W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 Down

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG, 1991 NSX, 2007 Corvette
Hate to hear that news. I know the feeling seeing white smoke out the back,. Fortunately for me it was very minor. Some residual oil got on the pipes and that equals a lot of white smoke. Nothing worse than being out of state in the middle of nowhere. Thank God for the internet and great folks on this site that are willing to help out at any turn. Your car looks sweet so I am sure you will get it all sorted out and have your beast back in action soon,. Good Luck.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Maybe. Blowing an engine at part throttle isn't easy though. Even if the engine knocks it's still producing such little amounts of power that pistons tend to take it with relative ease. I've dealt with cars that sound like diesels at part throttle cause they knock so much yet have yet to actually see one break at part throttle in person, although I've read about it before so I know it's not impossible I guess. Plus, you have to remember that knock sensors will be picking up the knock and on these cars they can retard something like 12deg. of timing if they have too, which is pretty bad ***.

I dunno, but I doubt part throttle tuning has anything to do with it.

I agree, almost impossible and being one of the least likely cylinders in our engines to go as well (#2). Now if that one lone cylinder was not getting proper fuel for some reason, then part throttle detonation can easily happen. Other pistons look nice and rich running.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 07-14-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
What setup were you running for fuel?
What adapters if at all were you using?
Could it have been electrical or was it something in the line that clogged it?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
I've got the TTM rail and injectors. Not sure about the rest. It was mailed directly to the shop that did the install.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Probably time to change your fuel filter too of you haven't already.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by adianaty
Probably time to change your fuel filter too of you haven't already.
That would require a new fuel pump, ouch.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
How would a wideband have saved you here?
Are you going to run AFRs on both banks?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Wide band logging would likely not have caught this. By the time you aggregate all cylinders, the lean condition would likely be unnoticed. (He is doing dual bank AFR - btw)

Unfortunately, engines blow up.

Based on my conversation with Deneroll, the injectors appeared to be oil fouled (if that is even a condition). So the speculation is that oil coming in from breather tube contributed to the clogging of injectors. Obviously, #2 got to a point where it could not feed enough fuel.

I would agree on the pump filter. If nothing else, cheap insurance policy.

I would be surprised if enough oil could come from breather, as this is a stock configuration, unless there was some blow by. In that case, the crankcase would have a larger than normal positive pressure, and that could force more oil out of the breather.

Could there have been some compression issues? Too late to know now.

I know every wants to find a smoking gun, but I don't think that will happen. No one to blame here except the noob driver.

Broken - Fixed

Kudos to Jerry! Nice of him to offer up what he is doing. Awesome stuff. Now get back on the road, and get back here soon so I can race you (edit: BEAT YOU) some more :P

Last edited by Bramage; 07-14-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
Originally Posted by Bramage
I know every wants to find a smoking gun, but I don't think that will happen. No one to blame here except the noob driver.
Haha, I'm gonna get you, sucka!

I'm at Eurocharged now with Jerry and Scott. They are going above and beyond all expectations for me here and I am extremely grateful. Found a vac leak we are checking out now. A few bugs to iron out, but we're getting there. And I mean they are getting there because I'm just standing around like a handsome idiot.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Great to hear that you are almost back up and on the road again. Sorry to see this happen and you had your car modded with correct fuel mods too!!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK-63 BLACK/2014 E63S/2013 ML350
Originally Posted by Denroll
Haha, I'm gonna get you, sucka!

I'm at Eurocharged now with Jerry and Scott. They are going above and beyond all expectations for me here and I am extremely grateful. Found a vac leak we are checking out now. A few bugs to iron out, but we're getting there. And I mean they are getting there because I'm just standing around like a handsome idiot.
So here's something we fixed today that might explain few things, as soon as Jerry put it on the dyno I checked the IAT's, even before a run they were at 165 at idle which is way too high for me, we screwed around for ages trying to see what was wrong thinking that the system wasnt bleed properly we tried to bleed it and nothing happend when we took the bleed cap off and ran the car, which as most of you know is when the H/E pump is running, I thought the pump was toast so we found one that Jerry had that was used but we knew worked and installed that, which for me in 90 deg heat and having the flu was a total Pain In The **** and made me very very grumpy, Note: "when we drained the system it was very dry which on a good day for me should have told me something right there but it didnt". well the new pump didnt change a damn thing the system still wouldnt pump or should I say bleed, I called shards to see if he had any idea what was going on and to be honest none of us could really figure out what was going on, I decided to trace all coolent lines to the heat excahnger from start to finish and notice that some Idiot had split the cooling system for the H/E with out adding a resi, meaning no way could you bleed or even add coolent to the system all they did was disconnect where the stock system feed off and blanked both ends, so we reconnected the hoses which sound really bloody easy but with no hoist or removing the front bumper was a Pain In The **** as well, Bleed the system, ran the car and our IAT's were back down to 109 at idle which is where they should be, we also sorted out the High Idle and surging problem which i think was a Vacume line Jerry found with a massive hole in it, LOL, I'm sure dennis will fill you in on the rest of the day but I will say that after Jerry had worked on the tune the car sounds VERY strong and made a bunch of power on the Dyno, and by the looks of dennis's face after the test drive he was a very happy camper,
Old 07-14-2012, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Awesome job guys!

