Smoking a little the other night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
Smoking a little the other night

Thought that would get some attention .

This past weekend I had a S2000 that kept screwing with me and lined up behind me at a red light. When the light turned green I took off pretty quick for about a second or two and then kicked down on it WOT. I looked in my rear view mirror after a few seconds and there was what appeared to be a light-medium cloud of smoke behind me visible through the headlights from the cars behind me. Is this something I should be worried about?
It was at night and there was a great deal of moisture in the air, which is pretty common on the gulf coast, and there were patches of light fog in the area. It hasn't been running bad before or after and I've put a couple of hundred miles on it since then. The only other time I've seen anything like that out of it before was one time I looked in the rear view and seen a bunch of smoke, pulled over and it stopped. Hasn't happened again since and I've put several thousand miles on it since then. Really weird.
Just wondering if it could be from the coastal humidity/moisture getting sucked up into the intake, particularly at the large volumes a supercharger sucks in and then it gets hot and come out the exhaust or maybe since the cars run so rich and I rarely ever run WOT for very long, due to traffis etc, if it's just blowing out the accumulated **** in the exhaust.
I'd appreciate any thoughts or explanations you pros can give.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
E55's Kompressor can alter the molecules of the air compressing them in such a fashion that simulates a warp drive on a star ship. The result is a misty, blurry plume that envelops the car as the car forces it's way out of the cloud. Really normal in my opinion for our cars.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 PM

2005 E55 amg
^^ haha or maybe your traction control isn't working very well
Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 AM

2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
Hotrod--thanks for the response. Being this is my first SC car I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. So your car does the same?
SVT--thanks but definitely not the tires now that she has new KDW II's. LOVE those tires. BIG thank you to Craig for the recommendation.

Would love to hear from some other members, particularly in humid areas such as the coast, to see if they experience the same.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by jddumas; 01-11-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-11-2012, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
This is normal for our cars, you are fine as long as it is not a plume of WHITE smoke!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by Hotrod-Realtor
E55's Kompressor can alter the molecules of the air compressing them in such a fashion that simulates a warp drive on a star ship. The result is a misty, blurry plume that envelops the car as the car forces it's way out of the cloud. Really normal in my opinion for our cars.
Hey Warren, how is the old girl! Running good?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 PM

CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Originally Posted by emoving
Hey Warren, how is the old girl! Running good?
Knocking on wood...flawless. I put an IC pump, oil change and lots of gas so far. I think I got a good one.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 AM

2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
Originally Posted by FASN8N
This is normal for our cars, you are fine as long as it is not a plume of WHITE smoke!
Thanks for taking the time to respond bro. Wasn't a big plume but certainly visible and scary. She's still running strong and hasn't done it since that I can tell.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by jddumas
Thanks for taking the time to respond bro. Wasn't a big plume but certainly visible and scary. She's still running strong and hasn't done it since that I can tell.
Drive in heavy rain or flooding recently?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 AM

2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
Originally Posted by BenzoDoc
Drive in heavy rain or flooding recently?
No flooding but rain is always an issue down here. Nothing out of the ordinary though.
I checked the oil filler cap and radiator reservoir and nothing unusual there. Plus I've done some short WOT bursts during the day and no smoke. In all honesty though I don't think I would have noticed it over the weekend had it not been for having cars behind me with headlights on. Now the other time I mentioned, where there was a bunch of smoke, it was during the day but has never happened since, not even on a dyno, and I have put several thousand miles on it since then. Only thing I could figure then was maybe got water in the exhaust when thoroughly cleaning my exhaust tips and it got hot and turned into vapor. Same could have happened again but with less water this time. Puzzling.
Thanks for the response BenzoDoc and any additional thoughts would be very much appreciated!