Sponsored by:

11 second street tire club yay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Damn it! I was going off what Hammerdown said in a thread like 6 months ago that I came across. Oh well, I can live with 11.78 for now, I am sure once I get an attempt in cold weather and maybe run straight race gas, take the air filters out and maybe remove the spare tire also and perhaps have an ice tank that I could do better
Old 10-13-2011, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by urbamworm
Damn it! I was going off what Hammerdown said in a thread like 6 months ago that I came across. Oh well, I can live with 11.78 for now, I am sure once I get an attempt in cold weather and maybe run straight race gas, take the air filters out and maybe remove the spare tire also and perhaps have an ice tank that I could do better
Dont forget to run without the grill.. Ive heard that helps.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I think 11.7 is the fastest STOCK time on street tires. I went 12.5 with a 2.0 60ft a few weeks ago and my car is stock to the air filters (besides the 18" f14 forgestars). Shouldn't you be doing a little better with the mods you have!!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by MrKool
Actually, I think 11.7 is the fastest STOCK time on street tires. I went 12.5 with a 2.0 60ft a few weeks ago and my car is stock to the air filters (besides the 18" f14 forgestars). Shouldn't you be doing a little better with the mods you have!!
When were we ever talking about fastest STOCK on street tires? The OP is modded, and he thought it was 11.77. And Id like to know who the hell did an 11.7 stock on street tires?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not really, the guys that run mid 11s or low 11s are either running race gas, running in weather like 40 degrees out where I was in mid 70s and high humidity and they are running drag radials on smaller wheels cutting another 1 or 2 tenths off their 60ft which equates to more like 3 or 4 tenths at the end of the track. And then there are other little tricks like the ice box resevoirs that some run to have ice cold water running through their intercooler as well as removing air filters, taking out the grill, running meth injection.

The biggest thing is cold weather which helps a lot and very good density altitude (below sea level) when a lot of the good runs are made and then of course the drag radials to get off the line in the 1.6s 60ft time which right there could have lowered my time by almost 3 tenths with everything else the same.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Originally Posted by AKnight55
And Id like to know who the hell did an 11.7 stock on street tires?
Yeah - who is that guy?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

52 degrees out, see that is weather I need to run in!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Not really, the guys that run mid 11s or low 11s are either running race gas, running in weather like 40 degrees out where I was in mid 70s and high humidity and they are running drag radials on smaller wheels cutting another 1 or 2 tenths off their 60ft which equates to more like 3 or 4 tenths at the end of the track. And then there are other little tricks like the ice box resevoirs that some run to have ice cold water running through their intercooler as well as removing air filters, taking out the grill, running meth injection.

The biggest thing is cold weather which helps a lot and very good density altitude (below sea level) when a lot of the good runs are made and then of course the drag radials to get off the line in the 1.6s 60ft time which right there could have lowered my time by almost 3 tenths with everything else the same.
LMAO!!!
Go give yourself a big pat on the back...none of those other guys could have had a better sorted car than you, or more seat time, better track prep, or perhaps were more dedicated to reaching their goals...nah!

Oh wait...here is Enzom post from 2006!!! Stock! No 40* weather, no drag radials, no extended cool down sessions...but then again, it wasn't his PB either!

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...s-all-day.html
Old 10-13-2011, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes some may have a more aggresive tune (more sorted out?), mine isn't on the aggresive side. Seat time? You get off the line good which I did run a 1.78 60ft on General Exclaim UHP tires you can research how awesome they are yourself (sarcasm there because they are not good tires at all) and then hold the throttle on the floor, not to complicated.

Dedication, how can I be more dedicated? I wanted to see what the car does how it is driven every day, not with a missing grill, no air filters, ice water running through its veins or whatever other little tricks may be used by many when trying to get every last tenth out of the car. Sure some didn't do that stuff and ran pretty good times but it usually comes back to good weather and track prep. My goal was to get in the 11s with nothing special going on which I did, not to run the best time ever laid down.

