Sponsored by:

What would you pay for this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FBO 2005 E55 w/ LSD
What would you pay for this?

05' White w/ Pano, keyless go, parktronic, distronic, 71k miles. its got a few more thousand miles than I like but I dont see white coming up all that often. So this is a 2 part questions. Would you advise an AMG car with this type of mileage? I would definitely get a PPI before hand but im still weary of buying an AMG car with so many miles. They say they offer extended warranties so I will try and work that in the deal too if possible.

What do you guys suggest? What kind of price point or should I steer clear and wait for a lower mileage one?

Josh

Last edited by iLLuZioNz; 01-20-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Def get PPI, and any service history. Mileage high, but right maintenance done should be okay.

Def look at rear main seal leak, valve cover leak, airmatic struts replaced before?

Pricing, low mid $20s
Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 PM

E500
white with pano's are hard to come by and yes PPI and service history would be good to know.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:54 PM

FBO 2005 E55 w/ LSD
What about warranty? I imagine the premium vs shoddy coverage on such a high miles 05 would hardly be worth it. I worry about buying one without warranty but I guess it's kind of like anything else. Sure there are a lot of E55 owners here but by no means are they all registered. Of course u usually only hear the horror stories. It's like when u have a bad experience with something you tell 10 people but u may only tell one person if u have a good experience.

If Craig can hook it up at BIP, and me being slightly handy with a wrench (plus plenty buddies who are) I think I'll be straight without a warranty. As long as there is a DIY I'm good to go haha!

Last edited by iLLuZioNz; 01-20-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 PM

E55 AMG
My 55 is an 03 and she has just clicked over to 80 000k's (not sure what that is in miles) if the car is serviced right and well maintained you won't have a promblem.

You will have normal wear and tear items that will need replacing but an extended warrenty should sort that out.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
My 06 E55 has already 85K no issue at all. Just changed the plugs, valve cover gasket seal, both belts. I would not pay for Ext warranty because might be cheaper if you fix it than warranty itself. Ext warranty for AMG not cheap about $3k to $4k. You can actually do a lot of service and repairs with indy shop. Even you have ext warranty, you still have to pay for service. I still don't see a point of paying high $$$ for warranty. As long you don't go crazy mod and blow your engine, you should be OK without the warranty. For the White with Pano 05 i think still worth $25K to $27K depend on condition. 40k miles car can has the same problem as 70k miles car as long the car is well taken care. Get PPI, carfax.
At 70K i recommend to do all the service, tranny, air filter, brake flush, radiator flush, plugs, differential flush, belt change..... might cost you about $1k to start but will keep her in good shape.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
I am not convinced warranties make much of a difference any more. With the cost of them @ 3-5K, versus what might go wrong I don't see it. Really the biggest expense that might be covered by warranty is the airmatic. @ $500 a strut for Arnott's , you'd have to replace them serveral times before it's even close to the cost. Look at some of the things you're likley to replace on the car of that age

Motor Mounts- $250-300 installed
CPS- $70 ten minute- self install
Valve cover gasket- $200 self install
Lower Control arms; -$400 installed
Airmatic- $650 a side installed

Everything else the car is likely to need is probably a consumable or maintanance.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Around 25K.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KLR CLS
I am not convinced warranties make much of a difference any more. With the cost of them @ 3-5K, versus what might go wrong I don't see it. Really the biggest expense that might be covered by warranty is the airmatic. @ $500 a strut for Arnott's , you'd have to replace them serveral times before it's even close to the cost. Look at some of the things you're likley to replace on the car of that age

Motor Mounts- $250-300 installed
CPS- $70 ten minute- self install
Valve cover gasket- $200 self install
Lower Control arms; -$400 installed
Airmatic- $650 a side installed

Everything else the car is likely to need is probably a consumable or maintanance.
+1 on warranty. I paid $3k and not even use it once. It will expire in few months....... damn....... the parts for this car are getting lower cost so no really need warranty. In other countries E55 05 still going for $50K + so enjoy what we are driving.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Show them that beast you sent me last night off ebay, that sir, is a sick car. I would love to have that color.....
Old 01-20-2012, 01:50 PM

FBO 2005 E55 w/ LSD
Issues with that one I found out after I texted you, you night owl! I was going to give you a call this morning but then realized you sent that at like 3AM so I was like "damn, i better let him sleep!"

It was great bc it had only 15k miles but 2 owners in that time, its been modded since 05 for its entire life and had no MB Maintenance records at all. Oh and it had an accident in late 2010 and the owner couldnt tell me the extent of the damage.

