Sponsored by:

Tips on purchasing a 2003+ E55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 E55 AMG - '06 300C SRT8 - '93 240SX Coupe w/1JZ-GTE
Tips on purchasing a 2003+ E55 AMG

Hello all, this is my first post here and hopefully not the last. I am looking to purchase a 2003 or later E55 in the coming weeks.

I am mostly looking at some on autotrader/craigslist that are under the $20,000 mark, as I may need to pay cash. But I know, "you get what you pay for", so I want to be cautious first and who else is better to ask than you guys. Some questions I have that you could hopefully help me with:

- If I am buying from a private owner, what type of questions should I ask about the car? Like costly maintenance that a 80,000 - 100,000 mile E55 will soon need or should have been done already.

- Is there a best place to purchase an aftermarket warranty? I don't want to be spending $8,000 when the suspension or something fails. So I'm hoping I can get a bumber to bumper warranty somewhere for $2000-$3000. Are there any requirements to qualify for the warranty that I should look out for?

- Any other reason you think it would be a bad idea to purchase one of the E55's that are around $16-$17,000 over the ones that are in the mid $20,000's?

If there is a thread on here that answers things like this I'm sorry I tried looking first.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSX, C350
I am new to this forum as well and been searching for e55 for the past couple months and there are many threads discussing what to look for when purchasing e55 and what are the most common problems?
Based on the information I have read in the past couple months, the most common problems with E55 are:
1- Supercharger pulley/clutch bearing failure. If detected early, very easy and cheap to fix, but will need to change the whole pulley if left unnoticed which can cost you about $600
2- IC pump failure. This shuts down the supercharger after couple strong runs. Easy to fix as well cost about 700 with replacing H/E as well.
3- Airmatic failure which can be expensive and can fail anytime and cost about 500 a piece w/o installation.
4- Fuel Pump leak. Many e55’s have this problem and some say it is easy fix but others still have problems.
5- Due to the high tq these cars have, motor mounts and possibly trans mounts fail regularly.
6- If the car has dynamic seats, the motor tend to fail.

There are other problems, some costing a lot to fix like transmission failure but they are not as common. I don’t think high mileage would be an issue as long as all the maintenance has been done on time and you got to remember although these cars are cheap now, they are still AMG cars with high original price tag and high price parts.

Before you buy take the car, get PPI which cost about $250 and that will tell you extacly the condition of the car. A good warranty cost about 3-4K and I don’t think you can find a good company that covers many parts around 2k. I have searched for warranty before I make a move and buy e55 and found some companies give you a very high quote for high mileage e55 (03-04 with 70,xxx or higher). I think if you can work on cars yourself, warranty isn’t that necessary as most of the stuff are easy to do and there are many DIY available here on the forum.

Hope the Info helps!

Last edited by Aero Z; 01-04-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Aero Z
I am new to this forum as well and been searching for e55 for the past couple months and there are many threads discussing what to look for when purchasing e55 and what are the most common problems?
Based on the information I have read in the past couple months, the most common problems with E55 are:
1- Supercharger pulley/clutch bearing failure. If detected early, very easy and cheap to fix, but will need to change the whole pulley if left unnoticed which can cost you about $600
2- IC pump failure. This shuts down the supercharger after couple strong runs. Easy to fix as well cost about 700 with replacing H/E as well.
3- Airmatic failure which can be expensive and can fail anytime and cost about 500 a piece w/o installation.
4- Fuel Pump leak. Many e55’s have this problem and some say it is easy fix but others still have problems.
5- Due to the high tq these cars have, motor mounts and possibly trans mounts fail regularly.

There are other problems, some costing a lot to fix like transmission failure but they are not as common. I don’t think high mileage would be an issue as long as all the maintenance has been done on time and you got to remember although these cars are cheap now, they are still AMG cars with high original price tag and high price parts.

Before you buy take the car, get PPI which cost about $250 and that will tell you extacly the condition of the car. A good warranty cost about 3-4K and I don’t think you can find a good company that covers many parts around 2k. I have searched for warranty before I make a move and buy e55 and found some companies give you a very high quote for high mileage e55 (03-04 with 70,xxx or higher). I think if you can work on cars yourself, warranty isn’t that necessary as most of the stuff are easy to do and there are many DIY available here on the forum.

