W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airmatic issues: Part 3

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Airmatic issues: Part 3

Today I installed the new arnott rear airmatic bellows. Install on one side took nearly 2 hours...then I figured out that there were a lot of things that I removed that I didn't have to and the other side only took 45 minutes...lol.

Anyways...start the car up and allow the airbags to inflate before I drop the car and when I drop the car I was happy to see it hold it's normal height...woohoo...except...what is this sound? SHHHHHHHHHH..

The freaking new airbag is leaking. I thought it was from the fittings but it's not...the part where the fitting screws into is leaking. If I push downward with my finger it'll stop leaking. I can't believe it. Stranded again because a NEW part is leaking.

I'm so depressed right now...I definitely regret not going coil suspension at this moment, regardless of comfort.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
So, what did you have to remove? Not much, right?
Arnott has lifetime warranty, but it is definitely a hassle and disappointment.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
That's frustrating. I'm curious how they ride once they get sorted.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
You'd think they'd test em out before shipping. Hopefully just a random mishap. You'll get a new one soon and be glad you did what you wanted and got the air suspension in the end.

What did/didn't you have to remove?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Call them asap. Let us know how it works out. WE are all watching this one. Did you take any photos of pulling them out?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Arnee
So, what did you have to remove? Not much, right?
Arnott has lifetime warranty, but it is definitely a hassle and disappointment.
Originally Posted by BBBSS
You'd think they'd test em out before shipping. Hopefully just a random mishap. You'll get a new one soon and be glad you did what you wanted and got the air suspension in the end.

What did/didn't you have to remove?
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Call them asap. Let us know how it works out. WE are all watching this one. Did you take any photos of pulling them out?
No photos, although I might take some photos today since I have to remove it again.

All that needed to be removed was the lower cover ( the one that covers the arm where the shock/bellow bolts on to ), the rear arm ( the one furthest to the back, just the outside bolt removed to get it loose ), and the shock absorber. That's it.

For the expansion reservoirs, you can't remove them with the subframe on so I just cut the hoses off and left them there. Cutting the hoses off completely emptied out the rear bellows when make them really soft and each to remove.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 AM

That's good. That's what I thought. I've removed a real spring that way. Put a jack under the control arm, loosen the control arm, loosen the shock bolts, but slowly lower the control arm to release the spring.

It will need an alignment afterwards but that only helps, not hurts.

It's just unfortunate that the new part has issues.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
So its leaking where your screw the connection into the airbag? Did you put a new little rubber o ring on it? Im assuming its not cross threaded?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Shifter
So its leaking where your screw the connection into the airbag? Did you put a new little rubber o ring on it? Im assuming its not cross threaded?

It's the part it's self where it screws in, not the fitting. Even after it has been removed it still leaks like crazy emptying the bag ( which shouldn't happen even after unplugging it from the air line ).
Old 08-19-2012, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Sorry to hear that. Let us know how Arnott handles the situation. Good luck.

Aaron
Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Well, looks like I'm in luck.

Today I took out the airspring again ( took 20 minutes this time ) and I decided to open the lid to see what's inside. The lid has 4 screws which were LOOSE. Upon opening it I see the solenoid and pull it out ( it's pushed down by the lid, not bolted nor glued ) and one of the o-rings in the solenoid was smashed due to improper placement ( I'm guessing someone was in a hurry when assembling it ). I replace the o-ring ( 4 in total, 3 small and 1 large ) and reinstall everything.

Woohooo....it works!!! No leaks. Took it out for a drive and the car feels great...perhaps firmer as they state in their website but it is barely noticeable. Feels in comfort mode as it did before in sport 1 mode.

I'm so happy.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Way To go! Sounds like you dodged a bullet and saved yourself a bunch of hassle.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 PM

Good stuff.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Shifter
Way To go! Sounds like you dodged a bullet and saved yourself a bunch of hassle.
Tell me about it...I wanted to cry when it started leaking...LOL.