What do you think of this little white child Craig?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:05 PM

FBO 2005 E55 w/ LSD
Damnit... is it that hard to find one of these damned things with no stories?

http://www.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/show...48006&mode=a_c

This cracker is getting discouraged... about to just go buy a Prius!...

Last edited by iLLuZioNz; 01-20-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
+1 on warranty. I paid $3k and not even use it once. It will expire in few months....... damn....... the parts for this car are getting lower cost so no really need warranty. In other countries E55 05 still going for $50K + so enjoy what we are driving.
Your story could have totally gone the other way, though. I paid $4k for a 4yr/60k warranty on my '04 with 38k miles. In three months, on my first service, it's already paid out $1,500. Granted that's dealership prices.. just sayin'!

The price for peace of mind has been totally worth it, for me.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Warranty is on a case by case basis at this point in my opinion. If you have tools and some knowledge on working on cars a warranty may not be a good idea for you if your willing to spend some time doing the work yourself.

If you don't have much or any mechanical experience I'd get the warranty unless you have a local shop that knows these cars that will do the work for a fair price. I think its kinda at the tipping point of if its worth geting a warranty or not for a lot of people right now.

Cars are old enough that we know what the typical issues are already. The really expensive parts are very reliable it seems.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Here's my .02. Well when i bought my E55 back in 2010 Dec, i bought an Easycare warranty 4yr /48k miles for $5000. In March 2010, i smelled burned oil whenever the car was parked and gas smell when tank was full.

With the search functions confirming common issues with W211, fuel sending unit and valve covers, i called in for a complain. Easycare gave me a hard time saying how can 1500miles of ownership you have valve cover leak and fuel smell issues. Must be prexisting. I had to show proof of PPI from the dealership that they inspected the car and didnt ahve these conditions, which they didnt.

Easycare only covered the valve covers and denied the fuel sending unit, since they interpreted it as a fuel filter which is a wear/tear item. So i had to foot the $956 bill to fix the FSU Driver side. Shortly after i cancelled and got back $4400 check. Valve covers cost $530 to fix at dealer but they covered it. So i got majority of my $$$. Have it in a rainy day fund for future fixes.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by iLLuZioNz
Issues with that one I found out after I texted you, you night owl! I was going to give you a call this morning but then realized you sent that at like 3AM so I was like "damn, i better let him sleep!"

It was great bc it had only 15k miles but 2 owners in that time, its been modded since 05 for its entire life and had no MB Maintenance records at all. Oh and it had an accident in late 2010 and the owner couldnt tell me the extent of the damage.

What do you think of this little white child Craig?
Sleeping is over rated Since I had my 4 and 2 yr old kids, my sleep pattern has never been the same.

Every car looks great from the start until you do some digging, then the nasty little issues rear the head. After a while of searching, you brace yourself and think, when are the stories going to crop up

Then, one day you find the perfect beast, and it is love at first sight, keep searching homey, and you will find your lady
Old 01-20-2012, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by iLLuZioNz
What about warranty? I imagine the premium vs shoddy coverage on such a high miles 05 would hardly be worth it. I worry about buying one without warranty but I guess it's kind of like anything else. Sure there are a lot of E55 owners here but by no means are they all registered. Of course u usually only hear the horror stories. It's like when u have a bad experience with something you tell 10 people but u may only tell one person if u have a good experience.

If Craig can hook it up at BIP, and me being slightly handy with a wrench (plus plenty buddies who are) I think I'll be straight without a warranty. As long as there is a DIY I'm good to go haha!
I will get you taken care of with BIP, and Adam at Malones Automotive here in Marietta is also a great guy to know. He has a Cl65 AMG, and is a true gear head like us that is very knowledgable. We are all going to be at BIP on 2/11 for their open house, hopefully you will have your lady by then and can bring her by
Old 01-20-2012, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jay_55
My 55 is an 03 and she has just clicked over to 80 000k's (not sure what that is in miles) if the car is serviced right and well maintained you won't have a promblem.

You will have normal wear and tear items that will need replacing but an extended warrenty should sort that out.
That is 60K miles, to convert km to mi, you multiply by 6 and divide by 8. To convert mi to km, you multiply by 8 and divide by 6-
Old 01-20-2012, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by novae500
Here's my .02. Well when i bought my E55 back in 2010 Dec, i bought an Easycare warranty 4yr /48k miles for $5000. In March 2010, i smelled burned oil whenever the car was parked and gas smell when tank was full.

With the search functions confirming common issues with W211, fuel sending unit and valve covers, i called in for a complain. Easycare gave me a hard time saying how can 1500miles of ownership you have valve cover leak and fuel smell issues. Must be prexisting. I had to show proof of PPI from the dealership that they inspected the car and didnt ahve these conditions, which they didnt.

