Aftermarket warranty worked out well...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Current 2014 Maserati Quattroporte and 2017 GLE 63 AMG retired 2007 E63 AMG
Aftermarket warranty worked out well...

Hey all,
So i bought the NAC pinnacle coverage on '07 E63 with about 36,000 miles. Most posts i saw while researching didnt mention numbers but i am affiliated with no one and want to share real numbers for anyone looking for info.

I paid little more than $3k for 4 yrs and 40k additional miles. Finally put it to use yesterday and it worked out just fine. Altho i now know this mechanic charges up the wazooo and i will be discussing this with him if he wants me to be a return customer. Alas, he came recommended for quality so i dont mind paying him this time to see how it works out.

On to the details. I am having the regular service done and brakes, all due me.
Due the warranty company are the right and left thrust arm bushings, which you all know mean the whole control arm. And motor mounts.

They are charging me 204 and 206 dollars for the control arms which NAC covers up to 200 max. So another 12 bucks due me. And the labor for the mounts and struts they are charging me at 134/hr. NAC covers up to 110/hr max. So i pick up a few extra bucks there too. NAC also reimburses you $35 a day for a rental per 8 charged hours on your car..but this guy gives me a free loaner so i am not going to find out how that process works.

All that plus the 100 dollar deductible and my $3k warranty just paid out $1400 in repairs on the first visit. Pretty darn good IMO. Lets hope it never has to be used again but chances are pretty well in my favor this thing will pay for itself and then some beyond the peace of mind.

BTW i did ask the admin how it was dealing with NAC and she said they were great.. called her back within 30 mins and authorized payment in about 5.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 e55, 2005 S55
Good deal, my warranty is good up to 100k or 5 years I paid $2800. So far I have had them replace : gas tank,both fuel sending units,fuel rail seals,motor mounts,steering wheel controls,and one other item.....grand total $5870.......... I paid only $76 for all. These warranties are worth it
Old 01-19-2012, 02:48 PM

2010 C63
Nice to fear that as I have the NAC warranty as well.
RBM honers it so I am good to go.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by firstbenzforme
Hey all,
So i bought the NAC pinnacle coverage on '07 E63 with about 36,000 miles. Most posts i saw while researching didnt mention numbers but i am affiliated with no one and want to share real numbers for anyone looking for info.

I paid little more than $3k for 4 yrs and 40k additional miles. Finally put it to use yesterday and it worked out just fine. Altho i now know this mechanic charges up the wazooo and i will be discussing this with him if he wants me to be a return customer. Alas, he came recommended for quality so i dont mind paying him this time to see how it works out.

On to the details. I am having the regular service done and brakes, all due me.
Due the warranty company are the right and left thrust arm bushings, which you all know mean the whole control arm. And motor mounts.

They are charging me 204 and 206 dollars for the control arms which NAC covers up to 200 max. So another 12 bucks due me. And the labor for the mounts and struts they are charging me at 134/hr. NAC covers up to 110/hr max. So i pick up a few extra bucks there too. NAC also reimburses you $35 a day for a rental per 8 charged hours on your car..but this guy gives me a free loaner so i am not going to find out how that process works.

All that plus the 100 dollar deductible and my $3k warranty just paid out $1400 in repairs on the first visit. Pretty darn good IMO. Lets hope it never has to be used again but chances are pretty well in my favor this thing will pay for itself and then some beyond the peace of mind.

BTW i did ask the admin how it was dealing with NAC and she said they were great.. called her back within 30 mins and authorized payment in about 5.
Did you get it from me? I hope so. That's pretty much my experience too.

Just FYI, NAC does not have any hard caps on part prices or labor rates. But they do go by 'reasonable and customary'. So if three other dealers in your area charge $110 per hour, and your dealer charges $134, they are going to ask for a reduction, ask you to pay the difference, or ask you to bring your car to a shop nearby that charges the usual $110. They're not being difficult, but they, like you, do not want to get overcharged for no good reason.

Glad to hear overall it worked out well. I have to tell you, you will be using it again with an E63, and you'll be very happy you are covered by NAC. $1400 is nothing for a claim on that car!

Bruce
Old 01-19-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by dunwoodydtailr
Good deal, my warranty is good up to 100k or 5 years I paid $2800. So far I have had them replace : gas tank,both fuel sending units,fuel rail seals,motor mounts,steering wheel controls,and one other item.....grand total $5870.......... I paid only $76 for all. These warranties are worth it

Wow, i got a good deal..yours is stellar. Which company?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM

bruce-
i ended up buying away from anyone on this site but thanks for the info
Old 01-19-2012, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Becks Imports
Just FYI, NAC does not have any hard caps on part prices or labor rates. But they do go by 'reasonable and customary'. So if three other dealers in your area charge $110 per hour, and your dealer charges $134, they are going to ask for a reduction, ask you to pay the difference, or ask you to bring your car to a shop nearby that charges the usual $110. They're not being difficult, but they, like you, do not want to get overcharged for no good reason.

Bruce

Interesting. My dealer said that the NAC rep was only willing to pay the MBZ "warranty" hours and costs vs. standard book rates.

I'm sure that I'm not using the correct terminology; but apparently when the dealership does warranty work on a new car, they are re-imbursed by Mercedes-Benz corporate but only up to a certain amount (usually below the standard rates the dealership would charge for non-warranty work on the same repair). According to what my SA told me, NAC does a similar thing to them when they call to get my authorizations..... NAC will agree to the repairs but they always seem to authorize less than the total labor charge and parts costs. They have some other "book" that tells them how long things should take and it never matches the dealership estimate.

Up to now, I haven't really put up much of a fight because like the OP my NAC Pinnacle plan has covered a LOT of expenses already, and it's clear that over the life of the warranty (another 3 years) it will have easily paid for itself.

I guess if I get a serious failure (AirMatic) and NAC tries to hold back something like $1000 in parts/labor I might be more motivated to press the issue with them.

-G
Old 01-19-2012, 04:23 PM

Showcar
Which NAC plan do you have?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by leojang
Which NAC plan do you have?
NAC "Pinnacle"

My understanding is that is the best plan they offer...

-G
Old 01-19-2012, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
i just bought the pinnacle plan from bruce for my car. haven't had a chance to use it yet, but i read over the contract. there are no limits for labour rates or part prices, not sure where ur rep got the 110/hr and the 200/control arm limits. But if they work like Bruce says, they take comparable prices in your area and go from that. It was my understanding that NAC only wanted authorized dealers doing repairs? is that not the case?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
This part stands out to me

Originally Posted by dunwoodydtailr
.........fuel rail seals,....
Whats this part/where is this part located dunwoodydtailr?

Can't go wrong with a warranty on these 211s
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 911 C4, 2008 P2 E63 AMG (gone but not forgotten), 2007 SL65 Renntech
Can you buy the warranty after you have bought the car?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by aeroman
Can you buy the warranty after you have bought the car?
yes, you have to get an inspection done for the warranty company - fix anything needing fixing, then they'll cover you (or cover everything that isn't already broken)