Hope the Info helps!
+1 for the new NEW guy
Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 PM

Hope the Info helps!
That is some great detailed info thank you!

I don't mind paying a $700 repair bill every now and then, and I like to work on cars (although I've never worked on anything like an AMG Mercedes), but I have heard of the suspension going on these cars and it costing around $8,000? That's something I don't want to get stuck with.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by Jakez
That is some great detailed info thank you!

I don't mind paying a $700 repair bill every now and then, and I like to work on cars (although I've never worked on anything like an AMG Mercedes), but I have heard of the suspension going on these cars and it costing around $8,000? That's something I don't want to get stuck with.
I had both my rear air matics on my E500 replaced at dealer for 3k with out warranty, not 8k( same as E55). Fronts are a little cheaper, but like I said, I did it at the STEALERSHIP. Have a MB Tech check for leaks, or ask the seller if he had them replaced. Good luck to you in your search.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The game changer for AirMatic failures is the option to replace with a conventional coil over suspension now. Arnott Industries is reportedly coming out with a complete retrofit kit in March 2012.... Not sure what the price will be, but if I had an out-of-warranty AirMatic failure I'd seriously consider swapping out the entire system for steel suspension.

-G
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any car you find make sure you bring it to the nearest authorized Benz dealer for a full pe-purchase inspection. Do not skip this no matter what you are told, this is the cheapest insurance policy you'll ever get.

I buy over 20 AMG cars a year, but look at 40+, and half of those get thrown back in the pond for one reason or another, usually due to poor PPI results.

Make sure to run carfax and autocheck, and to get PPI shop to do basic cosmetic inspection (paint/body, frame, unibody, etc) to make sure it's in good shape there as well. Nothing worse than buying a car and in a year the clearcoat is peeling because you did not know one side was repainted.

As far as warranties, 2004 will be OK, 2003 is very difficult to get full coverage on since it's 2012 and the car is considered 9 years old according to warranty company calendars. Usually they'll go back 7 years for full coverage. Try to stay under 70K miles to qualify for full coverage.

No way will you get a good company to give you an exclusionary warranty on a higher mile E55 for $2K or even $3K. Plan to spend $4K+ for 3 or 4 years, with term and price based on mileage of car.

I think the E55 has ABC suspension, which is more problematic and expensive to repair than airmatic. So a warranty that covers the ABC system is important, and only the top level plans do. Look at it this way....if you spend $17K on a car that does not qualify for top level coverage, and then spend $3K in ABC repairs, you could have spent $20K on a lower mile car that would have qualified and wound up in a better place.

Good luck! If you need help finding a car or warranty feel free to email me at brucem105@comcast.net.

Bruce
Old 01-05-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
To the OP: The best way to gain knowledge on these cars is to read the 211 AMG forum. Just go straight to the forum from the homepage and read every thread that sounds interesting. Go back as far in time as you care to. Eventually, all the questions/concerns/issues will start to sound the same...that's when your education is complete. The items posted are good as far as they go, no disagreements there.

My input - stay away from modified/tuned cars. The E55 engine and transmission are quite solid, only modified cars blow up in specatcular (and very expensive) ways.

Let me correct a statement Bruce made - the E55 has airmatic suspension, not ABC. It costs about $3K to replace both rear struts (about $2K for one), and $1K-$1.5K fro front struts, depending on whether you use OEM or remanufactured parts. The $8K number does not apply to the E class.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Shadow5501 - reading the forums is fine, but it sure would be nice for the veterans to put together a 'sticky' on the common things to look for and link them to pertinent forum posts

the current stickies are slated more toward experience owners not newbies - which is understandable due to the age of these cars...
Old 01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Front airmatic is $1200 per side + labor if going through dealer. $400 for Arnott rebuilt per side + labor. There is a DIY on here that works for fronts.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
I believe Arnott for both front airmatic cost about $1500 then $500 labor.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by novae500
Front airmatic is $1200 per side + labor if going through dealer. $400 for Arnott rebuilt per side + labor. There is a DIY on here that works for fronts.
WoW ! even cheaper than i expected. Only $800 for both and its lifetime warranty if i am no wrong.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Yes. You get charged $500 but return your core, $100 credit

