EvoSport Top Mount Coolers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by groove66
but it is only on one side of the intake. there are 2 intake tubes and I don't see another plenum

they could of did the same on the drivers side as they did the passenger and run enclosed air filters and still hooked up to factory air duct near radiator
You make a good point. Also it looks as if they have replaced the supercharger intake with a shorter unit.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Bah....wasted product.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1963 300SL
Originally Posted by TS Motorsport
That inlet plenum looks hideous! I like the idea, but they should try a composite material to avoid heat soak.
Just ordered one for my CLS. The piece will be CF. I believe this is a shot of the prototype.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
I'm wondering how much hood clearance there is, and whether a broken engine mount = a dented hood? Having the raised intake tube on the drivers side compounds the potential hood clearance issue as that is the side which would torque up.
The tanks do look great though.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 PM

E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Wow, this is the best advertising I have ever seen for Weistec. Why would you pay $8000 for this when you can get a better blower AND intercooler for the same price...
Old 11-17-2012, 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
They're dreaming if they think they can sell this thing at that price. 2-3k TOPS for this cooler and they still haven't shown any results. It also looks ugly and adds weight. The Weistec is a no brainer versus this at that price. On another note though I was kind of disappointed when I heard the Weistec's whine. I know I'm alone in not liking the whine but to me a whine like that belongs on terminators. Is there a way to quiet the whine down? After all this is a Mercedes. The only whine I've ever truly liked was the SLR's but that's another story.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
A properly baffled intake tract will go a long way toward silencing blower whine. It won't make the whine just driving around however, only at WOT.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by e500slr
On another note though I was kind of disappointed when I heard the Weistec's whine. I know I'm alone in not liking the whine but to me a whine like that belongs on terminators. Is there a way to quiet the whine down? After all this is a Mercedes.
You are NOT alone.

Some guys get all giddy hearing a bunch of noise like that, but I'd feel like a total dip5hit if my car made that much noise every time I wanted to get on the boost. Might as well weld a set of whistle-tips into the exhaust pipes while I'm at it.... "WOO..WHOOOOOOO!!!"

A couple of things: That video was shot with the hood open, so any intake noise is bound to be exaggerated on the video. When they shot the dyno pull from the back it wasn't nearly as bad. Hopefully with the hood shut the whine would be a lot more muffled. I'm sure a quiet intake could be developed to minimize that shriek. I'd be totally down for a solution like that.

Since the Weistec solution doesn't use a clutch pulley, I'm still concerned about how much noise there would be from the blower at steady-state cruise on the highway? I don't care how "cool" anyone thinks blower whine is.... After a couple of hours of highway driving with that whistle in your ears would make you insane.

-G
Old 11-17-2012, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Theres typically a bypass valve internally that is held open by engine vacuum. Under part throttle conditions the blower rotors free spin, creating no boost or noise as the air goes around them. Crack the throttle WOT and the valve shuts ,and you have positive intake runner pressure. A Whipple is undetectable from the cabin cruising on the highway.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Originally Posted by GregMB
I don't care how "cool" anyone thinks blower whine is.... After a couple of hours of highway driving with that whistle in your ears would make you insane.

-G
Unless your driving at full throttle for a couple of hours there won't be any noise. the blower is bypassed=no noise. The 55k's and the 32's are the only cars that I can think of that are supercharged without a bypass valve. You don't hear supercharged rovers, jaguars, Pontiac gtp's etc making noise while driving do you?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by stockC43
Unless your driving at full throttle for a couple of hours there won't be any noise. the blower is bypassed=no noise. The 55k's and the 32's are the only cars that I can think of that are supercharged without a bypass valve. You don't hear supercharged rovers, jaguars, Pontiac gtp's etc making noise while driving do you?

Good to know...

The only experience I've had with this sort of blower is watching YouTube videos, and those cars seemed pretty noisy rolling down the highway (from the in cabin videos)

Carry on.

-G
Old 11-17-2012, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
Originally Posted by berti_00
thats the other intake going down but damm that looks like a cluster fuhck
Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 PM

E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Our cars have a bypass. It's an active throttle valve inbetween the blower and inlet. Not to mention we also have a clutch for the SC which really is the best bypass you can buy. We are German engineered and it is obvious when you examine the setup.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
You need to open the hood and do a little sleuthing....there are two diverter valves / bypass valves and the S/C has a clutch...
Old 11-17-2012, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
55k and 32k cars DO have a bypass valve, below the throttle body.

