had the H/E installed today... :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Originally Posted by Toadster
I didn't see it buttoned up till I got home, they showed me how the cooler was installed with the bumper off, in the garage - I was more interested in seeing the leftovers from the driver's side damage...

I think they left the air baffle on the cooler which adds to the bulk - I'm going to pull the undertray and see how it's attached...
I would have clearly told them they should have called me right away before they finish putting the bumper back ... for them to go ahead and put it in without showing you and asking for your go head , and present this as a finished job is unacceptable !
Old 05-26-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
E55 AMG
I did my install myself, no bumper or facia removed. Took 2 hours,no bulge. Thats why I dont let anybody work on my car. looks like install was not very well performed.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Originally Posted by BRH AMG
I did my install myself, no bumper or facia removed. Took 2 hours,no bulge. Thats why I dont let anybody work on my car. looks like install was not very well performed.
Do you have the same HE?
Old 05-26-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
E55 AMG
Eurocharged
Old 05-26-2012, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by BRH AMG
2hrs to R&R a heat exchanger and bleed the system ??? No idea how you can do it that quickly (I am not calling you a liar). I must be old and slow ...
Old 05-26-2012, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Bulge is dependent on which H/E is used. Toadster, your doing things backwards. Pulley, E63 front end & H/E together. No bulge even with a large H/E with the E63 front end. Get rid of the grandpa front end get some hotness going man. A 'little' processed but notice no bulge? I had the same bulge as yours with the old bumper, the E63 bumper sticks out a bit allowing more room for the cooler. They don't touch ,even with the bottom tray installed. Plenty of room. With the E55 bumper & large H/E, the tray really pushes down on the bumper.

Last edited by pearlpower; 05-26-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by pearlpower
OT but HOT DAYAM!!! Never get sick of seeing your car!
Old 05-26-2012, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Talking

BenzoBoi, I shamelessly sneaked that one in there. LOL
Old 05-26-2012, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Your car is so HOTTTTTT bro
Old 05-26-2012, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by Evolved8
Your car is so HOTTTTTT bro
+1 u got me kinda wanting to do the conversion damn u ! Lol
More money to blow lol
Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
Originally Posted by pearlpower
Bulge is dependent on which H/E is used. Toadster, your doing things backwards. Pulley, E63 front end & H/E together. No bulge even with a large H/E with the E63 front end. Get rid of the grandpa front end get some hotness going man. A 'little' processed but notice no bulge? I had the same bulge as yours with the old bumper, the E63 bumper sticks out a bit allowing more room for the cooler. They don't touch ,even with the bottom tray installed. Plenty of room. With the E55 bumper & large H/E, the tray really pushes down on the bumper.

what kind of head lights are those? look nice
Old 05-27-2012, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
The bulge in the lower bumper skin looks terrible and I would not accept that on my car, the parts are supposed to fit the car, not the car fit the parts.

Also don't like the cheap black spray paint on the fins, probably done with a cardboard template.

And never liked the brass hose end connections with Teflon tape, even though I know it works. A truly professional product would have welded aluminum hose fittings.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by slownrusty
The bulge in the lower bumper skin looks terrible and I would not accept that on my car, the parts are supposed to fit the car, not the car fit the parts.

Also don't like the cheap black spray paint on the fins, probably done with a cardboard template.

And never liked the brass hose end connections with Teflon tape, even though I know it works. A truly professional product would have welded aluminum hose fittings.
Wow you guys are something else...Poor Todd...For the money, this HE has some great features and hopefully folks will post IAT data to show how it cools (what is really important). As for the suggestions / critiques :
(1) The picture was probably taken a foot or two off the ground and my guess is anybody taller than 5' would not even be able to tell there is a bulge unless on their knees examining...

(2) Any logo would require a stencil - cardboard, aluminum, etc. really does not matter...and of course it would be sprayed on...you can order the HE without the logo

(3) Fitting selection ?? Seriously ?? How about the fact that the HE requires no drilling and has a valve for easy purging ?

(4) Oh yeah did I mention this HE was less than $300 ???

Steve / FTP - Nice job. Tape or cap off the fittings when shipping and you have one heck of a product.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cij911
Wow you guys are something else...Poor Todd...For the money, this HE has some great features and hopefully folks will post IAT data to show how it cools (what is really important). As for the suggestions / critiques :
(1) The picture was probably taken a foot or two off the ground and my guess is anybody taller than 5' would not even be able to tell there is a bulge unless on their knees examining...
correct

(2) Any logo would require a stencil - cardboard, aluminum, etc. really does not matter...and of course it would be sprayed on...you can order the HE without the logo
yes, you can even order it in black - so far I'm liking the logo - I really noticed yesterday at the tire shop when the tech was driving my car to the bay - looks good (IMHO)

(3) Fitting selection ?? Seriously ?? How about the fact that the HE requires no drilling and has a valve for easy purging ?
Direct bolt on, I think the issue with the bulge may be due to the tech left trans cooler plastic/rubber air channeling fins to keep it as close to stock as possible - most likely it can be removed since the undertray has the vent holes already for the cooler

(4) Oh yeah did I mention this HE was less than $300 ???
best bang for the buck in my opinion - need to log IATs

Steve / FTP - Nice job. Tape or cap off the fittings when shipping and you have one heck of a product.
agreed - Steve has been FANTASTIC through the whole process since my H/E got dinged up in shipping
Old 05-27-2012, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
I disagree. I have a crack on the underside of my front lip that causes a far less noticeable "bulge" (not even a bulge but I'm not sure what to call it) and it is noticeable to most car buffs I hang around with, mostly guys over 5'10". There's also the question of how the contact and pressure from the lip against the oil cooler might affect the oil cooler over time. These are AMGs and even if they're almost a decade old, we need to keep them looking classy as opposed to looking like a ghetto rigged, mickey moused car.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
I disagree. I have a crack on the underside of my front lip that causes a far less noticeable "bulge" (not even a bulge but I'm not sure what to call it) and it is noticeable to most car buffs I hang around with, mostly guys over 5'10". There's also the question of how the contact and pressure from the lip against the oil cooler might affect the oil cooler over time. These are AMGs and even if they're almost a decade old, we need to keep them looking classy as opposed to looking like a ghetto rigged, mickey moused car.
I agree - its' stuffed under there pretty tight and the picture I took was on my driveway which is angled upward -
The channeled plastic bits along with the trans cooler is what is adding some of the bloat (see the yellow highlight below)

Last edited by Toadster; 05-27-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
here's a pic from the front standing up (not crouched down), nice shiny new passenger side headlamp

Old 05-28-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
You said dealer said 4 hours for inter-cooler replacement?

That's because the inter-cooler is under the s/c, not the HE that sits behind your bumper

Also, back the the heat-exchanger.. You also have to factor in bleeding it and adding coolant.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cwmateiuc
You said dealer said 4 hours for inter-cooler replacement?

That's because the inter-cooler is under the s/c, not the HE that sits behind your bumper

Also, back the the heat-exchanger.. You also have to factor in bleeding it and adding coolant.
whoops - meant 4 hours for the heat exchanger replacement