W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weistec Engineering M113K Supercharger Upgrade...Progress

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Brooke- Your race ported heads would respond quite favorably in processing the extra boost that this supercharger will make. Next year for Texas Mile?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by gaspam
not looking to argue either... my main point originally is a 3.0L blower with good intercooler and fueling on a 5.5L motor should have no prob makinh 600hp....thats it

now will internals last forever?... who knows yet... if it doesnt then we rebuild.... this is why you see honda civic run in the 8s and 9s... because they are willing to try and fail and try again....

if cost of rebuild is a barrier to someone then they prob shouldnt be modding their car in first place
Rebuilding a AMG is not exactly the same as honda civic....... i want to mod my car but in a safe way. Still intend to keep it for 3 more years then the M5 TT
Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Hyper Pistons vs. Forged pistons both have one enemy, detonation.
This plus the LSA utilizes hypereutectic pistons as well and we've seen how much power they're making.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
Rebuilding a AMG is not exactly the same as honda civic....... i want to mod my car but in a safe way. Still intend to keep it for 3 more years then the M5 TT
generally people that own honda civics not quite same income level as people who own amg's either... so it works its way out... honda civic guy making 25K a year spending 2-3k to rebuild his engine kinda equal to amg guy making 100K per yr spending 10K to rebuild his engine ... both at 10% rebuild cost relative to income
Old 12-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by adianaty
I tend to agree. Let's not forget that up to a little over a year ago, everyone was running their injectors at 100% duty cycle. Now with the readily available injector and tuning options to go with them, I am not sure we have heard of a person blowing their stock motors with the stage III mods. I recognize that there isn't anyone that is really pushing 600whp right now, but let's face it, if you run out of fuel you will blow your motor...

It would be interesting to prove this somehow since it is a theory but I'm guessing a pretty relevant one.
Don't you think the piston would melt if you go lean? Not crack the ring lands? Just asking your opinion
Old 12-08-2011, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

generally people that own honda civics not quite same income level as people who own amg's either... so it works its way out... honda civic guy making 25K a year spending 2-3k to rebuild his engine kinda equal to amg guy making 100K per yr spending 10K to rebuild his engine ... both at 10% rebuild cost relative to income

I love both of my AMG and Yes i make more than $100K but $10K budget to spend per year in my car....... not me. Its the best timing for real state investment !
Old 12-08-2011, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CharlyE500
I love both of my AMG and Yes i make more than $100K but $10K budget to spend per year in my car....... not me. Its the best timing for real state investment !
lol i agree with you 100% on the real estate investment... opportunity cost of capital on any other legal investment just cant compete with real estate potential returns..

actually looking at condo in north miami beach for $21K next weekend seriously the time to buy in FL... is like 1980's pricing lol
Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Don't you think the piston would melt if you go lean? Not crack the ring lands? Just asking your opinion
blackbenzz - I think you have to look at it the other way which is why would the ring land break instead of shouldn't the piston melt first? There is two distinct problems with detonation. One is obviously heat, but the other is the jack hammer effect/impact which most call the pinging and what our knock sensors are listening for. The high impact nature of the detonation spike can cause fractures; it can break the spark plug electrodes, the porcelain around the plug, cause a clean fracture of the ring land and can actually cause fracture of valves-intake or exhaust. The piston ring land, either top or second depending on the piston design, is susceptible to fracture type failures. If I were to look at a piston with a second broken ring land, my immediate suspicion would be detonation. This is especially important with Hyper pistons since they are more brittle than forged pistons. I think CHawkins said it but you can go to forged pistons but if you are still detonating, they are going to break too, you will just have a bit more margin based on the material properties. We also have to give some credit to the AMG engineers since they built safety margin for the operating conditions the car is planned to be operated in. For example have you noticed that our rev limiter is not a fuel cut off like in most cars? Please understand this has been my experience from blowing up a number of non-AMG engines. Mostly motorcycles and mustangs with alot of boost and similar piston bore combos also with E85 which btw has the octane but you still can go lean and put enough timing into it to cause detonation.

