W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend got the wrong oil and gave it to me, will it work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
I've used 0-W20 royal purple for awhile knowing I would be building a new engine in the future and by bearings,rings,bores all looked perfect and not a scratch on them and I was running her hard and turning more RPM than anyone has to my knowledge. Not saying its ok forever but it didn't hurt anything.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
I have seen 3 different answers from the search bar, so can anybody tell me just how many quarts I'll need? I have seen 6,7, and 8 quarts being suggested.
For answers regarding fluids - your best bet is your owners manual. If you do not have one - order one - find a copy to download online
Old 07-09-2012, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
If you drain out of both drain plugs you will need 8.2 qts.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
Here is the scoop on filters and oil change duration:
Fram and other aftermarket brands use paper. Paper is perfectly fine if you choose to change you oil every 3K miles like the old days. The best and only paper filter I ever used that has out performed all other filters is the Purolator brand. Fram has come out the worst in any controlled tests. Purolator is one of the oldest brands out there and they use to be cheap to buy (for our engines, #L25276 available from PepBoys) but last time they were priced at the same as a discounted Mann fleece filter pack. So what the hell? lol
So, what happened is the US demanded that cars decreased their oil change frequency some years back. BMW went crazy up to 15,000 miles depending how you drove, Volvo and MB went to something like 10,000 miles. BMW has since retracted and increased the frequency due to results of gummed-up engines. In order to have long intervals you need a filter that will not disintegrate due to the acids in the oil over time. Hence the fleece filter was born. its made of fibrerglass.
You only need to use a fleece filter if you change your oil at 5,000 miles or more, or when the service indicator tells you too which is always more than 5,000.
Since the Purolator filters have increased in price, its now cheaper to buy a pack of ten Mann Fleece filters discounted online. Since I manage a group of vehicles my rule is change the oil every 5,000 miles on the 5,000 mile odometer interval so that its dead easy to remember. IE 60,000, 65,000, 70,000 miles etc and ignore the service A/B reminders for oil.

Last edited by jnash; 07-09-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by tsquare
For answers regarding fluids - your best bet is your owners manual. If you do not have one - order one - find a copy to download online
I will check the manual tonight, just found it in a box full of stuff for my car.
Originally Posted by Shifter
If you drain out of both drain plugs you will need 8.2 qts.
Can the plugs be reused? and thank you on the exact amount!
Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
I've used 0-W20 royal purple for awhile knowing I would be building a new engine in the future and by bearings,rings,bores all looked perfect and not a scratch on them and I was running her hard and turning more RPM than anyone has to my knowledge. Not saying its ok forever but it didn't hurt anything.
How many miles were you running that oil?
Originally Posted by jnash
Here is the scoop on filters and oil change duration:
Fram and other aftermarket brands use paper. Paper is perfectly fine if you choose to change you oil every 3K miles like the old days. The best and only paper filter I ever used that has out performed all other filters is the Purolator brand. Fram has come out the worst in any controlled tests. Purolator is one of the oldest brands out there and they use to be cheap to buy (for our engines, #L25276 available from PepBoys) but last time they were priced at the same as a discounted Mann fleece filter pack. So what the hell? lol
So, what happened is the US demanded that cars decreased their oil change frequency some years back. BMW went crazy up to 15,000 miles depending how you drove, Volvo and MB went to something like 10,000 miles. BMW has since retracted and increased the frequency due to results of gummed-up engines. In order to have long intervals you need a filter that will not disintegrate due to the acids in the oil over time. Hence the fleece filter was born. its made of fibrerglass.
You only need to use a fleece filter if you change your oil at 5,000 miles or more, or when the service indicator tells you too which is always more than 5,000.
Since the Purolator filters have increased in price, its now cheaper to buy a pack of ten Mann Fleece filters discounted online. Since I manage a group of vehicles my rule is change the oil every 5,000 miles on the 5,000 mile odometer interval so that its dead easy to remember. IE 60,000, 65,000, 70,000 miles etc and ignore the service A/B reminders for oil.
Good advice! I have already decided on Mann for the filter 100%. Not going to chance it then have to explain to MBWorld that a fram filter embedded junk all over the motor. I don't like going more than 5-6000 per oil change but I have some how managed to go wayyyyy past that, at least 10K. I didn't do much hard driving on this oil so im not that worried. Also, My last repair bill shows Mercedes used 5W-40. So going to 0W-40 should be better than right?