RIGHT Front Airmatic Air Suspension Shock Assembly

Arnott is pleased to offer our completely rebuilt, OE right front air shock for the 2002-2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedan. Our shock features a new Goodyear air spring bladder along with a new CNC machined aluminum upper and lower piston. The price per shock at your local dealership is over $1500.00! Your price at Arnott is only $399.00, plus a refundable $100.00 core charge (prepaid return label included). Once again, our design is not only more efficient, but it’s also much more affordable! Each shock is covered under a lifetime warranty This is not for vehicles with 4MATIC
Old 01-05-2012, 02:57 PM

2010 C63
E-Class 2002-2009 (w211 w/airmatic, wo/4matic)
E-Class 2002-2009 (E55 AMG & E63 AMG)

Price: $399.00

Core Deposit: $100.00

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...18_pid127.html

Last edited by choppo; 01-05-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:44 PM

Well now I am leaning towards an e60 M5. Someone talk me out of it.

I have always loved the E55 but I don't like the exhaust sound or the fact that it's only available in automatic. Plus it's going to be hard for me to find a warranty if it has high mileage.

M5 sounds amazing (especially with exhaust) and I can get a manual. Newer year, less miles, easy to get a warranty. And only $4-5k more (insanity). Damn it I really can't decide. I've read up on the E55 so much and like it more but I think the M5 will be better for me it being more of a drivers car.

Last edited by Jakez; 01-21-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:03 PM

Magnum SRT8 + Magnum R/T
Well now I am leaning towards an e60 M5. Someone talk me out of it.

I have always loved the E55 but I don't like the exhaust sound or the fact that it's only available in automatic. Plus it's going to be hard for me to find a warranty if it has high mileage.

M5 sounds amazing (especially with exhaust) and I can get a manual. Newer year, less miles, easy to get a warranty. And only $4-5k more (insanity). Damn it I really can't decide. I've read up on the E55 so much and like it more but I think the M5 will be better for me it being more of a drivers car.
You won't find a decent E60 M5 for less than 30K unless it has really high miles so it's really $10k more for a car with similar miles (it will be newer, granted).

M5 REALLY needs a warranty - transmission horror stories if you read on the M5 forums. At least with the MB the most expensive parts (engine, transmission) are near bulletproof which is not the case with the M5.

Good luck either way. Tough choice.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by JarZ
You won't find a decent E60 M5 for less than 30K unless it has really high miles so it's really $10k more for a car with similar miles (it will be newer, granted).

M5 REALLY needs a warranty - transmission horror stories if you read on the M5 forums. At least with the MB the most expensive parts (engine, transmission) are near bulletproof which is not the case with the M5.

Good luck either way. Tough choice.
Is that the SMG transmission or manual, or both? What is the cost of these horror stories out of warranty? I figure I can own the E55 out of warranty and if something goes wrong it will cost about the same amount as a warranty on the M5 would.

There are many of them under 30k now with 80,000+ miles. All I know so far is that the clutch will go around 90k.

Thing is, I am a drag racer so that is why I prefer the E55 because of its torque and easy modding. But the M5 can be had in a manual transmission so

Last edited by Jakez; 01-21-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 PM

Magnum SRT8 + Magnum R/T
Is that the SMG transmission or manual, or both? What is the cost of these horror stories out of warranty?

There are many of them under 30k now with 80,000+ miles. I'll definitely be shopping a warranty.

Thing is, I am a drag racer so that is why I prefer the E55 because of its torque and easy modding. But the M5 can be had in a manual transmission so
This is with the SMG. I don't believe the manual has any of those issues. Yeah at the track the E55 will benefit from the TQ and it's cheaper to mod compared to the M5 (pulley/tune for nice gains). HP gains are harder and more expensive to come by on the N/A V10.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:09 AM

e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
get someone with star to pull the event log

you will know EVERYTHING about the car
Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 AM

