W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underhood Liner: How many of you still have it?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by Prada
So the temps shouldn't be affected by the guard because of the AC ECU? And if that's the case, why did Marc see an increase in temps?
Marc may have been running in EC mode (compressor off) ?

I'm just of the opinion it may be a moot point, also maybe the increase in temps was the car getting progressively hotter as it warmed up, as in, the heater case getting warmer internally, or the firewall, etc..There are a lot of variables here. Even with the shield in place, the area around the cabin filter (sheetmetal) will get progressively hotter as the car sits at idle, to a point. So, not quite sure about the real effect here. Either way the A/C will still cool inside. There is no doubt some of the hot engine compartment air is mixing with fresh air, how much is debatable, you'll see in the video. But, in reality, compared to most other brand cars, the A/C intake gets some hot air from under the hood and around the cowling as they are not tightly sealed like the MB design, and are usually located at the base of the windshield behind the hood.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by marc.l
Guys I'm not saying it dose not lower under bonnet temps , I'm saying the reason is because you are drawing it into the car through under the hood . With doing this it's fine unless you have an exhaust leak , or sit behind a car in traffic because you are pulling the cabin air in through the front grill , just above every one else's exhaust hight .
With my test stationary , interior fan running the grill we still sucking in air rather than exhausting ,
To prove this theory, you can block off the cabin intake and then the underhood temps should not drop

I think the ultimate solution here is to find a way to keep the cabin air intake section separate from the center of the grill, for example extending higher the rubber seal, so it presses against the bottom of the grill,but easier said than done due to the design in that area.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi A4
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Marc may have been running in EC mode (compressor off) ?

I'm just of the opinion it may be a moot point, also maybe the increase in temps was the car getting progressively hotter as it warmed up, as in, the heater case getting warmer internally, or the firewall, etc..There are a lot of variables here. Even with the shield in place, the area around the cabin filter (sheetmetal) will get progressively hotter as the car sits at idle, to a point. So, not quite sure about the real effect here. Either way the A/C will still cool inside. There is no doubt some of the hot engine compartment air is mixing with fresh air, how much is debatable, you'll see in the video. But, in reality, compared to most other brand cars, the A/C intake gets some hot air from under the hood and around the cowling as they are not tightly sealed like the MB design, and are usually located at the base of the windshield behind the hood.
I agree it's a moot point. But I'm entertaining this "con" in hopes of shedding light on the issue to those who haven't done this "mod" and are on the fence, so to speak. Because I feel it's a great mod with little if any negative side effects and to be put off by false and misleading information is a real shame given the benefits of doing it..
Old 09-19-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 estate
That would be a good idea seriously carbon monoxide poisoning is not a good thing , you won't smell it , you will just drift slowly off to sleep . A different story but quite a lot of people die from it in the uk every year , last one I can recal was a family camping using throw away charcoal BBQ , they thought it had gone out , put it in the tent and it killed there children .
You will ask what's the risk of cracking an exhaust manifold or having an exhaust leak under the hood ? Pretty low I guess , but not a risk I would take !!! And tbh I think if you did and caused a problem to a passenger you would be on a manslaughter charge , is it worth the risk for a drop in under hood temps ?

Last edited by marc.l; 09-19-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Vids are up:

The outside temp was about 90F, engine fan running at about 70%, hood liner and panel removed

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 09-19-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by marc.l
That would be a good idea seriously carbon monoxide poisoning is not a good thing , you won't smell it , you will just drift slowly off to sleep . A different story but quite a lot of people die from it in the uk every year , last one I can recal was a family camping using throw away charcoal BBQ , they thought it had gone out , put it in the tent and it killed there children .
You will ask what's the risk of cracking an exhaust manifold or having an exhaust leak under the hood ? Pretty low I guess , but not a risk I would take !!! And tbh I think if you did and caused a problem to a passenger you would be on a manslaughter charge , is it worth the risk for a drop in under hood temps ?
To each their own, if you are that concerned about it you shouldn't do it. I think you're taking safety to an extreme. Even though you can't smell carbon monoxide you very much can smell exhaust and hear it. I'd say this is very low on the dangerous chances myself and others take in life. Hell, getting into your car and driving it on the road is way more dangerous
Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
It would have to be a huge exhaust leak to be worried (aka open headers) , and further more there is still a large amount of fresh outside air being sucked in as well....
Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Vids are up:

The outside temp was about 90F, engine fan running at about
Wow! That is facinating! Thanks for doing it and showing us!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Maybe we are all saying the same thing, but the videos show exactly what Marc and I said they would - when you are standing still the the fan creates the high pressure zone and forces the air out of the grill. I would be very surprised if the fan forced the engine air out when the car was moving at anything more than 45 mph (or so) - my guess is the lowest pressure zone is under the car and most of the hot air is pushed (via the fan and velocity of the car) under the car (low pressure zone). The video also validates the left side will draw air (and will do so even more when the car is moving).

I will try to get my video (car moving) up before the weekend. Good stuff

Last edited by cij911; 09-19-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
I think the key is when you're driving at speed cold air will be forced down through the hood and then out the bottom of the car. Regardless of whether heat is escaping through the vent or cold air from outside is being forced into the engine compartment through the vent the same thing is being accomplished, a cooler engine compartment.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by PACougar
I think the key is when you're driving at speed cold air will be forced down through the hood and then out the bottom of the car. Regardless of whether heat is escaping through the vent or cold air from outside is being forced into the engine compartment through the vent the same thing is being accomplished, a cooler engine compartment.
Possibly ...Some of the GM cars used a raised cowl for cold air intake

Wouldn't that be interesting if what we found was removing the center part of the grill allowed air to pass into the engine compartment (at speed) and aid in cooling .
Old 09-20-2012, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Overall this has been a very informative thread and thanks for the videos GreaseMonkey! I have no conerns and am keeping my hoodliner and vent removed. I live in a very hot climate (AZ) for me me, this is a no brainer. I run my AC on recycle mode anyway so I'm not worried.

Good stuff there though and everyone kept it pretty civil which is a testment to the MB Owners forum.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I took my liner and plastic piece out yesterday and like the sound from the engine bay.

Did anyone else have major issues with those plastic screws in the plastic piece? After breaking them I had to just drill them out.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Back from 2012. Anyone else removed the hood liner and plastic piece? Any negative effects? Thanks
Old 06-13-2018, 02:44 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Anyone else?
Old 06-13-2018, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, CTS V
Were the 160+ posts from 2012 not enough of a sell?
For what its worth i have both of those removed. heat definitely dissipates from the plastic vent and the liner allows for a little more blower noise (mainly under cruising conditions)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
E420
Reading through this I don't think I saw anyone mention that if you have ac on recirculate it's not going to suck in hot engine bay air.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:58 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by brdaun
Were the 160+ posts from 2012 not enough of a sell?
For what its worth i have both of those removed. heat definitely dissipates from the plastic vent and the liner allows for a little more blower noise (mainly under cruising conditions)
Well, after 6 years I was hoping to see what others have experienced from removing the vent and liner.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:00 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by E42AMG???
Reading through this I don't think I saw anyone mention that if you have ac on recirculate it's not going to suck in hot engine bay air.
That I knew about. I was just making sure no one was affected by apparent CO poisoning, God forbid.