Sponsored by:

Dealer Replaced Battery they cant start it **HELP INPUT NEEDED**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG, TUNDRA PLATINUM, Concours 14 Sold,TRX 700XX Sold
Dealer Replaced Battery they cant start it **HELP INPUT NEEDED**

I had work done at dealer, oil pan gasket, front main leak and valve covers. I drove car home and got a battery light and whistle under hood. Took back the next day and they found leak and told me i needed a new battery. They replaced battery then dealer could not get the car to start. They said starter was bad so they replaced the starter now it still wont start due to blowing the fuse. I never had any of these issues before, from the battery to the starting issue. The car started until they changed the battery.

Any ideas on what could have caused this? has anyone heard of this?

Last edited by keksixsigma; 02-24-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by keksixsigma
Any ideas on what could have caused this? has anyone heard of this?
A dealer trying to milk more money from you?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG, TUNDRA PLATINUM, Concours 14 Sold,TRX 700XX Sold
Originally Posted by jmb614
A dealer trying to milk more money from you?
Tbh, i really think they are baffled. I found this in an old thread and sent it to the service manager.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...blem-w211.html

"In as much as it is not directly related to a battery problem I would reference this DTB as a precaution given the time spent on this repair already.

MBUSA DTB P-B-15.30/55a DEC05 – Engine Not Starting / Starter Fuse Malfunctioning (211, all model years). The Starter Fuse in the Driver Signal Acquisition and Actuation Module (SAM) may be malfunctioning. The current 15 Amp fuse in socket 52 (10/1f52) should be replaced with a larger 20 Amp fuse and the fuse rating change recorded on the vehicle’s Fuse Chart. "
Old 02-24-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E63 AMG / 07 C230 / 14 E350
Dealer should check the front SAM before they kept on changing the battery and alternator. Well, look at it this way. At least you got yourself new alternator!!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
What dealer is this?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Sounds like the dealer is throwing parts at the car without confirming that the old parts are in fact bad. If you are paying out of pocket I'd ask to see the old starter and have them show you how it was tested. Also the test showing your other battery failed a load test. Most likely they never checked em and were throwing parts at it and will claim the starter was returned as a core, and that the battery is gone as well though. Crappy situation but this is why it pays to find a good independent shop. Hard to believe your car that started just fine the other day suddenly has a bad battery AND starter. Unless the tech for some reason was cranking the living hell out of the motor for some reason and beat the hell out of the starter and killed the battery and left it discharged for a few days which I doubt.

I'm assuming its not under warranty as they called you saying If its warranty tell em to start replacing stuff till its fixed.

Last edited by BBBSS; 02-24-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Or if you know cars some and want a good laugh ask your service adviser to explain how both the battery and starter both died at the same time when it was cranking over just fine before coming into their shop. I say you secretly record that conversation. Should be some interesting BS we could all laugh about.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Tell them to put your old parts back on, throw the bill in the trash and tow the car to a mechanic and away from the parts changers.
Randy Marion tried that crap with me on a 96 Impala SS. I had it towed to them after it cut off on me driving. They diagnosed it as a fuel pump in the tank. Several hours later they called to tell me I had a bad ignition part too. I went to the dealer and asked to see the fuel pump that was replaced. I told them to bench test it with 12 volts. When they put 12 volts to it, it worked. By now there was a small crowd gathered around including the service manager. As politely as I could muster, I asked them to reinstall my old pump and get a different technician to work on it. The SA refused to give the car to another tech so I said fine, I'll tow it home and fix it myself. It ended up being the two screws that held the distributed rotor had backed out and the rotor wasn't turning with the shaft.
As I got ready to leave the dealership, the service manager tried to collect a diagnosis fee from me.