And I said weather is one of the most import things, and the run you just posted take a look it was a DA of 780 (it was upper 50s and low 60s that day), mine was 1500 and that absolutely makes a difference and I had zero cool down on the runs, they were 3 and 4 minutes apart, literally driving from the end of the track and waiting for 1 car to run ahead of me and then I would go again so I certainly wasn't doing anything special by a long stretch.

Last edited by urbamworm; 10-13-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
You did great, you reached your goal, congrats! Leave it at that, STOP HERE!

But then you have to go ahead and compare your times against everyone else...and instead of giving them props, you make blanket statements saying oh they had this or that and I could have done that too....yada yada yada. Basically undermining their accomplishments!

BTW, yes he had better DA, but he was stock...further, the rest of the world has had 5 years to perfect their game and challenge his times.
Not too shabby in my opinion!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by AKnight55
When were we ever talking about fastest STOCK on street tires? The OP is modded, and he thought it was 11.77. And Id like to know who the hell did an 11.7 stock on street tires?
A few years back Enzom ran 11.77 stock on street tires. He no longer owns the car but a member here on the forum bought it.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Hey now, what I said was the quickest time for a stock E55 on street tires is 11.77.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lowprofile
You did great, you reached your goal, congrats! Leave it at that, STOP HERE!

But then you have to go ahead and compare your times against everyone else...and instead of giving them props, you make blanket statements saying oh they had this or that and I could have done that too....yada yada yada. Basically undermining their accomplishments!

BTW, yes he had better DA, but he was stock...further, the rest of the world has had 5 years to perfect their game and challenge his times.
Not too shabby in my opinion!
I think you are misunderstanding what I was trying to originally say after that guy said shouldn't I have done better. What I understood is he was saying why didn't I run an 11.2 or 3 (made up lower number that cars with similar mods have ran) instead of an 11.7 and that is where I made the comment that guys who run better times (like low 11s) have more stuff going on (like the drag radials, race gas, cold weather, etc). I in no way was trying to discredit anyones times but explain that I could probably run similar low 11s if I did as they did but that wasn't my intentions that night at the track. It was simply saying that I had room to grow and make similar numbers to others with the same mods.

Last edited by urbamworm; 10-13-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Hey now, what I said was the quickest time for a stock E55 on street tires is 11.77.
Yeah I figured that out now, I misunderstood your post when I read it. And out of curiousity what was the weather like when you ran your 11.70 (temp and DA) and was that on regular pump gas, race gas or race/pump mix?

Last edited by urbamworm; 10-13-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I think you are misunderstanding what I was trying to originally say after that guy said shouldn't I have done better. What I understood is he was saying why didn't I run an 11.2 or 3 (made up lower number that cars with similar mods have ran) instead of an 11.7 and that is where I made the comment that guys who run better times (like low 11s) have more stuff going on (like the drag radials, race gas, cold weather, etc). I in no way was trying to discredit anyones times but explain that I could probably run similar low 11s if I did as they did but that wasn't my intentions that night at the track. It was simply saying that I had room to grow and make similar numbers to others with the same mods.
I think I understand what you wrote and meant pretty well. You could have just told him to **** off, or maybe next time, but you chose to make a comment that dragged down others who have helped pave the road to lower ET's.

Ps. I will stay out of your thread from here on out. Peace

Last edited by lowprofile; 10-13-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Hey Urbamworm, what streets are you running? If they are high performance summers, you might try lowering your air pressure to about 25psi and heating the tires a bit with a burnout. i did this with T1Rs and managed a 1.76. It was in an SL, but I think we all share traction issues with modded 55ks.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lowprofile
I think I understand what you wrote and meant pretty well. You could have just told him to **** off, or maybe next time, but you chose to make a comment that dragged down others who have helped pave the road to lower ET's.

