Sponsored by:

Engine Sound Check, Help? Video attached

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, Prev. Cars: E46 328ci, Audi TT, ML320
Engine Sound Check, Help? Video attached

I'm currently in the market for a w211 e55. I have a nearby private seller with a white one with 92k but when I went to see the car, it has several issues to address. The engine is currently making two different sounds. The first is a squeaking/chirping sound. From my research, I'm assuming its a supercharger clutch, bearing replacement.(correct if I'm wrong) The second is a deeper sound, something like an exhaust leak. Maybe you can you make it out from the video below, Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Originally Posted by GT22
I'm currently in the market for a w211 e55. I have a nearby private seller with a white one with 92k but when I went to see the car, it has several issues to address. The engine is currently making two different sounds. The first is a squeaking/chirping sound. From my research, I'm assuming its a supercharger clutch, bearing replacement.(correct if I'm wrong) The second is a deeper sound, something like an exhaust leak. Maybe you can you make it out from the video below, Thanks for your help in advance.

As to the sounds:-

First sounds is not the SC clutch. That only engages when driving and you exceed 28MPH. The squeek sounds like idler or tensioner pulley bearings.

The second sounds like a leaking header. Does it have stock headers? It could be just a gasket or a crack.

Advice - get a PPI done and left them tell you what the issues are.

oh BTW I had to go take a dramamine as I got sea sick from watching your video trying to see if it was a PANO lol
Old 03-21-2012, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by grantwoodtx
Could tell if it's a white with pano.. if it is GOOD choice!

As to the sounds:-

First sounds is not the SC clutch. That only engages when driving and you exceed 28MPH. The squeek sounds like idler or tensioner pulley bearings.

The second sounds like a leaking header. Does it have stock headers? It could be just a gasket or a crack.

Advice - get a PPI done and left them tell you what the issues are.

oh BTW I had to go take a dramamine as I got sea sick from watching your video trying to see if it was a PANO lol
Thanks for your input

1.Glad its not the SC clutch, but from what I've been reading I will still need to change the pulley in the near future bc of its high mileage.
2. Yes, stock headers. I guess I will find out if its the gasket or the actual headers from the PPI.
3. IT IS A PANO! and it has black/merlot red interior, main reason Im willing to sacrifice making these repairs. Hopefully its all worth it.
4. The car also has "Visit Workshop" Battery Icon, Im assuming alternator, small battery or large battery.

Last edited by GT22; 03-21-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Originally Posted by GT22
Thanks for your input

1.Glad its not the SC clutch, but from what I've been reading I will still need to change the pulley in the near future bc of its high mileage.
2. Yes, stock headers. I guess I will find out if its the gasket or the actual headers from the PPI.
3. IT IS A PANO! and it has black/merlot red interior, main reason I'm willing to sacrifice making these repairs. Hopefully its all worth it.
4. The car also has "Visit Workshop" Battery Icon, I'm assuming alternator, small battery or large battery.
The SC clutch either has a chirp or the bearing falls apart and you end up with ball bearing in the bottom tray. If the clutch is not chirping you may be able to get waya with swapping the bearing OR you could go the route of getting the new smaller SC clutch and that could be your first performance mod

The Visit Workshop could be either battery or alternator but check the dates on both batteries or have them tested at an auto parts store before replacing them. A lot of times it may not be the alternator but simple the electronic control module in the alternator. There is a DYI for that.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W463 G500, 2003 Terminator Cobra (710RWHP), 2012 S350 Bluetec, 2010 911 C4S, 2007 VRSCDX
What happens when you Rev the car? When was the last time the belt was replaced?

Its either belt or bearings based on the sounds above. I am leaning towards bearing but if its belt, its a nice cheap fix (for a Benz AMG at least)
Old 03-21-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by W109 W211 6.2L
What happens when you Rev the car? When was the last time the belt was replaced?

Its either belt or bearings based on the sounds above. I am leaning towards bearing but if its belt, its a nice cheap fix (for a Benz AMG at least)
When you rev, the sounds remains constant. Doesn't get louder or lower.
Im not sure the seller has replaced the belt yet. Anyway to quick test if its the belt or bearing? I read something about applying WD40 to the belt while spinning and if it quiets down...its the belt?
Just to double check, we're speaking about the serpentine or the supercharger belt/bearing? Is the supercharger ruled out because the sound is occurring at idle, taking from what I get from @grantwoodtx reply?

Originally Posted by grantwoodtx

Last edited by GT22; 03-21-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 s55
Just chimming in for my s55. Just saw the video and mine sounds just like that as well. I just noticed a sound coming from the supercharger pulley. So I pop open the hood, remove the supercharger cover and notice that the seal around the supercharger bolt to be laying on the skid plate at the bottom. I see the bearings rolling around loosely inside. It sounds like a loose or wobbly pulley but clearly the loose bearings inside. Is this an easy fix for your typical mechanically inclined person? If so, where and what parts are needed?

Last edited by hegar817; 03-21-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 AM

Turns out to be the belt for the squeaky noise.
And for the deeper sound, it was the right side exhaust manifold gasket.
I'm finalizing the sale on Monday, should be out the shop and in my hands by Wednesday.

Thanks for all your help

Here are some pics that I'll gaze at till then:

Last edited by GT22; 03-23-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:19 PM

05 E55
Nice grab man. That thing needs some TLC though. Detail immediately!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Helli217
Nice grab man. That thing needs some TLC though. Detail immediately!
Thanks, detail is a definite. I won't even drive it without being detailed. I plan on taking it soon as I get out of mechanic shop.

Only thing I'm sad that I missed out on is KEYLESS GO but since its Pano I guess I'll compromise.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 PM

05 E55
I have keyless go, and guess what-I never use it and wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there. Like you said you have white w/ pano. WIN. Good luck with it.