I also removed the steering knuckle ball joint and replaced both lower control arms today with the sway bar link...on one side...lol. Took me 5 hours just for that one side, it was horrible. I don't ever think I've applied so much force in my life to remove and install the parts. I'm going to do the other side next week and I will NEVER do this again on this car. Insanely tough I tell you. I've rather rebuild my engine before changing ball joints again.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:59 PM

Did you go with OEM control arms with bushings?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Arnee
Did you go with OEM control arms with bushings?
No...aftermarket. Can't remember the brand but it is quality aftermarket, not the really cheap ones.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by GT-ER
No...aftermarket. Can't remember the brand but it is quality aftermarket, not the really cheap ones.
Good stuff.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
You should still call or email arnott and let them know of the problem. Otherwise they will continue to have the same problem.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by vettdvr
You should still call or email arnott and let them know of the problem. Otherwise they will continue to have the same problem.

I did.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Merc E-500
Arnott rears

GT-ER,

I just installed a set of Arnott rears in my 2003, E500 (W211).

Same with me, one side great, the other side whooosh. Leaking from under the top cover behind the electrical connector.

Arnott next day aired me a repalcement immediately with no questions. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to go through the internals and fix it my self.. I was already at wits end when the Bilstein OEM's failed after 30 days and less than 1000 miles.

Bilstein will not honor any warranty due to the installation, I took off the remote reseviour hose clamp for ease of installation.

I have Arnott fronts and rears and the ride is a bit stiffer, and I have a small chirp coming from the front that might be valving noises but I also replaced the upper control arms and lower ball joints as well as outer tie rods..basically I have a front end with ~2000milse on it, so some break in will tell.

Heck these Guam roads are the "break" in tool.

Arnott was so easy to install, has side to side interchangeability as well as ease of access to the air line installation. If they keep up their service standard then I am sold.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by dunnman99
GT-ER,

I just installed a set of Arnott rears in my 2003, E500 (W211).

Same with me, one side great, the other side whooosh. Leaking from under the top cover behind the electrical connector.

Arnott next day aired me a repalcement immediately with no questions. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to go through the internals and fix it my self.. I was already at wits end when the Bilstein OEM's failed after 30 days and less than 1000 miles.

Bilstein will not honor any warranty due to the installation, I took off the remote reseviour hose clamp for ease of installation.

I have Arnott fronts and rears and the ride is a bit stiffer, and I have a small chirp coming from the front that might be valving noises but I also replaced the upper control arms and lower ball joints as well as outer tie rods..basically I have a front end with ~2000milse on it, so some break in will tell.

Heck these Guam roads are the "break" in tool.

Arnott was so easy to install, has side to side interchangeability as well as ease of access to the air line installation. If they keep up their service standard then I am sold.
Hmmm...that is interesting. Was the leaking side the driver's side?

After replacing all of the control arms in front and ball joints and getting a good alignment I can give better feedback.

First, it is considerably stiffer in the back. Feels much more connected and less "floaty" which I like. It's at the cost of some harshness that wasn't there before ( although still soft compared to steel spring suspension ).

The solenoids are also considerably louder than the oem ones...you could barely hear a faint "knock" with the oem ones but these click decently louder...the noise goes away after I stopped trying to hear it so it's not exactly bothersome either.

Other than that...my car feels fantastic now.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Merc E-500
Originally the bilstiens failed completely. The pass side was probably the root cause as it just sat there and the selenoids clicked loudly and it would not pump up, the sideways cocked position caused the driver's side to buckle side ways and then deflate as well.

The pass. side Arnott leaked, but they are interchangeable side to side for the E500 W211 units. I removed the driver's side and installed the leaking unit and it leaked on both side (trouble shooting control unit suspicions)...I also aired it up and then removed the electrical connection and it still leaked.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by dunnman99
Originally the bilstiens failed completely. The pass side was probably the root cause as it just sat there and the selenoids clicked loudly and it would not pump up, the sideways cocked position caused the driver's side to buckle side ways and then deflate as well.

The pass. side Arnott leaked, but they are interchangeable side to side for the E500 W211 units. I removed the driver's side and installed the leaking unit and it leaked on both side (trouble shooting control unit suspicions)...I also aired it up and then removed the electrical connection and it still leaked.
It had the same problem as mine did then. These air bellows are pretty simple. The have valves that allow air to enter or air to bleed and that's it...the rest is pretty much just hollow.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Damn....sorry to hear buddy. Coils as the next option...hopefully not too soon since you just bought these things!

Last edited by BenzoBoi; 08-21-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Damn....sorry to hear buddy. Coils as the next option...hopefully not too soon since you just bought these things!
It's okay now...car drives great actually.

After spending almost $900 in the rears alone, I doubt I'd ever go with coils.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Airmatic issues: Part 3