EDIT: Didn't see that already two people have replied this...lol.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM

65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Correct, the main engagement is the clutch though. The other valve ( correct me if I'm wrong) is just there to make the engaugement from the clutch smoother, not to bleed off boost pressure under normal loads, as with most supercharged cars. The clk dtm and euro 02sl55's didn't have this valve and they wern't under constant boost. It is called a bypass valve but it is not a standard configuration.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
No, there is an actual by-pass valve in there. It sits underneath the sc inlet. It bleeds boost from the ic back into the sc inlet. The e55 have way overtly built the safety features on bleeding boost.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:41 AM

The bypass valve on a e55 is primarily for torque management. Boost is created by the clutch locking. Yes the valve has safety features built in. With a standard supercharger the rotors are directly connected to the belt at all times and boost "noise" is only created when the manifold has 0 vacumme and the bypass valve shuts. That's all I'm saying. I may of over simplified my original statement. I assumed if people thought a non clutched supercharger would make constant noise, they wern't very technical.

This is the "bypass valve" I was talking about
From eaton,

Q: What is this black plastic object on the side of my supercharger? What is a bypass valve?
A: That object is the bypass valve vacuum actuator. This unit has a vacuum port that connects to the supercharger inlet between the rotors and throttle body. This actuator opens and closes a bypass valve for the supercharger. This valve is open when throttle loads are low and closed when throttle loads are high. With the bypass valve open there is no pressure being created across the supercharger. This allows the supercharger to have an almost negligible parasitic loss in this condition. With the bypass valve closed, all airflow is routed through the supercharger and boost is created in the intake manifold. In some newer applications this actuator is also controlled by a solenoid.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
The bypass valve on a e55 is primarily for torque management. Boost is created by the clutch locking. Yes the valve has safety features built in. With a standard supercharger the rotors are directly connected to the belt at all times and boost "noise" is only created when the manifold has 0 vacumme and the bypass valve shuts. That's all I'm saying. I may of over simplified my original statement. I assumed if people thought a non clutched supercharger would make constant noise, they wern't very technical.

This is the "bypass valve" I was talking about
From eaton,

Q: What is this black plastic object on the side of my supercharger? What is a bypass valve?
A: That object is the bypass valve vacuum actuator. This unit has a vacuum port that connects to the supercharger inlet between the rotors and throttle body. This actuator opens and closes a bypass valve for the supercharger. This valve is open when throttle loads are low and closed when throttle loads are high. With the bypass valve open there is no pressure being created across the supercharger. This allows the supercharger to have an almost negligible parasitic loss in this condition. With the bypass valve closed, all airflow is routed through the supercharger and boost is created in the intake manifold. In some newer applications this actuator is also controlled by a solenoid.
Sorry, but you are mistaken. The DVs and valve are there to manage boost appropriately, just like with the Eaton.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
The 32K does not have the throttle bypass below the SC, the 55K have it.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by GregMB
You are NOT alone. Some guys get all giddy hearing a bunch of noise like that, but I'd feel like a total dip5hit if my car made that much noise every time I wanted to get on the boost. Might as well weld a set of whistle-tips into the exhaust pipes while I'm at it.... WOO..WHOOOOOOO!!! A couple of things: That video was shot with the hood open, so any intake noise is bound to be exaggerated on the video. When they shot the dyno pull from the back it wasn't nearly as bad. Hopefully with the hood shut the whine would be a lot more muffled. I'm sure a quiet intake could be developed to minimize that shriek. I'd be totally down for a solution like that. Since the Weistec solution doesn't use a clutch pulley, I'm still concerned about how much noise there would be from the blower at steady-state cruise on the highway? I don't care how cool anyone thinks blower whine is.... After a couple of hours of highway driving with that whistle in your ears would make you insane. -G
Yh I completely agree. By the way you're right the intake does look pretty short and the hood insulation should muffle it a bit. HadiLaw's intake whined pretty loud. I think that it's simply a larger blower and thus is bound to have more noise. Funny thing is that the 63 weistec blower seems to only have a bit of whine if any. I know I haven't heard one in real life but from the videos I've seen it doesn't seem to. Personally I would love if the Weistec 55 blower sounded like the stock E55 blower, that would be perfect with the performance gains which are truly on another level.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Well EvoSport said on their facebook page that this is a "prototype" and the real one will be carbon fiber. That said we should see this thing on sale in the year 3012
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by e500slr
Well EvoSport said on their facebook page that this is a "prototype" and the real one will be carbon fiber. That said we should see this thing on sale in the year 3012
For the introductory price of 30,000 New World Credits! Or Gil. Or whatever the currency of the global nation is at that time.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 PM

2014 AMG E63S, 2006 XK8 victory edition convertible, 2006 supercharged trailblazer SS, 2001 E430
WOW! After seeing this, now I do feel sheepish for knocking weistec for asking $8K for their SC setup. The weistec will be money much better spent imo.. Speaking of which, i wonder how much extra space(if any) the weistec takes up. Can this evo setup be used with the weistec?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, the Weistec has its own larger intercooler integrated under the supercharger.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EvoSport Top Mount Coolers...