This type of thread restores my faith in this community. Congrats to all who helped get her back together.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Heard he did nice numbers!

Last edited by Hulk; 07-14-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by Bramage
Wide band logging would likely not have caught this. By the time you aggregate all cylinders, the lean condition would likely be unnoticed. (He is doing dual bank AFR - btw)

Unfortunately, engines blow up.

Based on my conversation with Deneroll, the injectors appeared to be oil fouled (if that is even a condition). So the speculation is that oil coming in from breather tube contributed to the clogging of injectors. Obviously, #2 got to a point where it could not feed enough fuel.

I would agree on the pump filter. If nothing else, cheap insurance policy.

I would be surprised if enough oil could come from breather, as this is a stock configuration, unless there was some blow by. In that case, the crankcase would have a larger than normal positive pressure, and that could force more oil out of the breather.

Could there have been some compression issues? Too late to know now.

Broken - Fixed

Kudos to Jerry! Nice of him to offer up what he is doing. Awesome stuff. Now get back on the road, and get back here soon so I can race you (edit: BEAT YOU) some more :P
is this something an oil catch-can would eliminate?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
I absolutely love happy endings!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by lowprofile
Awesome job guys!

This type of thread restores my faith in this community. Congrats to all who helped get her back together.
Yes, this is what this forum is about!!!! Great job helping out Denroll and glad to hear Denroll back on the road!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

FTP-E55///AMG
Very Awesome how everyone came together and helped Denroll get his beast back up and running.

Denroll, Did you end up doing an EC tune?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
Yes, I had to as Jeremy is out at a secret location for a while and was unable to tune this weekend. I know it seems like I jumped sides here, but honestly I had little choice and did what had to be done to get the car running again. I had a great experience with Jeremy and now I've had a great experience with jerry (no homo, of course). The consumers win here.

Let me tell you about these guys and how awesome they were. They ended up fooking over their Saturday to sweat it out in a hot shop in order to get my car up and running. I actually have some of Jerry's blood on my engine and whet looked to be a gallon of Scott's sweat also. My engine bay is like a crime scene! Not only was it hot, they both ended up laying in a pool of coolant to get this job done. I can't be more appreciative than that. Jerry and Scott, a genuine thank you again.

As for numbers, well... I was all smiles. Heartbreaker dyno, 94 degrees ambient... How does 527.6hp sound? Fixing the cooling problem really woke up the beast and it has a top end I have been missing out on this whole time. It's fun!

There are many more people I need to thank and I'll do it later when I'm not on my phone. Bottom line is that this Houston crew is an amazing bunch of enthusiasts and friends. You guys rock!
Old 07-15-2012, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
The problem with this engine is the high AIT and not fuel issues, i have worked on many E55's and saw 2 blown engines and they were with pulleys without cooling, i can say that every engine with more then 170F/180F iat coupled with high speed wot will end up with a blown engine, the MB engineers shut off the SC after 200F with stock boost.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Congrats and those numbers are amazing man. Care to share your mods or dyno graph?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Damn, nice numbers. What are all your mods?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Drive back safely!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:05 PM

2005 E55 AMG....Speed is Relaxin'
Congrats !!!!
It is an AMAZING group of guys that you met
in Houston/Austin area. They are ALL
straight up passionate about MODz to
AMGz !!!!
I am LUCKY to know them too.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Denroll is finishing his trip to New Orleans now, and the car is running great. It put down some amazing numbers, so I will anxiously await his return to SD.

The only issue he is having: no air coming out of ducts (very little). Anyone experience anything like this? Im thinking maybe a vent got knocked loose somewhere while putting in the motor, but not sure. If I remember, the fan is under the dash on pass side. I know pretty boy needs his AC, so if anyone has any hints....
Old 07-16-2012, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
The exact samething happened to me after my new motor went in. I had no cold air blowing at all. I will find out what happened and how my shop fixed the issue. I dont remember off the top of my head.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: E55 Down