All these racing topics persuaded me!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
All these racing topics persuaded me!

After reading about some Guys first track experiences, I did a simple google search and found A Lot of test and tune days @ Chicagoland speedway in Joliet. I never knew how cheap going to the track was! Admission is $15 and a Participant run car is $25. Before I end up trying to get out there, any tips/advice? I remember seeing a Drag racing how to sticky but it isn't there anymore..
Anybody else close to Joliet that would want to attend an upcoming date?
Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
After reading about some Guys first track experiences, I did a simple google search and found A Lot of test and tune days @ Chicagoland speedway in Joliet. I never knew how cheap going to the track was! Admission is $15 and a Participant run car is $25. Before I end up trying to get out there, any tips/advice? I remember seeing a Drag racing how to sticky but it isn't there anymore..
Anybody else close to Joliet that would want to attend an upcoming date?
Fill up your tank, maybe check out your lug nuts, and torque them down. Just be safe, that's what really matters. Then start focusing later once you get the hang of it.

Also I can think of tire pressure. I was nearly at 15psi to get the best launch and 60 foot out of my car, but the e63's first gear just ends up spinning them off the line too much. You should be ok.

Yeah the price isn't too bad. Here in Arizona it's about $20 for car and driver, and just $10 for admission.

Also about the Drag Racing Sticky. Honestly, most of the stuff I search for has old pictures that aren't viewable, and has un answered topics or questions.

Last edited by infantry; 07-04-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I will be on street tires (Dunlop Direzza DZ101's 265/35/R18s) as well. Almost forgot! Need to get a helmet to race right? My friend use to race go carts, and I was thinking about borrowing his helmet. And I was under the impression that less gas is better. I know it would be my first 1/4 so ET isn't the worry, its getting the fundamentals down. My friend said he would go to with his stock 2003 mustang GT 5 speed but he doesn't want to race. Ill convince him to not only race, but race me. Hes never raced either so we would have plenty of fun.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
I will be on street tires (Dunlop Direzza DZ101's 265/35/R18s) as well. Almost forgot! Need to get a helmet to race right? My friend use to race go carts, and I was thinking about borrowing his helmet. And I was under the impression that less gas is better. I know it would be my first 1/4 so ET isn't the worry, its getting the fundamentals down. My friend said he would go to with his stock 2003 mustang GT 5 speed but he doesn't want to race. Ill convince him to not only race, but race me. Hes never raced either so we would have plenty of fun.
My track requires long pants as well. Best tips I've got, learn to use the staging lights, one foot on brake one on gas and bring the revs up a hair to take slack out of the driveline (how high depends on tires and track prep, and LEAVE ON THE LAST YELLOW!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Ya dont fill up your gas tank.. Thats a lot of extra weight.. Maybe grab some ice bags to put on top of the supercharger in between runs to cool it down
Old 07-04-2012, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
I think this is what you are looking for.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...acing-how.html

You are correct about filling up with gas. It's unnecessary added weight. Last time I went I timed it so that I was almost empty just before entering the gates. I stopped just before and put three gal in and then drove in with my gas light on and made a dozen passes that night. I did however need to get gas immediately after though for the ride home. Also, take your spare out of the trunk.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by Zax63
My track requires long pants as well. Best tips I've got, learn to use the staging lights, one foot on brake one on gas and bring the revs up a hair to take slack out of the driveline (how high depends on tires and track prep, and LEAVE ON THE LAST YELLOW!
yes, don't wait for green. it will happen faster then you can move, so leave on last yellow.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Here is my two cents. The sticky above is full of great stuff. There is also a very recent thread discussion on the art of the launch which is everything for us. The rest of the ride is hanging on at WOT and not grinning so much that it makes your eyes close.

My advice is have fun and don't think about the guy next to you. Concentrate on your launch. Reaction time really doesn't mean much. You are running against the clock. Chances are, if the guy next to you launches first, you will still dial him in halfway down the track and that is Oh So fun.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
Leave ESP on no burn out, and leave whenever your ready. The lights are for reaction time only which you won't be concerned about.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by E55Bullet
Leave ESP on no burn out, and leave whenever your ready. The lights are for reaction time only which you won't be concerned about.
No burnout? I was thinking I would try ESP on w/burn out, esp off w/burnout and then the infamous dyno mode w/burnout. I skimmed the drag racing thread and learned some great stuff. Never would have guessed to put the cars susp. in comfort
Old 07-04-2012, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I don't know much about the Dunlops you are running, but most street tires do not benefit from a burnout like drags do. Most guys on streets drive around the water and then do a very brief burnout to clean off the tires. Some streets like T1Rs and Nitto evos have a super soft compound that might stick better when heated up.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 SL65, '13 FX4 Eco
For your first time dont do a burnout... Sport mode for gears, comfort for suspension, leave ESP on. Seeing that it will most likely be a street night try to ease into the gas and not floor it im sure track prep will be terrible. If the car is hooking fine and not spinning then give it some more gas your next time up. Drive around the water for the burnout. Oh and definitely leave on the 3rd yellow light. Nothing feels better than treeing the **** out of someone if you ask me and just hold on. At the track I go to you have to have a snell approved helmet check the guide lines for the track you are going to. Most importantly dont forget to have fun!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
^ two great points above. First, street legal nights are notorious for ****ay track prep. Second, I have seen tech very lax about everything but the proper Snell rated helmet.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I don't know if this is just bull****, but I have heard the left lane @ Chicagoland Speedway is better than the right? never heard that before. Also, with me running 95% stock (K&N's) what would you think my car will do? I'll try about 20psi in the rears and go from there. Also, with it being so humid lately, I will wait till about mid to late july to do this, hopefully the temps get the hell away from 90 or a 100 by then.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No burnout? I was thinking I would try ESP on w/burn out, esp off w/burnout and then the infamous dyno mode w/burnout. I skimmed the drag racing thread and learned some great stuff. Never would have guessed to put the cars susp. in comfort

Ha there is no reason for a burnout with your street tires. I mean if you want to for fun go ahead but if you drive through the water box to do your burn out. You are going to make it worse for everyone.

