Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Originally Posted by GregMB
You are NOT alone.

Some guys get all giddy hearing a bunch of noise like that, but I'd feel like a total dip5hit if my car made that much noise every time I wanted to get on the boost. Might as well weld a set of whistle-tips into the exhaust pipes while I'm at it.... "WOO..WHOOOOOOO!!!"

A couple of things: That video was shot with the hood open, so any intake noise is bound to be exaggerated on the video. When they shot the dyno pull from the back it wasn't nearly as bad. Hopefully with the hood shut the whine would be a lot more muffled. I'm sure a quiet intake could be developed to minimize that shriek. I'd be totally down for a solution like that.

Since the Weistec solution doesn't use a clutch pulley, I'm still concerned about how much noise there would be from the blower at steady-state cruise on the highway? I don't care how "cool" anyone thinks blower whine is.... After a couple of hours of highway driving with that whistle in your ears would make you insane.

-G
I did testing with a hollow inter-cooler similar to what is used in this application. The whine reverberated through the hollow plenum, and there was no amount of intake work that could quiet it. The SC on our cars is not linear, so you get a lot of whine even driving normally. Even though you are not making boost, the SC will engage around 2500 RPM.

Diving my car, it sounded like a car with a bad tranny.. hideous.

I asked VERY EARLY ON if they planned to address the intake resonance through a hollow plenum. They said: It should be fine
Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Don't think we will see anything like this for a while.
Check out the latest news with Evosport

Use Google to help you in your search...
Old 05-28-2013, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Don't think we will see anything like this for a while.
Check out the latest news with Evosport

Use Google to help you in your search...
All I'm seeing is the stuff from 2011. Is there something newer?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
I heard a rumor but cant find anything to substantiate it????
Just a rumor though.

After horsepower freaks folded, i assumed this was true as well
Evosports website doesnt seem to work however.....
Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Not feeling it
Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Found an article from 2011 about Evosport being unable to pay their bills?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Man. If these were in production and you could pair them with a whipple.... That stock inter cooler seems to be the biggest hold back on these engines.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
Wait, HPF went out of business? Oh the BMW community is probably going nuts ... time to roll over to bimmerforums.com

EDIT: Wow, it is true. Just read some crazy threads on BF.com and E46fanatics.com. Sad day in the BMW community. I've sat in a few HPF cars and they were SCARY fast.

Anyway, back on topic for Evosport - are they next?

Last edited by ArmoE55; 05-29-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
Wait, HPF went out of business? Oh the BMW community is probably going nuts ... time to roll over to bimmerforums.com

EDIT: Wow, it is true. Just read some crazy threads on BF.com and E46fanatics.com. Sad day in the BMW community. I've sat in a few HPF cars and they were SCARY fast.

Anyway, back on topic for Evosport - are they next?
Cant find anything on Evosport that is current......but their webpage only shows one welcome page and nothing more.
I was surprised by HPF as well and it turns out it was a employee who stole from them and the insurance company didnt cover all the losses. Quite unfortunate.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by moosejaw
I was surprised by HPF as well and it turns out it was a employee who stole from them and the insurance company didnt cover all the losses. Quite unfortunate.
That is highly messed up. However, sounds like they should have had better insurance to protect themselves.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
HPF:
Apparently, after discussing with some of my BMW folks I've met over the years while I owned Ms, one of the employees embezzled something to the tune of $200K over some period of time. That on top of the owner having a full out race E46 M3 (1300HP, completely gutted etc.) amount other 'shop cars' and a HUGE shop that most considered unnecessary, some argue that the end was inevitable. Some say HPF was never really turning a profit, but I simply can't see how that's true, for the amount they charge for their kits, then labor and maintenance after the fact. The kit along with the products apparently now belong to the highest creditor who owns a StageIV E46 M3 and has spent well over $150K into his car with HPF.

I spoke with some close associates I know of around/dealing with HPF and it sounds like they're going to file for Chapter 11. It's unfortuate, but I guarantee those guys will come together and open another company doing the same thing.

They were/are the big power turbo S54 motor guys known around the world.

They had some shady things, but what big company doesn't? It's a sad day for the BMW community.

The worst part is the employees were not given a notice other than the shop is closing and they were all let go. None of whom knew it was coming.

On top of all that, there are numerous people that sent large sum deposits (over $5K) for their built motor/turbo setup only to realize the company went under. I hope those guys resolve their issues without much trouble. Not to mention customer service no long available for those with the kids on their car, returns and so on. It's a mess.

Anyway, long off-topic thread ... just thought I'd give you guys the scoop after talking to the BMW world folks.

Last edited by ArmoE55; 05-29-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
I am not a happy camper with Evosport right now..

Lots of money owed and parts lost which are probably stolen..

I'm already in the process on moving on with another vendor but I'm willing to wait in line for as long as it takes to get what is owed to me!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
HPF:
Apparently, after discussing with some of my BMW folks I've met over the years while I owned Ms, one of the employees embezzled something to the tune of $200K over some period of time. That on top of the owner having a full out race E46 M3 (1300HP, completely gutted etc.) amount other 'shop cars' and a HUGE shop that most considered unnecessary, some argue that the end was inevitable. Some say HPF was never really turning a profit, but I simply can't see how that's true, for the amount they charge for their kits, then labor and maintenance after the fact. The kit along with the products apparently now belong to the highest creditor who owns a StageIV E46 M3 and has spent well over $150K into his car with HPF.

I spoke with some close associates I know of around/dealing with HPF and it sounds like they're going to file for Chapter 11. It's unfortuate, but I guarantee those guys will come together and open another company doing the same thing.

They were/are the big power turbo S54 motor guys known around the world.

They had some shady things, but what big company doesn't? It's a sad day for the BMW community.

The worst part is the employees were not given a notice other than the shop is closing and they were all let go. None of whom knew it was coming.

On top of all that, there are numerous people that sent large sum deposits (over $5K) for their built motor/turbo setup only to realize the company went under. I hope those guys resolve their issues without much trouble. Not to mention customer service no long available for those with the kids on their car, returns and so on. It's a mess.

Anyway, long off-topic thread ... just thought I'd give you guys the scoop after talking to the BMW world folks.
Actually i heard (second hand) the employees knew it was coming and the police investigation took 3 months to charge that employee. I also heard that six months prior that HPF switched insurance policies that reduced their liability from $1/2 million to $25,000 which was an error that went unnoticed. The employees knew this was coming as one of the longstanding employees with a six figure salary was let go to free up cash reserves to pay the creditors. I also heard their merchant accts were charging 7.5% as opposed to 1.5% which financially choked them. They were on the way to bounce back working out a deal with the CC companies. But there was a delay with the supply of AEM ECUs which was their bread and butter. Sales reduced that quarter and weren't able to make payroll. Where they are located if they arent able to make payroll, the state shuts you down.

The employee got three years in jail. Where did all that money go to? $200K is a lot to go unnoticed. Looks like Active Autowerke will probably gobble up their market base.

Again i just read this on the internet after reviewing about a hundred posts why they closed down. So far this was the best reason.

I've heard more tidbits about Evosport but nothing substantial and nothing that is documented. I checked the California Business License Search and MOTORSPORTS OPERATING GROUP, LLC is still active so who knows.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Sounds like you read ForcefedM3's post Andrew. Sounds like he was some kind of friend or had his hand in the company or something? Seemed to know a lot about what is going on and is helping people. His location is way up in Seattle Washington though (not even close to the boarder) not Oregon so not sure how he is linked.

Last edited by urbamworm; 05-30-2013 at 09:30 AM.