Easycare only covered the valve covers and denied the fuel sending unit, since they interpreted it as a fuel filter which is a wear/tear item. So i had to foot the $956 bill to fix the FSU Driver side. Shortly after i cancelled and got back $4400 check. Valve covers cost $530 to fix at dealer but they covered it. So i got majority of my $$$. Have it in a rainy day fund for future fixes.
Same thing happen to me but I didn't cancel the contract because too busy. Chrysler asked me to go to the dealer..... i had no time. Anyways, they sometimes give you hard time so every decision is base on them NOT YOU. So I rather have the money in my packet and spend it the way i want.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Armada
I may have an 04 in silver with 44k on the clock I may part with. PM me for details if you have an interest.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jayhawkblk
I may have an 04 in silver with 44k on the clock I may part with. PM me for details if you have an interest.

This is the one bro, pounce while you can
Old 01-20-2012, 06:43 PM

FBO 2005 E55 w/ LSD
Originally Posted by bamaster
Your story could have totally gone the other way, though. I paid $4k for a 4yr/60k warranty on my '04 with 38k miles. In three months, on my first service, it's already paid out $1,500. Granted that's dealership prices.. just sayin'!

The price for peace of mind has been totally worth it, for me.
I hear ya, I have mixed feelings on the issue. Thanks for sharing your experiences for sure!

Originally Posted by BBBSS
Warranty is on a case by case basis at this point in my opinion. If you have tools and some knowledge on working on cars a warranty may not be a good idea for you if your willing to spend some time doing the work yourself.

If you don't have much or any mechanical experience I'd get the warranty unless you have a local shop that knows these cars that will do the work for a fair price. I think its kinda at the tipping point of if its worth geting a warranty or not for a lot of people right now.

Cars are old enough that we know what the typical issues are already. The really expensive parts are very reliable it seems.
Thanks and yes this was kind of what I was thinking. When I first started looking and saw some airmatic repair bills I was thinking in my head warranty was a must. But with other shock/strut or full coilover options maybe thats just a reason to upgrade LOL!

Originally Posted by novae500

Ya it seems lots of them are catching on to the AMG and denying claims.

Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Sleeping is over rated Since I had my 4 and 2 yr old kids, my sleep pattern has never been the same.

Every car looks great from the start until you do some digging, then the nasty little issues rear the head. After a while of searching, you brace yourself and think, when are the stories going to crop up

Then, one day you find the perfect beast, and it is love at first sight, keep searching homey, and you will find your lady
Thanks pimpin! I sure do hope so!

I will get you taken care of with BIP, and Adam at Malones Automotive here in Marietta is also a great guy to know. He has a Cl65 AMG, and is a true gear head like us that is very knowledgable. We are all going to be at BIP on 2/11 for their open house, hopefully you will have your lady by then and can bring her by
Its funny you say that, thats exactly where this Katrina time bomb was from. The salesman I spw said didnt know much about the car, they hadn't even taken delivery of it and said "he was going to look into it with the guy that does there buying for them bc he has never seen history like this in their inventory." It was enough to scare me away from them. Im sure Adam is a cool guy but that whole ordeal was kind of shady. I hope I dont get the banhammer for saying that. And I wont even say the price the salesman sputtered at me under his breath before he actually 'didnt know what it was priced at because they hadnt taken delivery' once questioned. If I dont have her by then we will still probably come down

Originally Posted by CharlyE500
Same thing happen to me but I didn't cancel the contract because too busy. Chrysler asked me to go to the dealer..... i had no time. Anyways, they sometimes give you hard time so every decision is base on them NOT YOU. So I rather have the money in my packet and spend it the way i want.
Thanks, im definitely leaning this way.

Originally Posted by jayhawkblk
I was really holding out for an 05+ and silver was the last color I wanted but PM'ing you now bud! Thanks for the heads up. I assume since your in a thread about 'stories' there are none with yours?

Last edited by iLLuZioNz; 01-20-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 PM

540 6spd
That is 60K miles, to convert km to mi, you multiply by 6 and divide by 8. To convert mi to km, you multiply by 8 and divide by 6-
80Km = 50K miles. To convert from miles to kilometers simply multiply by 1.609.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
I bought mine with 70k miles white keyles all options but pano.. runs like a dream went to dealer printed out like 4 pages of service and I myself did the belts oil tyranny flush front pads and rotors... best car I've ever had... I have 72k now but later I want to do plugs and maybe wires too