Looking at purchasing an E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Lexus SC 300
Looking at purchasing an E55

Hey guys,

I know based on the title of this thread, you guys are probably like "ugh.. not another one of these threads", but here me out please, I'll keep it short.

Basically, I'm looking at purchasing an E55 and I have seen a few for sale within a decent radius of me, but I'm really concerned about maintenance / repairs on this bad boy. I searched around and found that you can get an extended warranty on them, but who do I go about talking to about this? I called Michael Case (or whatever his name was), and he said they no longer warranty AMG models. I went to the Chrysler website to get a quote and Mercedes wasn't even on there. I'd like to figure out the whole warranty thing and what it covers before taking the plunge to buy this car. I plan on using it as a daily driver, and would hate to have things break down on me on the way to / from work.

Thanks for your time!
Old 11-11-2011, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
STFF.

Call Bruce @ becksimports re: Warranties.

/Thread.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
The E55 when it goes bad isn't a cheap fix. If you have the extra cash and are able to have a reserved "fix" fund as a pool to dip into when the occasion arises...and it will...then I would consider it.

AMG's have come down a lot on price but the repair costs still are still at the full retail price when new...there is no depreciation there. If you do decide to get one, make sure you get cozy with your MB ASE certified independent shop and can source MB parts from other than the dealer.

Good luck...
Old 11-11-2011, 12:08 PM

1998 Lexus SC 300
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
STFF.

Call Bruce @ becksimports re: Warranties.

/Thread.
Wow, didn't mean to ruin your day... like I said, I've searched but all of what I searched seemed out of date. None of the numbers in those threads are picking up and the one that actually did call me back say they no longer cover AMGs. I'll try calling this Bruce guy.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I just purchased one this year too and love it. You will not regret buying one -these cars are truly "beasts". I would recommend buying a warranty just "incase". I've had mine for several months and nothing. When you hear repair costs, they can get expensive but find a nice indy close by (stealership's are last resort). Also maintenance can be pricey but try and do some yourself if you're somewhat handy with a tool (I did oil, air, tranny changes myself).

As far as warranties, I called around too asking about AMG. Chrylser is not issuing any but I think "Easycare" is one of the best from what I've read. It depends on year and mileage but expect to pay $2-5k for a quality one. I think there is a guy on this forum that has a good reputation and can sell them too.

Good luck, you won't regret it!
Old 11-11-2011, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
I bought mine from Carmax who exclusively offer CNA extended warranties. CNA only offers warranties through dealers, so one approach woud be to buy your E55 at a Carmax then get the warranty.

My warranty cost $2K and they've already covered $15K in repairs! My co-pay is only $50 per visit.

BAM!

Alex
Old 11-11-2011, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by alextaylor29
I bought mine from Carmax who exclusively offer CNA extended warranties. CNA only offers warranties through dealers, so one approach woud be to buy your E55 at a Carmax then get the warranty.

My warranty cost $2K and they've already covered $15K in repairs! My co-pay is only $50 per visit.

BAM!

Alex

Then this is really a good deal ! if the warranty through the dealer makes thing much easier. $15k repairs ? what did u do ? change the engine ?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG LOL
Wow, didn't mean to ruin your day... like I said, I've searched but all of what I searched seemed out of date. None of the numbers in those threads are picking up and the one that actually did call me back say they no longer cover AMGs. I'll try calling this Bruce guy.
Hardly ruined my day (just my morning), there have been 3 or 4 threads on this very topic (with virtually the same title) in the last two weeks.

Like I said, try Bruce, he's supposedly the man. I bought my car CPO'd and extended the warranty for a pretty penny but so far in the 5 months I've had the car it's already covered $2k+ in repairs (stupid things like a loose paddle shifter, distorting center speaker and a dead keyless door handle).
Old 11-11-2011, 01:22 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Hardly ruined my day (just my morning), there have been 3 or 4 threads on this very topic (with virtually the same title) in the last two weeks.

Like I said, try Bruce, he's supposedly the man. I bought my car CPO'd and extended the warranty for a pretty penny but so far in the 5 months I've had the car it's already covered $2k+ in repairs (stupid things like a loose paddle shifter, distorting center speaker and a dead keyless door handle).
My center speaker is kinda getting distorted at high frequencies, like voices and stuff when there is no music. I thought this would be considered normal after x years and not covered by warranty. How long did it take them to fix it?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CityOfAngels
My center speaker is kinda getting distorted at high frequencies, like voices and stuff when there is no music. I thought this would be considered normal after x years and not covered by warranty. How long did it take them to fix it?
Took them a few hours, but they didn't really fix the issue, it's in the shop again today. There are a few DIY fixes like getting a quality replacement yourself and splicing it in or gluing felt to the inside of the grille.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought my E55 in April of this year, and I KNOW that I've posted about warranty costs, etc several times. My warranty covers me for 5 years and 70,000 miles for around $4000. I've already saved around $2000 in repair costs with this warranty, so I have no doubt that it will easily pay for itself several times over in the remaining 4.5 years.

