W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After pinning, dyno tune, driving 100 miles, new look at the 195mm RTR pulley wobble

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Wobble in it's self isn't a big issue unless it's a huge amount. In Hawkins case, it's enough to hit the water pump pulley. This obviously won't work. I would just swap in a smaller pulley and live with the wobble. My car has had wobble for over a year and it's been fine. I also race it almost daily.
There is more to the story my friend, than just a little wobble. Sit back, relax and enjoy the show

PS: A LITTLE wobble, aka a little runout, will not hurt you, but SERIOUS wobble will kill you

Last edited by MRAMG1; 04-17-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Wobble in it's self isn't a big issue unless it's a huge amount. In Hawkins case, it's enough to hit the water pump pulley. This obviously won't work. I would just swap in a smaller pulley and live with the wobble. My car has had wobble for over a year and it's been fine. I also race it almost daily.
ummm what? Wobble isn't an issue??? Do you know how much stress that puts on your crank and in turn your engine internals? Great advice, I guess you don't like your engine very much.

The big rtr pulley has veryyyy little space between the water pump pulley and the outer ring of the crank pulley. Its actually one of the first things I noticed. And I even said if there's any wobble they will make contact. I saw Steve car first hand at the track and it was bad. Like really really bad. Sucks cuz he was going to crush the record.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
ummm what? Wobble isn't an issue??? Do you know how much stress that puts on your crank and in turn your engine internals? Great advice, I guess you don't like your engine very much.

The big rtr pulley has veryyyy little space between the water pump pulley and the outer ring of the crank pulley. Its actually one of the first things I noticed. And I even said if there's any wobble they will make contact. I saw Steve car first hand at the track and it was bad. Like really really bad. Sucks cuz he was going to crush the record.
Spoken from the preacher Ahmad

Wobble is ALWAYS bad, what I was stating above is a little run out. I have seen STOCK Ford, GM, and BMW's have a little runout, aka they look like they are out of round under a strobe light, or even visisual.

But WOBBLE will kill your engine ASAFP
Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
There is enough evidence here for the members to form their own opinions, and I am not talking for Steve, but I will not be posting much more in this thread right now. All I will say is that my car is going back to BIP in a day or so, and have the pulley taken off again to have everything inspected.

Last edited by chawkins2001; 04-17-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
All I will say is that my car is going back to BIP in a day or so, and have the pulley taken off again to have everything inspected. At that point we will contact RTR, let them know the extent of my damage, and give them the opportinuty to step up to the plate and make things right.
You might want to consider having an independent, third-party shop do the inspection / diagnosis because BIP has a massive conflict of interest in this situation. There's no persuasive evidence BIP didn't botch the first install based on your prior Board postings about the difficulties you've had with this upgrade path. If this Board has collectively learned one thing about pulley mishaps over the years, the first people always to deny any responsibility whatsoever will be the installers.

I'm just saying if you want to bolster your claim against the part supplier, I would have someone other than BIP do the forensic work, since it's already foregone conclusion what BIP will determine. Not trying to be contrarian, and I know you're a big BIP true believer, but you'll be much better off in the long run having two unrelated sets of "experts" saying it's a product issue, not just the one that may or may not have mucked up the original install and caused issues as PTE has suggested elsewhere. Regardless of where the fault lies, it's a shame that doing pullies continues to create costly disasters for owners.

Last edited by komp55; 04-17-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by skratch77
Sorry to hear guys,I hope you can get the cars back together without having to spend to much into swapping a crank in.I think gtr did some type of crank modding to get his pulley back on without a keyway and Im sure that can be done on yours also.

I would saggest a pulley like pte has,like mine and like most tuners like renntech,kleemann,brabus etc use a stock oem pulley and press fit a outer ring on without welds that could throw the ballance off.

I went threw the wobbling pulleys and the stress you get thinking you can damage the engine is not worth the 300-400 in savings.

I will have a oem 180 for sale soon if I can get some time to install the stock pulley on my car and if you need a stock pulley to get a outer ring press fitted on I have a few of those also.

Sent you a message
Old 04-17-2012, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by komp55
You might want to consider having an independent, third-party shop do the inspection / diagnosis because BIP has a massive conflict of interest in this situation. There's no persuasive evidence BIP didn't botch the first install based on your prior Board postings about the difficulties you've had with this upgrade path. If this Board has collectively learned one thing about pulley mishaps over the years, the first people always to deny any responsibility whatsoever will be the installers.

I'm just saying if you want to bolster your claim against the part supplier, I would have someone other than BIP do the forensic work, since it's already foregone conclusion what BIP will determine. Not trying to be contrarian, and I know you're a big BIP true believer, but you'll be much better off in the long run having two unrelated sets of "experts" saying it's a product issue, not just the one that may or may not have mucked up the original install and caused issues as PTE has suggested elsewhere. Regardless of where the fault lies, it's a shame that doing pullies continues to create costly disasters for owners.
Thanks for the suggestion and it makes sense. If the exact samething happens twice, actually three times, it is not installer error man.

