W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Airmatic suspension tucked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Airmatic suspension tucked

Not how I wanted to start my morning.....
As I logged onto my facebook, I got a strange message from my wife stating "Ignore the email, it has air suspension". Being inquisitive, I opened my email to find pictures of the beast, tucking the rear tires.

A little history: Car purchased 27 September. Sat at Airport from 28 September to 6 October.....no air leaks. Has been stored in my garage from 10 Oct until current. Wife started it on 3 Nov (as she has done weekly since I left), and it was sitting fine. She went out to the garage on 8 Nov to see it tucked.

From my research, I think it is a faulty distribution block or relay. Can anyone confirm my suspicions?
Attached Thumbnails Airmatic suspension tucked-tucked.jpg   Airmatic suspension tucked-2012-11-14-09.27.41.jpg  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
Did it raise up?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 AM

E55 AMG
Yes, it did raise up. She waited until last nigt to attempt anything with it, but it is still up after 12 hours.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
A lot of us have this problem. I haven't messed with mine yet, but if I leave the car for 2 days it will go down a good bit and after several days to a week it will go slammed in the rear. Start the car and it goes right up. Sounds like yours finally is having the problem.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi A4
Originally Posted by urbamworm
A lot of us have this problem. I haven't messed with mine yet, but if I leave the car for 2 days it will go down a good bit and after several days to a week it will go slammed in the rear. Start the car and it goes right up. Sounds like yours finally is having the problem.
OT, but your car looks sick! What wheels are those?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. 20" Vossen CV7s
Old 11-15-2012, 06:01 AM

E55 AMG
LOL, I saw your wheels in another post and was going to PM you to find out what they are. Thanks for the info (on both accounts).

It just sucks to look at the pics, as I am so far away from home right now. She is going to take it into the shop (INDY) close to home. He will diagnose it and give her a thumbs up (or down) on drivability. If it can make it, she will take it to MB Austin (60 miles away). I have a great warranty, so whatever it is, it should be covered.

Last edited by Bully Medic; 11-15-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 AM

W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330
Originally Posted by urbamworm
Isn't that indicative of a leak in the system? My car sits for weeks and it pretty much stays at the same position. My right front strut went out last month and I had it replaced. Now I rarely hear the pump go on. I guess there was a leak in that strut for quite a while.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:39 AM

2007 E63
I just had this issue on my 2007 E63.. For a while the car would lose air after sitting but would raise up with no problem when the car was started. Then the day came when it wouldn’t raise up and the dreaded airmatic failure warning came on and there was no possible way to drive it. After getting it towed to my mechanic we discovered that the compressor had melted the air tube into it and fried the compressor. We installed a new compressor and it is back to perfect. The risk that you can run from it losing air is damage to the struts and shocks from it sitting with no air in it and the weight of the car on them "this is from my mechanic so it may or may not be correct". He stated that if the entire car is losing air then it is probably the pump, but if certain areas are then it may be a leak in that part. This is just from experience as I just had this fixed.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 320CDI - 2009 / SL500 - 2003
.....my 5 cents are:

It's leaking at the connection between the hose and the air reservoir. All other corners are OK right? That means that the system as such is in operation...and working OK. The MB workshop will not help you fix this as they are NOT allowed to dissconnect the hose from the reservoir as per their repair instructions....
Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bully Medic
LOL, I saw your wheels in another post and was going to PM you to find out what they are. Thanks for the info (on both accounts).

It just sucks to look at the pics, as I am so far away from home right now. She is going to take it into the shop (INDY) close to home. He will diagnose it and give her a thumbs up (or down) on drivability. If it can make it, she will take it to MB Austin (60 miles away). I have a great warranty, so whatever it is, it should be covered.
I hear ya, I found out about mine when I was far far away too (working in Italy) when a friend sent me a pic. Mine was discovered a good while ago and I haven't done anything about it yet but have driven the car several times and on two or three 450 mile long trips. So she should be fine driving anywhere to take the car in.

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
Isn't that indicative of a leak in the system? My car sits for weeks and it pretty much stays at the same position. My right front strut went out last month and I had it replaced. Now I rarely hear the pump go on. I guess there was a leak in that strut for quite a while.
Yeah, like I said earlier, multiple people have the problem and just live with it. It was brought up in another thread when someone said something and then one after the other came in and said they had the same problem.

I know there is a distribution block in the driver front fender well behind the liner which I don't think it could be that. You would think if something was leaking there then they should all go down right? Not completely sure about the rear but mine goes down on both sides in the rear so I think there may be another block back there with a loose connection maybe.

Honestly haven't even ever looked in to it to get all the options out there of where the problem could be. I personally bought a spare set of air bags off a member from a 06 E55 to keep in case I needed to swap one or both. I figured it was probably just a loose connecion somewhere but have been to lazy to mess with it whenever I am in town since I try to just have fun due to being away from home so much the past year for work.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
I dont drive mine during the winter months.. So when I leave mine sit for a few weeks or so and dont start it, it will be slammed just like yours.. It always comes up right after I start it and has done this for the past 3 years.. I dont think you have anything to worry about.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by C32Berg
.....my 5 cents are:

It's leaking at the connection between the hose and the air reservoir. All other corners are OK right? That means that the system as such is in operation...and working OK. The MB workshop will not help you fix this as they are NOT allowed to dissconnect the hose from the reservoir as per their repair instructions....
The front is fine, just the 2 rear tires are tucked. Makes no sense to me that a shop could not fix this issue with a simple repair. But, if the whole resevoir has to be replace insted, that is what my warranty is for.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Some younger folks would pay to have their car that low. Common.