W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

supercharger bearing replacement 05' E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2012 | 06:41 PM

2006 E55
supercharger bearing replacement 05' E55

hey guys can anyone direct me to a DIY write up or video so that I can replace the bearings on my beast...the dealership was literally trying to rape me!!!

Thanks
Old 08-08-2012 | 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...h-install.html

from the DIY thread
Old 08-09-2012 | 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by cano1
hey guys can anyone direct me to a DIY write up or video so that I can replace the bearings on my beast...the dealership was literally trying to rape me!!!

Thanks
SC Bearing or SC Clutch ???? Two very different things....

Bad toad !
Old 08-09-2012 | 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Follow the DIY above to remove the clutch pack. Put the clutch pack on a press to remove the old bearing and press in a new one. Follow the clutch pack reassemble.

The big bolt can be a biitch to remove. Heating helps as it was installed at the factory with loctite.
Old 08-09-2012 | 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cij911
SC Bearing or SC Clutch ???? Two very different things....

Bad toad !
snagged from further down in that thread

This writeup is to fix the supercharger pulley bearing.
If you hear god awful noises coming from the supercharger pulley which sound like grininding your bearing is going out.(dont confuse this with the supercharger squeak).
Replacing the bearing will probably not fix the supercharger squeak, but for some reason when i replaced the bearing on mine the squeak stopped. but this is only day 1.

Last week the bearing inside my supercharger pulley went bad making all kinds of noises. I have a 2003 sl55, but this writeup applies to all amg 55 compressor engines. I called up the dealership here in houston and as just for the bearing itself. Dealership said i have to purchase the whole supercharger pulley assembly they do not sell the bearing. I politely hung up the phone. If you open your hood and take off the engine cover you can clearly see the bearing held by a lock ring inside th supercharger pulley.
I am fortunate to have access to the oem bearing that mercedes uses on these pulleys. they are made by nachi. You may be able to order them at bearing supply shops cost any where from $50 to $75 for the bearing. I can get them for $65 but it take about a week for them to come in.

Tools needed
1. Torch
2. strap wrench
3. 15/16 socket and breaker bar
4. bench vise
5. 26mm socket (i think thats the size)
6. rubber mallet
7. keep old bearing you will need it to install the new on.

Step one
Open hood lol

Step two
pull off engine cover

step 3
Remove outer drive belt

step 4

Fire up the torch and heat the supercharger pulley bolt.
The bolt has loctite the heat will melt the loctite to make bolt removal easier.
be very careful with the torch in the engine bay area. target just the bolt heat for 30-45 secs. Keep fire exsingusher on standby just in case.

step 5

use strap wrench and 15/16 socket to undo supercharger pulley bolt.
remember righty tighty lefty lucy.

step 6
remove supercharger pulley

step 7
Remove the snap ring with some pliers at the from of the pulley.

Step 8
place pulley between bench vise, (grooves facing down, backplate facing your face)
vise does not have to be tightened to much just enought to hold in place for the beating you about to give it. MAKE SURE PULLEY IS RESTING ON THE SHINY SILVER PART NOT THE DARK METAL PART AS THE DARK METAL PART HOLDS TENSION)

step 9

place 26mm socket inside pulley and hammer out the bearing with a mallet.

step 10
clean the inside of the pulley

step 11
rub inside with a light film of grease

step 12
place new bearing inside then put a towel on top then put old bearing on top of that and hammer in the new bearing half way. take the old bearing off, then continue hammering in with the towel on top till the bearing is seated.

step 13
put snap ring back in

step 14
install pulley back into supercharger

step 15
put loctite on supercharger bolt thread then bolt on.
40lb torq or 60 nm

step16
put cover on the close hood.

step 17
go grab a drink and a snack
wait 30min for loctite to set

step 18

crank the benz up
mission accomplished

takes only 30 min at most
Old 12-22-2012 | 07:09 PM

W211 E55 AMG Kompressor
Hello Everyone, I'm in need of some advise with this bearing issue, the DIY sounds simple enough, however, aside from unbolting the engine mounts and raising the engine a bit, how is everyone even getting a socket and breaker bar between the pulley and radiator fan, there is literally less two inches space between the two...aside from that, I can see it is simple enough to be a 45 min task,,,,if I could fit the two tools there... I missing something or am I just using too big a socket and breaker bar ???? feed please....
Old 12-22-2012 | 07:20 PM

'03 E55 AMG - '06 300C SRT8 - '93 240SX Coupe w/1JZ-GTE
I had an indy shop replace mine and they unbolted some of the fan housing and stuck an impact straight through there and had it all done in no time, no jacking the motor up. Make sure you throw the new bearing in the freezer first, it apparently shrinks the metal a bit so that it's easier to press in. Also, some people have said an electric impact wrench is better to use than air powered because they have more torque? That's what my indy shop used and the bolt was loose in minutes. Good luck!

Last edited by Jakez; 12-22-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2012 | 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Undo the fan shroud and lift it up about two inches.. Youll be able to get a socket through there right to the pulley bolt.
Old 12-24-2012 | 11:00 AM

W211 E55 AMG Kompressor
AKnight55, just so I know what to look for, whats the easiest way to undo the fan shroud, I didn't see any bolts or clips etc...is the panel where the pull latch is located need to be removed to access the fan shroud ???? thanks!!
Old 01-06-2013 | 03:40 PM

E55 AMG 2003, SL55 2004, 2014 E63 Renntech (Current), 2018 renntechE63 (Current)
Originally Posted by Beast55
Hello Everyone, I'm in need of some advise with this bearing issue, the DIY sounds simple enough, however, aside from unbolting the engine mounts and raising the engine a bit, how is everyone even getting a socket and breaker bar between the pulley and radiator fan, there is literally less two inches space between the two...aside from that, I can see it is simple enough to be a 45 min task,,,,if I could fit the two tools there... I missing something or am I just using too big a socket and breaker bar ???? feed please....

Hope this picture will help others out

Regards,

Matthew
Attached Thumbnails supercharger bearing replacement 05' E55-s-c-bolt-.jpg