First time, belt slipped, pulley wobbled, threw the belt and spun on my crank shaft. Second time, same thing happened to Steve, pulley had a slight wobble and started scuffing the WP pulley, he was told this is ok, so he continued to drive the car and went to MIR, belt was thrown, violent wobble of crank pulley, and it spun on the shaft, toasted crank. Third time, my second RTR pulley was straight after install at idle, dyno time and 100 miles of street driving, the crank pulley is now wobbling and scuffing the WP pulley. You see a trend here homey, you telling me that BIP installed my RTR pulley incorrectly twice, and Steves shop in Nova installed his RTR pulley incorrectly too

I dont buy it

Last edited by chawkins2001; 04-17-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Wow! This is a mess!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Runout, wobble...it's the same thing. I guess I see how I made it sound like a lot of wobble is okay. It's not.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550

You see a trend here homey, you telling me that BIP installed my RTR pulley incorrectly twice, and Steves shop in Nova installed his RTR pulley incorrectly too

I dont buy it
You're too close and invested in this to be entirely objective. That's why you needed some impartial advice about the best way to document your claim for product liability. Since the advice was free, you don't need to buy it (or use it) anyway. But if this situation ever gets to the level of an actual legal dispute, you don't want the expert on your side to be laughably conflicted regarding the outcome. The triers of fact are usually pretty good at considering the sources. I hope this gets sorted out to everyone's satisfaction.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Who else is running a rtr 195? I would assume rtr tested these before selling to the public
Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL55
Should owners of other RTR pullies be worried? I ordered an ASP from EC, but received an RTR pulley instead. It's only 180 but seeing how much potential for damage is involved I'm beginning to wonder if I should risk running it? Anyone had issue good/bad with other sized pullies?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Banned

Modded CL65
Thanks for the suggestion and it makes sense. If the exact samething happens twice, actually three times, it is not installer error man.

First time, belt slipped, pulley wobbled, threw the belt and spun on my crank shaft. Second time, same thing happened to Steve, pulley had a slight wobble and started scuffing the WP pulley, he was told this is ok, so he continued to drive the car and went to MIR, belt was thrown, violent wobble of crank pulley, and it spun on the shaft, toasted crank. Third time, my second RTR pulley was straight after install at idle, dyno time and 100 miles of street driving, the crank pulley is now wobbling and scuffing the WP pulley. You see a trend here homey, you telling me that BIP installed my RTR pulley incorrectly twice, and Steves shop in Nova installed his RTR pulley incorrectly too

I dont buy it

Craig, you know im in the area I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you if you'd like. Not saying anything was installed wrong but i'll shoot you straight.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

S55
There is so much misinformation being spred about this entire situation, that I felt compelled to say a few things. I have known Exotic for a very long time- throughout the years of forum posting when most of you weren't even in diapers. He is bar none one of the most respected people in the performance industry. Period. Every major forum knows who he is, and he is always one of the first people to raise the technical level and be willing to spread his knowledge and information to any one who asks. This forum was pathetic in the sharing of info before he bucked the trend. Everyone knows Shardul is also a stand up guy, enough that the opposition to his treatment on this board created such an outcry that the mods had to retreat, reinstate and do major damage control. Can't say that would happen for many other members, so to even implicate that they should in anyway be responsible for this is disgusting.

It is ludicrous that people have the audacity to say that they need to step it up. This is racing - and a racing industry. Things break, cars break, and peoples egos break. It sucks. But to brandish a pulley as causing the fault of these failures is fine if that has been proven, but to date that is not the case.

There is enough evidence here for the members to form their own opinions, and I am not talking for Steve, but I will not be posting much more in this thread right now. All I will say is that my car is going back to BIP in a day or so, and have the pulley taken off again to have everything inspected.

First of all - Chawkins - your "first" pulley failure was pretty well documented that the installer missed the keyway - causing the pulley to spin off. Clearly, there was damage done enough that you drilled and modified your "second" pulley- in essence - rigging it. Your installers should have pulled it apart and inspected it before another pulley was put on.

I dont buy it
You should not buy it - because that version of the story is not exactly accurate. Blending your story with Steve's is a stretch.

People refer to this pulley as a bolt on design - but EVERY pulley is a bolt on design. It is the crank bolt that is at issue here, not the ring bolts. Were new bolts used on every install? Did anyone check that the crank bolt was still tightened to the proper torque? Clearly not, if the crank bolts are backing out and then a pulley is backing off, wobbling, spinning or coming off -then no one is checking these things. These are torque to yield bolts and require very precise installation, over tightening or under tightening (easy to do) can ruin the bolts purpose. What tools or methods were used to do the install? Poor tools, like strap wrenches can cause major issues as well. So there is alot of additional information that needs to be forthcoming to make your accusations and wrants even partially justifiable.

