Sponsored by:

Anyone seen this Head Unit for W211s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
I'm not a fan of the OEM setup. How can you tell if your system is fiber optic or not? I have the HK in my 2004.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
E55 AMG
I think they are all fiber optic.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
Originally Posted by WIKDWS6
Anyone else buy this thing? Any other reviews? I love this car, but the stereo is killing me.
Not sure who else bought this, the only thing I can say is the down side of this system is that its a little slow on start up but works great when up and running. I have a 10" sub installed so to me it sounds great! I'm going to install a back up camera this weekend.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
E55 AMG
Thanks for the input.

So everything is plug and play and the head unit has a output to connect the sub?

Is the 10" sub is enough to make up for the lack of bass from the stock sub? Does it shake the trunk hard?
Old 11-26-2014, 06:17 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by aghakauve
Not sure who else bought this, the only thing I can say is the down side of this system is that its a little slow on start up but works great when up and running. I have a 10" sub installed so to me it sounds great! I'm going to install a back up camera this weekend.
how did you handle the MOST/Fiber Optic system. Did you bypass the whole system? please include details.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 12-01-2014, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
Originally Posted by WIKDWS6
Thanks for the input.

So everything is plug and play and the head unit has a output to connect the sub?

Is the 10" sub is enough to make up for the lack of bass from the stock sub? Does it shake the trunk hard?
From what the installer told me he said the setup is plug and play, just a pain in the butt to run all the wires to the back. The head unit is self amplified so the stock sub and amp is no longer being used.

The 10" sub I installed went were the factory sub sat, when I have the bass turned up more than usual it does rattle a little which is annoying but I listen to my music loud so most of the times I don't even hear it. It really depends on what sub you use and settings you have it on.

Originally Posted by hachiroku
how did you handle the MOST/Fiber Optic system. Did you bypass the whole system? please include details.
Yes it was bypassed there is a cable that is provided in the kit.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
it looks perty, unfortunately it isn't quality. Someone here did an OPTI1 which I have not heard anything derogatory about, it has a draw back of no fade but it is balanced out pretty damn good and does wake up the sound system.

Now, the aftermarket plug n play of this head unit is a harness that goes back to the audio gateway and plugs in there. Sound quality is no better as it is a cheap chip amp that lacks any quality or real power. its just about being real.

would I do one? maybe if I really didn't care about quality and needed to fill a hole. what would I do professionally, I would most likely do a Kenwood DNX771HD NAV system and run the HDMI cable to my Android phone. If i was really looking for something different I would add the HDMI to an AppleTV if I used Apple products. The nav is OK, I am not a Garmin fan, but with the navigon selection it looks pretty goof, menu system is awesome, and has everything you need for future technology. There is the DNN991 if you want headache and the menu is not as easy as the 771 I previously mentioned.

There is the Alpine systems which have some great features, but the menu system sucks and you'd end up punching the touchscreen. Pioneer is completely unreliable and I ended up not even messing with them anymore. Sony and Clarion, wouldn't waste the money.

Thought I would interject some "been there done that". I am the guy that would buy the best touchscreen, add a $1k processor, and $5k worth of amps, and a few more $stacks for speakers, but if you arent going to be married to the vehicle... opti1 and a Kenwood. you can add steering wheel controls and learn the button to do voice commands which is a PITA and will require a few times to get it right
Old 12-10-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211
w211 dvd

Originally Posted by 1SickCLS
I want a modern gps, backup camera, bluetooth, dvd in motion and all the other goodies you'd expect in a $100k+ car. I also want an easy plug and play system that allows me to keep my sub and surround sound staging that 13 speakers gives you.

I dont see how a unit with only 4x41watts is going to power 13 speakers including a subwoofer

Look in www.eonon.com They have support for fiber optics, just write to them. I had an eonon unit before and worked fine 3 years on an 2001 mondeo