And as far as Dyno mode goes, DONT you dare try this your first time at the track. Your insurance does not cover our drag racing adventures.
(I have ran some low numbers and I still haven't used Dyno mode) I'll try that for tens.

There are multiple tips and tricks to do for a low 60 foot. But for your first time out. Just keep it simple. And have fun. Don't worry about making all these small adjustments to the car until you have learned the basics of running down the strip.

And remember. It's just for fun! And it's addicting.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Ha there is no reason for a burnout with your street tires. I mean if you want to for fun go ahead but if you drive through the water box to do your burn out. You are going to make it worse for everyone.

And as far as Dyno mode goes, DONT you dare try this your first time at the track. Your insurance does not cover our drag racing adventures.
(I have ran some low numbers and I still haven't used Dyno mode) I'll try that for tens.

There are multiple tips and tricks to do for a low 60 foot. But for your first time out. Just keep it simple. And have fun. Don't worry about making all these small adjustments to the car until you have learned the basics of running down the strip.

And remember. It's just for fun! And it's addicting.
When the weather cools in the fall and DAs drop, I'm meeting Chad (E55bullet) at Morroco raceway on a Sunday. Chad will no doubt break his PB and I think, go sub 11. I might run the SL for maybe a mid 11 pass. you should join us. I don't think you are too far away.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Not really, only about an 1 hour and 45 minute drive for me. When were you guys thinkin about going? I would love to meet some AMG guys and get some real hands on advice. I was even thinking, maybe one of you guys could drive my E55 down the 1/4 to see what it will achieve with a seasoned driver.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I'm guessing it will be October.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Perfect! I wanted to wait till cooler weather and thats just it. Where are you commuting from?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Curt is coming from Milwaukee area and I'm going from Lafayette, IN (Purdue university)

I will probably talk jake into doing a Eurocharged track event where we rent out the track to invited guest only. I think there would be enough interest in the Chicago area that if we all chipped in we could get this paid for.

This is just an idea for now, but either way curt and I will be going one Sunday.

I would love to help you out and teach you how to run your car. If we get foggy we can even swap out wheels and I'll let you and curt try out my drag radials (world of difference)

Chad
Old 07-05-2012, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Curt is coming from Milwaukee area and I'm going from Lafayette, IN (Purdue university)

I will probably talk jake into doing a Eurocharged track event where we rent out the track to invited guest only. I think there would be enough interest in the Chicago area that if we all chipped in we could get this paid for.

This is just an idea for now, but either way curt and I will be going one Sunday.

I would love to help you out and teach you how to run your car. If we get foggy we can even swap out wheels and I'll let you and curt try out my drag radials (world of difference)

Chad

Man, I gotta tell you. MBWorld is the place to go to for classy, helpful and eager to teach people!

Back on topic, dumb question but can more than one passenger be in a car during a 1/4 mile pass? Reason I ask is because that would give a huge benefit to someone who's trying to teach someone how to race without confusing the basics. Hopefully I don't run a 15 second pass with a 3 second 60 ft to start...
Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 SL65, '13 FX4 Eco
You could probably take a passenger if you told tech you will run a 15 second pass. They will most likely know that the car is faster than that though and not let you take a passenger.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I wlll check the NHRA rules and find out for sure. I can tell you IRP (Indy) does not allow passengers at least fast cars. The track I used to go to in Muncie did not seem to care so long as everyone had on helmets. There was a Evo I kept running one night that was in the low 12s with a passenger. I was going to tell him to dump the passenger on one run and maybe shave a 10th or 2. Then I saw the passenger. He would have shaved .8 of a 10th.

i have not been to Morocco, but I gather from Chad they are pretty laid back. I would have liked someone in the passenger seat with me on my first run.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by cal1
I wlll check the NHRA rules and find out for sure. I can tell you IRP (Indy) does not allow passengers at least fast cars. The track I used to go to in Muncie did not seem to care so long as everyone had on helmets. There was a Evo I kept running one night that was in the low 12s with a passenger. I was going to tell him to dump the passenger on one run and maybe shave a 10th or 2. Then I saw the passenger. He would have shaved .8 of a 10th.

i have not been to Morocco, but I gather from Chad they are pretty laid back. I would have liked someone in the passenger seat with me on my first run.
I was under the impression you have been to Morroco, guess I was wrong. At least I wont be the only one thats unfamiliar with the track.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was under the impression you have been to Morroco, guess I was wrong. At least I wont be the only one thats unfamiliar with the track.

Ha. Morroco will let you run with a passenger. If you ask. And as far as the track goes. They are pretty much all the same. They all go straight.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: All these racing topics persuaded me!