W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Clunk Making me Batty!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
09E350, 07E63, 13CLS63
No, nothing changed.

Shortly after replacing 2 front struts and 2 rear air bags (Arnott), I heard the rattle/clunk noise when going over the speed bump, potholes, uneven road, or up the drive way ... at low speed. The noise mostly came from the front, some time from the rear. I replaced the front upper and lower control arms but couldn't get rid of the noise. I had to suffer the annoying noise for almost 2 months. I was about to replace the sway bar end links as somebody has suggested. While waiting the for parts, the noise just stopped. I think its noise from the struts. The control arms looked solid when they were replaced. They are NOT very expensive so I am okay with that.

Last edited by dustinN; 12-15-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2007 e63 estate, 1998 ITB golf, ITE scirocco (sold to a collector in Japan)
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
My car is starting to do this. It is the steering rack itself. The slide bushings are getting play in them. Very loud for a very small amount of play.
yes!!! my car's been making a sound from the front that is driving me nuts. i replaced the motor mounts. i replaced them again as one was leaking (don't buy aftermarket mounts). i had this done (the second time) by an indy shop. they checked everything else and replaced a ball joint and the lower control arms. everything's pretty much new. well, the sound got worse and worse. now, even my son is embarrassed. well i jacked it up, had him move the rack back and forth and heard clunking. it's coming from the rack itself. i took off the bellows and watched it. it moves up and down with steering input. BAD! now, i am trying to adjust it but the nut on the top is a bear. anyone else have this problem?
Old 12-15-2018, 04:55 PM

does anyone have any tricks to adjust the play in the rack?? this is an e63, remember and doesn't look at all like the racks and adjustments you see when googled.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 PM

if anyone cares, i just decided to buy a rack from ebay. i got one, restored it (it didn't need very much, btw) and replaced mine. not so hard. i replaced the struts, too with rebuilt master techs and all of those noises are fixed. now, i can hear/feel bearing noise on the steering wheel. oh, my gosh, these things are expensive! but, still, they are wonderful!
The following users liked this post:
Drifter2090 (11-29-2022)