Sponsored by:

Ultimate E55 Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by stevebez
Or sell, get a 2012 E63 and run 10's with a tune...
True that
Old 10-13-2012, 02:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
LBZ duramax swap. 75mm fixed vane turbo over stock VVT, dual cp3, ppe stage 5 tranny, air dog fuel pump, efilive DSP5 switch, 4" exhaust, 800 hp, 1300 ft pounds. Hello 9's!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Huh?

Why is everyone obsessed with drag racing, doesn't anyone like to scare themselves by turning? I think my stock E55 needs chassis work, or maybe I'm expecting too much from it. Too little rebound damping and on normal roads with bumps n ripples, at 100+ mph, that's NOT a good thing. Need to tame the chassis or stick to race tracks- they are smooth and flowing.

I plan on getting pulley and tune for now, but she goes like stink as it is. I want to put foot to *** of the errant Beemer drivers and the occasional CTSv. Poor Mustang GTs ( i used to won one) I don't even bother with cars like that when they challenge.

I cant help it, I want to turn at the end of a drag run, no matter the speed.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:47 AM

2003 E55 estate
Originally Posted by Easywriter882
Why is everyone obsessed with drag racing, doesn't anyone like to scare themselves by turning? I think my stock E55 needs chassis work, or maybe I'm expecting too much from it. Too little rebound damping and on normal roads with bumps n ripples, at 100+ mph, that's NOT a good thing. Need to tame the chassis or stick to race tracks- they are smooth and flowing.

I plan on getting pulley and tune for now, but she goes like stink as it is. I want to put foot to *** of the errant Beemer drivers and the occasional CTSv. Poor Mustang GTs ( i used to won one) I don't even bother with cars like that when they challenge.

I always sort out brakes first , then handling , then cooling followed by a proper suspension alignment before I start adding power . I have found that in real world driving ( on uk roads) it makes a faster car rather than just adding HP.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
5.5 bored and stroked as much as possible. All forged.

Cams ground to match.

Custom designed 4 valve per cyl heads

Completely redesigned intercooler system.

Largest Whipple you could fit under the hood along with massive bore TB.

All nice and neatly dyno tuned to race gas.

That would make me a happy camper.

Liquid air injection would be simpler. Then you dont need a supercharger. Why run gas at all, you can just use LPG.

Have the engine block made from a single billet using CNC.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:36 PM

2006 E55
Mar L

Hi Mark,
thak so much for the info. When you say sort ut brakes what do you mean. The beast stop really quick IMHO, I am not prepared (finances or otherwise) to pop for ceramics or such. I just put new discs on and was wondering about hi-perf pads. Do you have a recommendation for that. Brembo is stock on the E55 as on my KTM dirt bike. Factory works race bikes according to magazine tests do not stop any better than the stock KTMs so Im figuring Brembo got their act together.
Handling is the issue, Im sure if I took it to Lime Rock where I did the AMG Academy in Spring it's feel way better than bombing around local highways. Damping is a funny thing, too much and the car is out of whack,not enough and it unloads too much weight from tires, not what you want when settled into a corner or bend. Any specific suggestions on that? I got into it with another E55 and I was catching him on motor but when traffic came up he darted about like a dang BMW, I felt the rolling my car when I tried to match him and backed off after that. I know a Master Tech to do the work.
With the airmatic shocks, can the damping force be adjusted in either direction or individually as in front to rear. The front feels more or less ok, its the back end rebound I want to slow up a couple notches. I don't want to lose the adjustablility of the standard shocks so popping for full aftermarket shocks is a long shot, I hope to go do some track days but this is also my car to drive on the streets.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:21 PM

2003 E55 estate
Brake wise where I live the roads are very twisty with few overtaking places so I tend to be hard on the brakes and fade has always been a problem and warped rotors . I'm currently upgrading to brabus 12 piston and 380 mm two part rotors for the front and 6 piston 360 mm two part rotors for the rear .
Handling wise I have found 20 '' wheels to be fine and with very little loss of ride comfort and the handling is greatly improved . I'm also going for rear mb arts camber and toe kits for the rear and a LSD . The local guy who dose suspension set up will then do a full alignment , one thing to note is when he dose it he pulls the car down by 20mm with chain and a eye bolted to his work shop floor , he's not cheap but is very good and has in the past set up all my cars with great results .
Old 10-17-2012, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Easywriter882

Wrong car. My friends C55 drives like it's on rails. My E55 drives like it's on a very strait rail with zero curves...lol. Excellent dragster, horrible circuit racer.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Take it to UGR and have them install a V10 R Motor with their modified 6spd transmission.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
I say drop a top fuel motor in and call it good!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by PACougar
I say drop a top fuel motor in and call it good!
But what about fuel mileage?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
But what about fuel mileage?
Ahh, we buy AMG's, who thinks about fuel mileage!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PACougar
Ahh, we buy AMG's, who thinks about fuel mileage!
..... Probably the guys buying them now using a 60-month (or longer) bank loan to make the monthly payment affordable.

I'd guess they are the same guys that complain about the price to buy replacement tires and the costs of synthetic oil changes.

-G