One of my favorite references for pistons below. Look at page 21.

http://www.mahle.com/C12572E600480825/vwContentByUNID/999C385E8413A58EC125767E005C2CCA/$FILE/MAHLE%20Failure%20Manual.pdf

***Disclaimer - I don't want anybody to think I am trying to school a respected and pioneering member like blackbenzz given that I have seen many of his posts and he has clearly done alot for the community so please don't take my write up that way. I'm just trying to share my experience as painful as some of my own failures have been. Detonation sucks a$$ and it always ends up being the culprit of failures in a F/I motor.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol i agree with you 100% on the real estate investment... opportunity cost of capital on any other legal investment just cant compete with real estate potential returns..

actually looking at condo in north miami beach for $21K next weekend seriously the time to buy in FL... is like 1980's pricing lol

I know.... Miami price is crazy..... i hear the price for 2 bed condo about $75K. In California they are still $150k to $250k depend location but still very cheap compare to 2 years ago. The price might drop more in CA.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
blackbenzz - I think you have to look at it the other way which is why would the ring land break instead of shouldn't the piston melt first? There is two distinct problems with detonation. One is obviously heat, but the other is the jack hammer effect/impact which most call the pinging and what our knock sensors are listening for. The high impact nature of the detonation spike can cause fractures; it can break the spark plug electrodes, the porcelain around the plug, cause a clean fracture of the ring land and can actually cause fracture of valves-intake or exhaust. The piston ring land, either top or second depending on the piston design, is susceptible to fracture type failures. If I were to look at a piston with a second broken ring land, my immediate suspicion would be detonation. This is especially important with Hyper pistons since they are more brittle than forged pistons. I think CHawkins said it but you can go to forged pistons but if you are still detonating, they are going to break too, you will just have a bit more margin based on the material properties. We also have to give some credit to the AMG engineers since they built safety margin for the operating conditions the car is planned to be operated in. For example have you noticed that our rev limiter is not a fuel cut off like in most cars? Please understand this has been my experience from blowing up a number of non-AMG engines. Mostly motorcycles and mustangs with alot of boost and similar piston bore combos also with E85 which btw has the octane but you still can go lean and put enough timing into it to cause detonation.

http://www.mahle.com/C12572E600480825/vwContentByUNID/999C385E8413A58EC125767E005C2CCA/$FILE/MAHLE%20Failure%20Manual.pdf

***Disclaimer - I don't want anybody to think I am trying to school a respected and pioneering member like blackbenzz given that I have seen many of his posts and he has clearly done alot for the community so please don't take my write up that way. I'm just trying to share my experience as painful as some of my own failures have been. Detonation sucks a$$ and it always ends up being the culprit of failures in a F/I motor.
I'm agreeing with you. Its caused by detonation. Too much timing etc can all cause this. Thanks for your input (being serious)
Old 12-08-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

same thing happens to people with stock motors, many a cylinder #8 gone lean on stock cars documented... doesnt matter what pistons you have, if you go lean bad and detonation its gonna blow your motor... more of a fueling issue than piston design
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I'm agreeing with you. Its caused by detonation. Too much timing etc can all cause this. Thanks for your input (being serious)

funny, i said the same thing earlier and got backlash
Old 12-08-2011, 10:48 PM

E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Must be something the wife tortures me with all the frigging time. "it's not what you are saying but how you are saying it.". Since we all agree and in the spirit of getting back on topic, let's hope Weistec can get this done in a way that's safe for our Hyper pistons, reasonably priced, while making some decent power. I.e. we all want the holy grail so let's hope they deliver!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:59 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
not a nickel under 10k for sure.

im also assuming the top mounts wouldnt work with this kit either so i cant imagine anyone buying one and ditching for the other. a lot of people sitting on the sidelines for these 2 projects to see which is the best bang for the buck.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Must be something the wife tortures me with all the frigging time. "it's not what you are saying but how you are saying it.". Since we all agree and in the spirit of getting back on topic, let's hope Weistec can get this done in a way that's safe for our Hyper pistons, reasonably priced, while making some decent power. I.e. we all want the holy grail so let's hope they deliver!
lol my wife used to do the same... now shes my ex-wife
Old 12-09-2011, 02:05 AM

