COMAND Keeps locking up and rebooting.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
COMAND Keeps locking up and rebooting.

This started yesterday when I picked it up from the detailer. My COMAND will either lock up completely then reboot or just not boot up properly at all (and then reboot).

At first I thought it was just that the guy maybe got some water under the hood but he doesn't use a power washer ever and literally finessed the thing.

I turned the car off and you can hear an intermittent "boing" sound.

Any way to reset the thing or am I in for a trip to the stealership?

My car is an '09 so she has the COMAND from the W212.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Reboot is usually a most ring issue
Old 03-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
+1
Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
This started yesterday when I picked it up from the detailer. My COMAND will either lock up completely then reboot or just not boot up properly at all (and then reboot).

At first I thought it was just that the guy maybe got some water under the hood but he doesn't use a power washer ever and literally finessed the thing.

I turned the car off and you can hear an intermittent "boing" sound.

Any way to reset the thing or am I in for a trip to the stealership?

My car is an '09 so she has the COMAND from the W212.
I had a heavy object in the trunk and it bump the NAV in a turn and it does what you described above, i ejected the disc and reload it, no more problem.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SLK 350
Hi all, I'm new here and my COMMAND has been rebooting every once in a while since I bought my SLK (it has 3500 miles on it now). It's been to the shop and they've "analyzed" movies I gave them of it rebooting, and they've determined that it's rebooting because it's connected to a BlackBerry, which is "notorious for rebooting the COMMAND" (their words). I have navigation, too.

Unfortunately, I don't understand what the two responses to the OP mean. What is a ring issue? How can something in the trunk affect the navigation?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nonsense mine needed replacement parts.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:08 PM

2012 SLK 350
MB won't replace it. When I first took it in (under warranty) they said they wouldn't replace it without proof, so I took some movies for them the next time it did it. Now they want me to unpair the phone and see if that fixes it. It only happens once a month or so, so that means no phone functionality for a while. That kind of pisses me off because it's a new car.

But I have to jump through the hoops, I guess. I just wanted to know if anyone was having the same issues. It's a Mercedes so it's going to have problems.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Whoever designs these things for Mercedes should be fired. Aftermarket systems have been doing all this stuff and more for a long time and way more reliably.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:36 AM

2007 E63 AMG (Dubai), 2009 BMW X5 4.8i Sport (PA)
Originally Posted by Glowball
Hi all, I'm new here and my COMMAND has been rebooting every once in a while since I bought my SLK (it has 3500 miles on it now). It's been to the shop and they've "analyzed" movies I gave them of it rebooting, and they've determined that it's rebooting because it's connected to a BlackBerry, which is "notorious for rebooting the COMMAND" (their words). I have navigation, too.

Unfortunately, I don't understand what the two responses to the OP mean. What is a ring issue? How can something in the trunk affect the navigation?

Thanks!
I had a problem with a Blackberry as well. My Andriod phone connects and everything runs perfectly. My Blackberry would connect and then the COMMAND would freeze up, reboot, freeze up and so on. After that happening a couple times, I got worried and quit using the Blackberry in the car. I've never tried to investigate the problem.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:39 PM

2012 SLK 350
Originally Posted by jayjmuir
I had a problem with a Blackberry as well. My Andriod phone connects and everything runs perfectly. My Blackberry would connect and then the COMMAND would freeze up, reboot, freeze up and so on. After that happening a couple times, I got worried and quit using the Blackberry in the car. I've never tried to investigate the problem.
Wow, jaymuir, that has me concerned. I'm not going to use a different phone so they're just going to have to figure it out. I'm sure there are lots of other users who are successfully using COMMAND and a BlackBerry. I think my SLK uses a different COMMAND than yours, though. Apparently mine doesn't use the network ring anymore. It's very possible the issue with BlackBerry pairings doesn't exist with my COMMAND but who knows.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Glowball
Wow, jaymuir, that has me concerned. I'm not going to use a different phone so they're just going to have to figure it out. I'm sure there are lots of other users who are successfully using COMMAND and a BlackBerry. I think my SLK uses a different COMMAND than yours, though. Apparently mine doesn't use the network ring anymore. It's very possible the issue with BlackBerry pairings doesn't exist with my COMMAND but who knows.
You and I both have the 2.5, but it looks like that RIM garbage is what's locking yours up.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:13 PM

2012 SLK 350
When it's doing it's rebooting over and over it comes back up and connects to the phone. Then it's about 10 seconds later when it hangs up. It's hung for a little while before it reboots again. It will do this with CDs in or out, as well as USB in or out. The navigation usually does not come up. It will usually not know where I am or which direction I'm heading before it reboots. It always successfully connects to my BlackBerry at each reboot, just like it does when COMMAND is happy.

It only happens twice a month or so, but I don't drive the car very often (I bought it in September of last year and it has 4,000 miles on it now). I guess I'll leave the phone unpaired for a couple of months (ugh) and if it doesn't do it's rebooting thing then I'd say it's the phone that's causing it. They're still going to have to figure out how to make it work, though, because this is ridiculous.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 e350
Originally Posted by jayjmuir
Hi. My Samsung s5 seems to cause my comand to freeze and restart all the time. I have a 2011 c350. What kind of android did you have?
Old 03-12-2020, 11:06 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
2012 E350 had the same issue: Fixed

My car suddenly started doing this and the next day I took it to my tech and he claimed it might not be the ring because it might’ve not even powered on.

After several hours of research I disconnected the Bluetooth > Reseted to factory settings > Disconnected Battery > Reconnected and powered on car added Bluetooth and made a call then went through the gps and then the Audio and it seemed to resolved the issue.