Just picked up an E55 AMG :D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
Just picked up an E55 AMG :D

Hi all,

New guy here from the UK. Previously I've been a bit of a Lexus nut, but when I saw an E55 AMG (black/black) at a local dealership I just fell in love and had to have it.

Picked it up today and am getting used to some of the features of it (oh and the mad 500bhp!!).

Got a couple of questions though....

- When driving down the motorway at a constant speed in 5th, the car surges ever so slightly. I don't notice any difference in actual speed on the speedo, but it feels like its speeding up and slowing down ever so slightly. Could this be something as simple as the throttlebody needing a clean, or supercharger belt/clutch issues?

- How easy/hard is it to perform a complete throttlebody clean? I've done it on previous cars, but have no idea where the TB is on these cars.

- How easy/hard are spark plugs to change, and what ones would be required?

- I cant for the life of me work out how to turn off the ceilin light at the back of the car off. None of the buttons around it have any effect.

Thanks guys
Old 11-20-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55 AMG
Congrates on the new car.
Originally from England myself.
Do a quick search for thottle body and spark plugs because they have been talked to death already and there are plenty of old threads.
The are both easy jobs for the DIYer. Throttle body takes 2 mins to get to and 10 mins to remove.
Use the search function for all new questions or you'll get eaten alive by the diehards.
the rear light can be turned off from the buttons infront of the sunroof.
Have a blast with it. I couldn't imagine the petrol bill over there.$$$
Old 11-20-2011, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Me three
Another Brit overseas
Old 11-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Welcome and enjoy your beast!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 GLS63 AMG Diamond White
Congrats man! First couple weeks with the beast are the most precious. Enjoy every moment hitting the gas!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:45 AM

e55
Thanks for the replies guys, it's good to see some brits on here too!

I'll do a search around for my questions posted above, but at least the car sounds reasonably eay to work on.

Does anyone have any idea about my surging issue though? I've tried a number of searches and none of the results returned seem to relate to what I'm seeing.

The car idles fine, pulls away fine, but when trying to maintain a constant speed on the motorway, it sort of 'pulses'.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:55 PM

e55
Guys,

Maybe its going to take me some time to get used to this forum, but I really can't find any of the things I'm searching for. I've used both google site search and a search of the W211 AMG forum on here but it seems that a lot of the posts contain the words I'm searching for, but not what I need.

I'm looking for:

- A guide on how to get to/clean the throttlebody. It looks like the supercharger needs to come off, but how?

- A guide on spark plug replacement

- Info on what catch can to purchase and where to hook it up (what tubes are for pcv(s))

- How to completely reset the ECU (do you really have to leave battery of for 2 days or take it to someone with a STAR thingy?)

I'd also quite like to know if the following would be sufficient for a d+ service (110k):

- Coolant flush and refill
- Oil drain and refill with Mobil1 0w40
- K&N Oil filter
- New serp belt (current one is squeaking when cold)
- New S/C belt (looks a bit worn on top)
- K&N Air Filters
- New S/C oil maybe?

Brakes were done recently & Fluid flushed. Transmission was flushed. New tyres on.

Trending Topics

Old 11-22-2011, 05:47 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Start with the thread labelled: Sticky: Poll: DIY Thread- Read Inside!! Great Info!! at the top of the threads list.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:58 AM

2007 E63, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe & 1991 Honda Accord
Wishing you all the best with your new ride. Post some pictures when you can.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:55 AM

e55
Originally Posted by Ryououki
Start with the thread labelled: Sticky: Poll: DIY Thread- Read Inside!! Great Info!! at the top of the threads list.
Yeah I've been in there already thanks mate and have printed off a few guides on how to remove the serp and sc belts. But there's nothing in there about spark plugs, nor anything (with pics) on how to get at the throttle body.

I've also not come across anything else regarding ECU resets or what Is normally done in a D service.

So either I'm being blind, or what I'm searching for isn't there?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
First off, congrats on the new car!

As you'll see around here, "do a search" is a common mantra. There are just too many newbies joining the site that just want to be spoon-fed all of the accumulated wisdom that's here without putting in any effort. I can tell already that is not the case with you, and you seem to be putting in the hours trying to locate the info you want.

People tend to jump in and help more once they see you are making an effort (but coming up short) so I expect you'll get some links to spark plug or throttlebody DIY stuff soon.

I've heard people here report that even a simple aftermarket ECU tune can sometimes smooth-out a rougher running engine (assuming all the basics were already addressed)... Though I think those claims we're mostly about low RPM, low speed surging not high speed issues.

I occasionally get a low speed "bucking" effect with mine which might be motor mounts.... When the car bucks it sets up an oscillation with the gas pedal and my foot. So I have to pull my foot completely off the pedal to make it stop.... Then resume driving as normal.

I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out. Some guys have reported that the TTM fuel loop-style rail and injectors make the car a lot smoother too... If you are looking to do some modding it would be a good product to consider.

-G
Old 11-23-2011, 09:58 AM

e55
Thanks for the reply GregMB

I also seem to get some of the bucking issues you (and others) have described. It almost feels like I'm in a manual car with a learner driver and they don't know how to control the clutch properly.

What I aim to do is replace as much of the parts of the car as I can as it was neglected by the previous owner (all fluids, all filters, all belts, all plugs). Clean all the gunk out and get the injectors cleaned and see if it improves anything.

I also did the 'sneaky ecu reset' which feels like it may have helped a bit as I assume the car has adjusted itself to the previous owners driving style. But I think a full-on ECU reset would definitely be needed after performing all of the above ^

Anyway I shall wait and see if anyone has any further pointers for the DIY's I want to perform
Old 11-23-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
E63s s213 2019 ,SOLD E63 Weistec, E55, C36
Hi Jim, welcome from the UK, we`ve spoken on mbclub, so good to see you on here, if theres anything you need to know about the E55, its on here!

in from colchester so not too far if you are ever in the area!