-G
Old 11-12-2011, 10:32 PM

W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330
Hey guys,

I know based on the title of this thread, you guys are probably like "ugh.. not another one of these threads", but here me out please, I'll keep it short.

Basically, I'm looking at purchasing an E55 and I have seen a few for sale within a decent radius of me, but I'm really concerned about maintenance / repairs on this bad boy. I searched around and found that you can get an extended warranty on them, but who do I go about talking to about this? I called Michael Case (or whatever his name was), and he said they no longer warranty AMG models. I went to the Chrysler website to get a quote and Mercedes wasn't even on there. I'd like to figure out the whole warranty thing and what it covers before taking the plunge to buy this car. I plan on using it as a daily driver, and would hate to have things break down on me on the way to / from work.

Thanks for your time!
Do you belong to a credit union? If so, just go down and ask if they sell extended warranties. Mine did and it was $2k for a NAC Platinum, 4 years/50k(miles start from the warranty date, so I have a warranty until 90k), $50 ded.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:51 PM

1998 Lexus SC 300
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
Do you belong to a credit union? If so, just go down and ask if they sell extended warranties. Mine did and it was $2k for a NAC Platinum, 4 years/50k(miles start from the warranty date, so I have a warranty until 90k), $50 ded.
Wow, that's an amazing deal! Unfortunately, I do not belong to any credit union (I don't deal with interest from third-party lenders), but do you know if I can still apply for this warranty or something similar?

I talked to Bruce and he told me I must find an 04 or newer with less than 70k miles and it would be $4500 for exclusionary coverage for 3 years/36k miles.

Also, a local dealership I found selling a 2004 with 52k miles offers the following warranties, but does anyone know how legitimate these are for this car? It doesn't even mention anything about suspension...

Last edited by AMG LOL; 11-12-2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: added an image
Old 11-13-2011, 06:47 AM

You can probably walk in to any credit union near you and just ask if they offer extended warranties. If they do, just sign up for a saving acct and stick $100 in it. That should make you an eligible shareholder and you can get your warranty.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 AM

1998 Lexus SC 300
You can probably walk in to any credit union near you and just ask if they offer extended warranties. If they do, just sign up for a saving acct and stick $100 in it. That should make you an eligible shareholder and you can get your warranty.
Cool, have you had any issues with your car yet? I'm interested to see how they go about it. I've had a bad experiences with extended warranties in the past of things being covered and not covered.. you never know what you're in for some times.

Also, did you get a chance to look at the image I attached? Is that warranty any good?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Just posted a thread about a clean 06 (last year of E55 made)
Old 11-13-2011, 10:46 PM

Cool, have you had any issues with your car yet? I'm interested to see how they go about it. I've had a bad experiences with extended warranties in the past of things being covered and not covered.. you never know what you're in for some times.

Also, did you get a chance to look at the image I attached? Is that warranty any good?
Not sure who provides the warranty you posted, but it seems there are many things not covered. The NAC Warranty I posted is an exclusionary warranty that just says what is not covered. I believe Becks also sells NAC.

As for using the warranty, I used my old Fidelity warranty which just ran out. the Fidelity came with my car and I spent $40 for a transfer. Pretty good money as repairs in the that time were $4k+.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 AM

1998 Lexus SC 300
Not sure who provides the warranty you posted, but it seems there are many things not covered. The NAC Warranty I posted is an exclusionary warranty that just says what is not covered. I believe Becks also sells NAC.

As for using the warranty, I used my old Fidelity warranty which just ran out. the Fidelity came with my car and I spent $40 for a transfer. Pretty good money as repairs in the that time were $4k+.
So if Becks uses NAC.. what's the difference between getting NAC through Becks or getting it yourself?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211

My penfedfcu where i got the loan didn't approve of the E55 for their Rt66 Warranty $1895. Denied due to amg, even though it did say excluding E class. What warranty /fcu did you use?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
So if Becks uses NAC.. what's the difference between getting NAC through Becks or getting it yourself?
Bruce is a lot more competitive on the pricing than most other places that sell NAC warranties...

-G
Old 11-15-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by novae500
My penfedfcu where i got the loan didn't approve of the E55 for their Rt66 Warranty $1895. Denied due to amg, even though it did say excluding E class. What warranty /fcu did you use?
HawaiiUSA FCU.