W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for experts: 180mm pulley + 82mm throttle + 550cc injector on tune for 180mm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Question for experts: 180mm pulley + 82mm throttle + 550cc injector on tune for 180mm

First, I would like to thank the forum and all of you here who provide valuable information that help me to complete this task!

So I was on 180mm pulley with box tune for it and finally had chance to do the 82mm throttle body and 550cc injectors yesterday. (hum… just realize, I should have changed my spark plugs when I was there). There were some small issues here and there but finally wrapped all up well to finish the job.

I totally understand that “re” tune is a must and best and a data logger is a must when touching A/F. So please do not flame me. For the current box tune for 180mm pulley, it will make the car run a bit leaner and a bit more advance timing than stock. The rule is more air requires more gas, so to keep the A/F same ratio, both A and F have to be changed in the same ratio. Before doing the job, I did a little math to estimate that it would increase 23% of air to go from 74mm to 82mm throttle body and 31% gas going from stock to 550cc injectors. Even though the increase percentage didn’t match, I was hoping that the ECU would accommodate for the change. (I am not a mathematician nor an expert, all numbers were calculated as estimates)

Good part: The job is completed. The car runs fine so far (about 15 minutes idle time + 30 miles so far). I do smell a bit more gas when I first start my car, but it will go away (or maybe I get use to the gas smell lol). The mpg is still about the same for that 30 mile trip so it is not that bad.

Bad part: Car is running on the old tune

Here is my question: What is the consequence of running too much gas besides paying $4.50 a gallon? The only thing could be damaged is the CATs right?

Thanks,

PS: As for the exhaust, I only have X pipes and 2nd CATs removed. Yes, I am looking for shorty headers .

Couple pics:
550cc on stock fuel rail:

Engine complete:
Old 03-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Depending on how rich you are actually running, possible effects can range from fouled spark plugs, O2 sensors, and perhaps in the worst case scenario if not corrected for a long period of time, increased ring wear from washdown on the cylinder walls.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:19 PM

2004 E55
i thought the supercharger had to come off to do this?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350, 2011 ML350, 2003 996TT
You should have gotten a looped rail in there too to equalize fuel pressure.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by BenJ
Depending on how rich you are actually running, possible effects can range from fouled spark plugs, O2 sensors, and perhaps in the worst case scenario if not corrected for a long period of time, increased ring wear from washdown on the cylinder walls.
Thanks!
Yes, I am looking forward to a dyno tune or at least re-tune.

Originally Posted by saleen01
i thought the supercharger had to come off to do this?
Yes, the supperchager did come off in oder to do 82mm throttle.

Last edited by CLKCLK; 03-19-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by BlkE55K
You should have gotten a looped rail in there too to equalize fuel pressure.
Yes, I should. I was too lazy and did not have enough time to do the loop. Welding shop is not open on Sat and I did not want my car to be down for long. I personally, think loop is best but not really important since I already have 550cc injectors (Please do not quote me on this assumption)
Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
The reason you need another tune is because it is programmed to open the injectors for a certain amount of time (injector ms) and having a larger injector open for the same amount of time as a smaller injector was programmed for is going to dump a lot more fuel. You are going to lose quite a bit of power from this as well as issues that others have mentioned above.

Oh and I assume you are going off the center display saying your gas mileage was the same, well that is not going to be correct with the larger injectors. For example my car with 550cc injectors will say I am getting 21mpg on the highway cruising and get an average of that for a trip but when doing the math on how much fuel it takes to fill the tank back up and how many miles I went the mileage was more like 19 and it is the same way on my other car with bigger injectors but it is way off in that one with injectors over double the size of the stock ones.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
A retune is a must. You should still be very rich even with the new mods but dont beat on it until it's tuned properly.