lugbolt question science guys opinions please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
lugbolt question science guys opinions please

i have 12mm lugbolts on my car. i emailed rad-usa to ask if they had 14mm cone seat lugbolts with 12mm shank . their response was that its ok to run 12mm lugbolts in a 14mm lugbolt hole.
can anyone confirm this? wouldnt it cause a wobble?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
i have 12mm lugbolts on my car. i emailed rad-usa to ask if they had 14mm cone seat lugbolts with 12mm shank . their response was that its ok to run 12mm lugbolts in a 14mm lugbolt hole.
can anyone confirm this? wouldnt it cause a wobble?
How is that possible! That sounds crazy!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
i just got another email from them. they say they do it all the time that the cone will seat the 12mm lugbolt. if this is correct i sold the kosei wheels i had for nothing!!
any sound advice would be appreciated
they go on to say most wheel companies drill the wheels for 14mm even though they are sold to folks with 12mm lugbolts
Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
Cone seats are the same. The ball seats are different. I run a 12mm cone on a 14mm shank wheel. It seats all the way. The ball seats are a different shape though and they sell adapter lugs for that reason.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Sounds correct as long as we are talking about a cone seat.
In contrast, if we were talking about a radius seat(ball seat), a R12 is different than a R14 and you would need a special lug.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
I owe you a beer whipplem104
Old 02-08-2012, 02:42 AM

2004 E55 (sold) 2012 E350 4M
I worked in the highest end wheel shop in my state growing up so if i understand your question let me give you an answer. Basically if the wheel had a cone seat then #1 priority is make sure you have cone. Factory MB, Audi, Porsche all have a ball seat and so a lot of the time companaies who made wheels say for a TT Porsche 911 they would come ball seated so the lugs factory lugs could be used.. Now it has been 6 years since i worked there but as I remember MB is 5 x 112, 12 x 1.5mm thread pitch and i cant remember the length... YOUR wheel had a 14mm hole...? As far as im concerened this should work. If you need me too I can call my buddies tomorrow and get you a for sure answer. Let me know.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by rchase
I worked in the highest end wheel shop in my state growing up so if i understand your question let me give you an answer. Basically if the wheel had a cone seat then #1 priority is make sure you have cone. Factory MB, Audi, Porsche all have a ball seat and so a lot of the time companaies who made wheels say for a TT Porsche 911 they would come ball seated so the lugs factory lugs could be used.. Now it has been 6 years since i worked there but as I remember MB is 5 x 112, 12 x 1.5mm thread pitch and i cant remember the length... YOUR wheel had a 14mm hole...? As far as im concerened this should work. If you need me too I can call my buddies tomorrow and get you a for sure answer. Let me know.
cone seat fitment only. my 32 has threaded 12mm holes in the hubs. wheels im thinking about buying have 14mm cone holes. e55 fitment. radusa says no problem run 12mm lugbolts (cone) in the 14mm holes as they will seat themselves. sounds reasonable but at speeds in excess of 120 mph i dont want to find out they were wrong!!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by rchase
but as I remember MB is 5 x 112, 12 x 1.5mm thread pitch
I work in a high-end tire shop in my garage. AMG uses a 14 x 1.5mm thread pitch with a ball seat. I would offer that if either the ball seat or cone fit the wheel correctly (i.e., sit correctly in the mounting bolt hole on the wheel, that's what applies the clamping force against the hub face when torqued to the correct specification. Assuming the center hole of the rim is hubcentric, then it would be okay to use a 12mm thread pitch under these circumstances. Lateral forces on the rim are secured primarily by the wheel bolts (which fit the wheel type correctly - cone or ball), and radial forces are controlled by the hubcentric fit of the rim (primarily), with a little additional help from the wheel bolts holding the rim in location on the hub. I would advise against using 12 bolts on a 14mm bolt hole wheel if you're also using an aftermarket hubcentric centering adapter. Those types of inserts, especially if made of hard plastic or aluminum tend fail over time creating vibration issues since the wheel is no longer centered correctly. The only really excellent hubcentric adapter system that I have confidence in is the BBS PFS system, which uses hardened metal center bore rings of precise fitment (which unfortunately can only be used on BBS rims).

Last edited by komp55; 02-08-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by komp55
I work in a high-end tire shop in my garage. AMG uses a 14 x 1.5mm thread pitch with a ball seat. I would offer that if either the ball seat or cone fit the wheel correctly (i.e., sit correctly in the mounting bolt hole on the wheel, that's what applies the clamping force against the hub face when torqued to the correct specification. Assuming the center hole of the rim is hubcentric, then it would be okay to use a 12mm thread pitch under these circumstances. Lateral forces on the rim are secured primarily by the wheel bolts (which fit the wheel type correctly - cone or ball), and lateral forces are controlled by the hubcentric fit of the rim (primarily), with a little additional help from the wheel bolts holding the rim in location on the hub. I would advise against using 12 bolts on a 14mm bolt hole wheel if you're also using an aftermarket hubcentric centering adapter. Those types of inserts, especially if made of hard plastic or aluminum tend fail over time creating vibration issues since the wheel is no longer centered correctly. The only really excellent hubcentric adapter system that I have confidence in is the BBS PFS system, which uses hardened metal center bore rings of precise fitment (which unfortunately can only be used on BBS rims).
i was actually going to use a 20mm h&r hubcentric spacer on the rear to bring the offset back to a 35 et. this is a race only setup but want to be safe as can be considering the speeds
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
i was actually going to use a 20mm h&r hubcentric spacer on the rear to bring the offset back to a 35 et. this is a race only setup but want to be safe as can be considering the speeds
The larger H&R spacers are good and I didn't think to mention them. They have machined lips which allows the wheel to sit on the spacer as though it were sitting on the actual hub.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

If you need any lugs, spacers or adapters please feel free to give me a call. I will get you set up with anything that you need, I may even have everything that you are looking for in stock.

-Craig
Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
If you need any lugs, spacers or adapters please feel free to give me a call. I will get you set up with anything that you need, I may even have everything that you are looking for in stock.

-Craig
if rad usa is correct i wont need anything. but to get ahead of the game is there a 14mm cone seat lugbolt that goes down to 12mm for the hub?