These are aftermarket parts- used on cars with the sole intent of gaining more horsepower or racing, look on every forum, people race, people break, but they don't whine and cry and expect the world to replace their stuff for free. Grow up - it's racing - there's no warranty for that. Seriously- if your lugnuts come loose and your wheel flies off are you going after the wheel company?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Well this should get interesting
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMazinGocity
There is so much misinformation being spred about this entire situation, that I felt compelled to say a few things. I have known Exotic for a very long time- throughout the years of forum posting when most of you weren't even in diapers. He is bar none one of the most respected people in the performance industry. Period. Every major forum knows who he is, and he is always one of the first people to raise the technical level and be willing to spread his knowledge and information to any one who asks. This forum was pathetic in the sharing of info before he bucked the trend. Everyone knows Shardul is also a stand up guy, enough that the opposition to his treatment on this board created such an outcry that the mods had to retreat, reinstate and do major damage control. Can't say that would happen for many other members, so to even implicate that they should in anyway be responsible for this is disgusting.

It is ludicrous that people have the audacity to say that they need to step it up. This is racing - and a racing industry. Things break, cars break, and peoples egos break. It sucks. But to brandish a pulley as causing the fault of these failures is fine if that has been proven, but to date that is not the case.

First of all - Chawkins - your "first" pulley failure was pretty well documented that the installer missed the keyway - causing the pulley to spin off. Clearly, there was damage done enough that you drilled and modified your "second" pulley- in essence - rigging it. Your installers should have pulled it apart and inspected it before another pulley was put on.

You should not buy it - because that version of the story is not exactly accurate. Blending your story with Steve's is a stretch.

People refer to this pulley as a bolt on design - but EVERY pulley is a bolt on design. It is the crank bolt that is at issue here, not the ring bolts. Were new bolts used on every install? Did anyone check that the crank bolt was still tightened to the proper torque? Clearly not, if the crank bolts are backing out and then a pulley is backing off, wobbling, spinning or coming off -then no one is checking these things. These are torque to yield bolts and require very precise installation, over tightening or under tightening (easy to do) can ruin the bolts purpose. What tools or methods were used to do the install? Poor tools, like strap wrenches can cause major issues as well. So there is alot of additional information that needs to be forthcoming to make your accusations and wrants even partially justifiable.

These are aftermarket parts- used on cars with the sole intent of gaining more horsepower or racing, look on every forum, people race, people break, but they don't whine and cry and expect the world to replace their stuff for free. Grow up - it's racing - there's no warranty for that. Seriously- if your lugnuts come loose and your wheel flies off are you going after the wheel company?
Nice post!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
I think this situation has the potential to work itself out without pitting friends against each other. They've posted in this thread that they're talking, so beyond that all that matters to everyone else is the outcome.

Marcus- you're violating your own mbw posting rule
Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Who is this *** clown, get back under your rock you crawled out from. You have stated so much incorrect information, I am not even going to bother going threw it all for correction. Just know I saw your post, and I am extremely ticked that I lost 2 minutes of my time I will never get back.

Originally Posted by AMazinGocity

Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
So companies who offer defective products shouldn't be held responsible.. Just because its an aftermarket product? Makes a lot of sense
Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Received 505 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
I am very confused by this thread. Can someone please tell me who/what is Red Tooth Racing? I see a web site that offers no phone number or physical address. I also see an E-bay account that has absolutely no feedback. Why would anyone in their right mind deal with this kind of company? I am obviosly missing something.

After a little more research it seems that this may be a product offered by a Shardul? Is this accurate?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzoDoc

Marcus- you're violating your own mbw posting rule

Your right!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
My advice to anyone that wants to upgrade your crankshaft pulley is to make friends with the techs at the dealership and have them install your pulley. Sure they can make mistakes just as a tuner could but at least you have the comfort of knowing that a MB certified tech is installing your crankshaft pulley. This will elimate the installer issue. My .02 and this is route that I took.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
My advice to anyone that wants to upgrade your crankshaft pulley is to make friends with the techs at the dealership and have them install your pulley. Sure they can make mistakes just as a tuner could but at least you have the comfort of knowing that a MB certified tech is installing your crankshaft pulley. This will elimate the installer issue. My .02 and this is route that I took.
The people that installed Steves pulley are Mb certified techs
Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
the MB dealership up here straight up told me that if i wanted an aftermarket pulley installed by them that i would have to sign a waiver releasing them of any liability of damage the pulley may cause unless it was a kleemann or renntech pulley.

needless to say i had my pulley installed by someone else that eurocharged recommended...
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by Rock
I am very confused by this thread. Can someone please tell me who/what is Red Tooth Racing? I see a web site that offers no phone number or physical address. I also see an E-bay account that has absolutely no feedback. Why would anyone in their right mind deal with this kind of company? I am obviosly missing something.

After a little more research it seems that this may be a product offered by a Shardul? Is this accurate?
You’re likely correct. afaik RTR is ostensibly exoticmetal and shardul.

Nevertheless, several crank pulley manufacturers have experienced issues over the years.
Knock wood my dampened evosport 178 doesn’t 86 a crank.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: After pinning, dyno tune, driving 100 miles, new look at the 195mm RTR pulley wobble