2007 CLS55
The Weistec intercooler is not under the supercharger like the stock unit, it is inside the lower manifold and suspended within moving air. The only part of the stock cooling system retained is the pump and heat exchanger, which many people including myself have already upgraded. The problem with the stock intercooler, or even top mounts is all the external surface area of the intercooler core that is directly next to heat sources. This extended length of piping the air must flow through also provides more surface area for engine heat to transfer into the charge. All that volume needs to be filled and pressurized before boost enters the cylinder. Weistec has put the engineering into their systems. Thermodynamics have obviously been a focus with their designs, designs which are text book or better. Can't wait to see them put down big reliable numbers this system.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by gaspasm;
you should see 600whp without issue...... stock internals should be fine
The statement above is why you got backlash.

Cast pistons can only hold so much power, if they were as good as forged why would anyone switch? Cast pistons also give you much less leeway in terms of detonation. Hyperutectic pistons are well known to crack under little detonation. I agree that cracked ringlands are due to detonation but not necessarily due to going lean. Too much timing which in turn caues too high cylinder pressures/heat can do this. That's my opinion, you are entitled to yours.

Back on topic
Old 12-09-2011, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
I'm more interested in how it will sound, I just hope it won't whine very loud or like a Stang with a Kenne Bell, don't get me wrong I love them but I hope it still sounds the same. I know it's a bigger unit but imagine it sounding like an MTM RS4 which IMO is a little annoying.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05

Great manual, reminds me of drilling bits failure presentations analysis that we had in our directional drilling courses

Thanx a lot, interesting.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 AM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
Weistec- Thank you for supporting the platform! Very exciting news.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Thinking a reliable source for forged pistons will be in short order. I plan on pulling my motor early next year just for S&G and go through it. Might as well put in some rods and pistons while at it. Cast will only take us so far.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Originally Posted by BRIZZOK84
The blower looks very similar to a kenny bell type blower. What size it the unit? IT would be crazy if you could put a 4.0L blower on a 55. then you can make 850 + wrhp.
When you say Kenny Bell you mean Whipple right? Because I am pretty sure that these are Whipple superchargers rebranded with Weistec on them and the rotors are made by Lysholm. I have heard that the guys from Weistec have done work for Whipple in the past and they are located pretty close together in Southern California so it also makes sense. Now just hope on the cheaper E55 they get "Whipple like" pricing with only a small Benz tax.

Last edited by urbamworm; 12-23-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
I use Whipple and Rotrex superchargers in my kits.

I asked about the superchargers used in the E63 kits and was told that Weistec bought a bunch of left over Lyshlom supercharger from before the Paxton purchase. Whipple makes their own supercharger and Rotors. They were paying a license fee to Lyshlom, but that contract has expired a while ago.

I do not know what they are using in the E55 system.

G
Old 12-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
turbo kits for audi B5 S4's go from $7k to $20K an most audi b5 s4's sell for about $5-10K .. same thing for e39 bmw m3's going for $13-15k while vortech stage 2 s/c kits cost $10K and see a plenty of guys doing it, so i dont think cost of the product relative to the car stops gear heads from buying them... look at honda civics as prime example
E46M3 kits are selling for 4,500 to like 8 or 9k. At 15k you start talking HPF turbo kits and then you are talking 800hp+
Old 12-23-2011, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Kenne Bell....not kenny bell.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Whipple and kenne belle are completely two different company's. Kenne belle blowers are way more advanced.

Originally Posted by urbamworm
When you say Kenny Bell you mean Whipple right? Because I am pretty sure that these are Whipple superchargers rebranded with Weistec on them and the rotors are made by Lysholm. I have heard that the guys from Weistec have done work for Whipple in the past and they are located pretty close together in Southern California so it also makes sense. Now just hope on the cheaper E55 they get "Whipple like" pricing with only a small Benz tax.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Weistec Engineering M113K Supercharger Upgrade...Progress