Ps. I will stay out of your thread from here on out. Peace
I guess we just have to agree to disagree because what you think my comment meant and what it actually meant were not the same.

Once again, I simply stated typically more needs to be done than what I did for better times (low 11s). There is nothing wrong with running race gas or drag radials or waiting for cold weather, spraying your car down with nitrous, running ice in a tank, etc. I used to take the spare tire out and every single seat out of my car but the driver seat in my A4 when going to the track trying to get every last tenth out of it. If you feel that listing out other things I could do in the future like some others have done is bringing them down then I am sorry you feel that way.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cal1
Hey Urbamworm, what streets are you running? If they are high performance summers, you might try lowering your air pressure to about 25psi and heating the tires a bit with a burnout. i did this with T1Rs and managed a 1.76. It was in an SL, but I think we all share traction issues with modded 55ks.
General Exclaim UHP. They are 380 A traction tire. They are hard tires with a long wear life (380) so they don't like to grip the best compared to a nice soft compound tire and also something I hate is they are very screachy when they spin on the road. In comparison something like a Pilot Sport PS2 is a 220 AA traction tire or your T1-R is a 280 AA.

I just ran the pressure at normal pressures and didn't mess with them at all.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
General Exclaim UHP. They are 380 A traction tire. They are hard tires with a long wear life (380) so they don't like to grip the best compared to a nice soft compound tire and also something I hate is they are very screachy when they spin on the road. In comparison something like a Pilot Sport PS2 is a 220 AA traction tire or your T1-R is a 280 AA.

I just ran the pressure at normal pressures and didn't mess with them at all.
Comparing treadwear between brands is kinda useless they are not accurately measured. A 280TW tire from one brand can be softer and wear quicker than a 200TW from another.

From Tirerack:

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

Last edited by GT-ER; 10-13-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting. Well for what it is worth they are hard if you push on them lol. I talked to a guy with a Z06 about tires one night who had some PS2s and they were so much softer than mine, he said they gripped really good.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Yeah I figured that out now, I misunderstood your post when I read it. And out of curiousity what was the weather like when you ran your 11.70 (temp and DA) and was that on regular pump gas, race gas or race/pump mix?
59 degrees, -18 DA & 100/91 mix 50/50
Old 10-14-2011, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dang -DA, I wonder if that is even possible here, it does get pretty dang cold, not for long though but it seems like it is always humid which brings the DA up. Gonna have to look in to that. I couldn't even imagine being at the track on a night where it was like 40 degrees, think the coldest it has ever been for me is 68 when I have been able to make it the strip, in the other car though. It doesn't get real cold here until like December and then the track isn't open anymore and by the time it opens back up it isn't cold anymore, it is still in the 60s in November when the track closes and back to weather like that when it opens back up.

Last edited by urbamworm; 10-14-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Dang -DA, I wonder if that is even possible here, it does get pretty dang cold, not for long though but it seems like it is always humid which brings the DA up. Gonna have to look in to that. I couldn't even imagine being at the track on a night where it was like 40 degrees, think the coldest it has ever been for me is 68 when I have been able to make it the strip, in the other car though. It doesn't get real cold here until like December and then the track isn't open anymore and by the time it opens back up it isn't cold anymore, it is still in the 60s in November when the track closes and back to weather like that when it opens back up.
when the weather is right go back out and this time run on drag radials and see where that gets you. I think with some near zero DA and a good launch you could run as low as 11.3x
Old 10-14-2011, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
You may already know about this link, if not check it out. http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...011&time=11:53

I'm not sure what track you go to, but it looks like some FL tracks get reasonable DAs in Jan and Feb.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
correct me if i am wrong but unless you have a seperate file tuned for race gas to advance timing with the higher octane isnt it kinda pointless? unless the benz ecu is smart enough to recognize different octanes in the tank and advance timing for it then i wouldnt think race gas would do much of anything

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 11 second street tire club yay