod someone does. Long tubes pulleys and upgraded cooling and an ecu tune seem to be what people do. I figured an lsd would be my first mod. Why don't more high horsepower cars list the lsd in there mods list? This car can shred the tires in its stock form.
It'll shred them with an LSD as well. Traction control is good enough for me not to care much about an LSD.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 AM

05 E55
Yeah-I'm grabbing second gear rubber on my low mileage stock (other than bosch upgraded ic pump) e55 with newer Nitto NT555R's. First gear is atrocious. I don't see an LSD getting rid of that problem. Need wheels and more patch asap.

OP-After alot of reading/searching, I think I am going to go headers (probably shorties, just my preference, had problems before with longtubes with NY emissions) a tune, and a new H/E, not sure which yet. There is power to be had without a pulley, and you're cooling is already a concern stock, let alone on a pullied beasty. If you haven't already, address your stock ic pump. I bought my car 3 weeks ago and thought it was running strong. I then installed the latest revision bosch pump (113.00 online) and it was a world of difference.

Last edited by Helli217; 10-10-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
First mod should be Larger Heat Exchanger and pump.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding of an lsd is that if one wheel starts to spin the lsd transfers power to the other wheel effectively doubling ones contact patch? The only reason rwe wouldn't want solid axels is because going around corners is a good thing to be able to do. The lsd is a happy middle between locked and open.

The factory system uses the brakes and engine kill to control wheel spin.. generally not a good thing for forward movememt. my understanding of this cars systems must be way off because putting an lsd in my truck made the difference between spinning the drive wheel all the time and using both rear wheels to move forward

Last edited by keynote22; 10-10-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by keynote22
It all depends on what your plans for the car are and your budget?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I have been preaching Long Tubes FIRST for mods but now have come to realize they come with a price.

Gotta have tune as you are hacking some O2s off to install. So tune will have to be included in price. Then there are emissions problems. Some long tube guys have problems passing emissions with O2 issues.

Not sure how they get around it. I use a separate ECU that I plug in with my Kleemann tune and it works perfect. That is serious $$$$ though. I had that back in the early tuning days.

Otherwise, be interested how some of the other long tubers are doing it.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I have been preaching Long Tubes FIRST for mods but now have come to realize they come with a price.

Gotta have tune as you are hacking some O2s off to install. So tune will have to be included in price. Then there are emissions problems. Some long tube guys have problems passing emissions with O2 issues.

Not sure how they get around it. I use a separate ECU that I plug in with my Kleemann tune and it works perfect. That is serious $$$$ though. I had that back in the early tuning days.

Otherwise, be interested how some of the other long tubers are doing it.
If they install the correct parts they will not have to hack up the primary O2's and yes headers should be the 1st mod. You add good hp without any extra heat and your SC runs with less boost. To take full advantage of headers you will or atleast you should get it tuned. Hell you may be able to pick up 60+ rwhp with headers & a tune and call it a day