NSX, C350
Comparing m5 vs e55 have been discussed alot. If you looking for a more reliable car that is also fast, e55/e63 is the clear choice and it's cheaper to get warranty for them and insurance is cheaper as well. M5 is a great car if you looking for handling and supercar sounds, that v10 just sounds amazing.the m5 is more problematic with having common vanos,smg and idrive cost alottt to fix. Some warranty companies dont even cover m cars especialy 06 if it has more than 70k. I have heard stories on m5board that warranty companies totaling cars due to the cost of vanos failure. If you definitly getting m5 get the manual trans and be prepared to drop about 4500 on warranty!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Comparing m5 vs e55 have been discussed alot. If you looking for a more reliable car that is also fast, e55/e63 is the clear choice and it's cheaper to get warranty for them and insurance is cheaper as well. M5 is a great car if you looking for handling and supercar sounds, that v10 just sounds amazing.the m5 is more problematic with having common vanos,smg and idrive cost alottt to fix. Some warranty companies dont even cover m cars especialy 06 if it has more than 70k. I have heard stories on m5board that warranty companies totaling cars due to the cost of vanos failure. If you definitly getting m5 get the manual trans and be prepared to drop about 4500 on warranty!
You're on target. The E55 needs a warranty; even going with Arnott, repairs add up and there are lots of other problems like leaking seals/gaskets, dynamic seats, COMAND nav, etc. Nothing horrendous, but over 3-4 years the repairs can easily total as much or more than the warranty, so you may as well get the warranty and protect yourself in case something big DOES let go.

I have well over 75 E60 M5/M6's covered under warranties I've sold. The claims are unreal, and they make the AMG Benzes look like Hondas. VANOS is $8K+, SMG pump is $7K+, iDrive is $3K, and then there are other problems that are NOT cheap. I would not own an E60 M-car without a warranty in a million years.

Very few have gone to full term on their extended warranties, unlike some of the W211 AMGs. But I can tell you that the average loss ratio on an E55 with an exclusionary plan is approaching 80% (meaning the average car will pay out 80% of its premium in claims), but the E60 M-car is projected to top 100%. Once a car tops 100%, it gets dropped or surcharged. I just saw a $32K engine payout on one of them....talk about getting your money's worth on a $4K warranty!

Bruce
Old 01-23-2012, 03:10 AM

2000 mercedes benz s430
E60 m5 under 30k very few out there. The bmw's have lots of problems way more then mbz but i love those car's. Personally i would go for e55 for under 20k best car for the money and easy car to make Lot's of power
Old 01-23-2012, 07:43 AM

03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Originally Posted by Shadow5501
My input - stay away from modified/tuned cars. The E55 engine and transmission are quite solid, only modified cars blow up in specatcular (and very expensive) ways.
This is wrong! Modified car usually has more risk, but car can fail regardless. Air mastic, crank position sensor, vale cover leak, trans o ring leak, supercharge bearing, idleler pulleys, on and on, fail regardless modded or not. I tend to look for a modded car so I don't have to re-mod or can spend time and/or $ on other mods lol. I believe less than 1% people (may be 5%) in this forum have 0 mod!

And believe me or not, those mod the car usually know more about the car and often take better care the car then those don't mod.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Originally Posted by CLKCLK
This is wrong! Modified car usually has more risk, but car can fail regardless. Air mastic, crank position sensor, vale cover leak, trans o ring leak, supercharge bearing, idleler pulleys, on and on, fail regardless modded or not. I tend to look for a modded car so I don't have to re-mod or can spend time and/or $ on other mods lol. I believe less than 1% people (may be 5%) in this forum have 0 mod!

And believe me or not, those mod the car usually know more about the car and often take better care the car then those don't mod.
No it's not wrong. I'm talking about melting piston #8 and facing a $10K+ expense to rebuild the engine. Several engines around these virtual parts have let go, all have been modified. I cannot recall any stock engine that suffered that kind of mechanical failure.

I was not referring to routine mechanical repairs like the ones you reference.

I expect modified cars have seen much more full throttle & redline than stock cars. I'll take stock anyday.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG
Hey guys. I am knew to this forum as wel as to my 2004 E55 amg.
I just got it and 2 days later I heard a noise from the compressor. It was a pulley making a sound. I'm not sure what's the proper name for this pulley, but my mechanic told me that this pulley isn't sold by itself. Either it goes with a kit which is 1500$, or I can buy a used compressor for around 1000$. Not sure whether he is lying or not.
He also told me that it needs a transmission tune up (200$)...
BRAKE sensor is ON but my brakes are still good. That to fix is around 300$.
Need ru help guys, can't trust no one these days...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tips on purchasing a 2003+ E55 AMG