Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Porsche 928 S4
Why is this car so cheap?

Looks legit

http://www.kendalldodgechryslerjeepr...UF76J94A522732

Last edited by art_z; 11-19-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
It probably doesn't have a bunch of options. I see it doesn't have keyless go, can't tell if pano roof but probably not and then they probably just want to get rid of it so $20k seems like a normal reasonable price to me for that type of car in the common color black.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Cheap? You wanna see cheap?

I know of two people already that have bought E55's for under $20K ( 19K and 18K if I'm not mistaken, 04 and 05 models ) and there is an 04 model selling for $14K locally. WTF is going on? Do people hate these cars that much? I bought mine for $30K two years ago and it was considered a bargain at the time...now it owes more than it's worth.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
It's got a few options (bi-xenon, Nav, rear electric window shades, heated seats, glass sunroof, electric trunk closer)...

Carfax doesn't show any accidents. Might be worth a look for someone

-G
Old 11-19-2012, 10:27 AM

1987 Porsche 928 S4
The carfax is odd that it shows Kendall put it for sale, then it sold at auction, and then Kendall is showing it for sale again. If it was closer I would check it out but to fly down there to save $5k from my local selling cars would only make sense if the it was mint inside and out, and from what I see in the pics I don't think that would be the case.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320
These cars are getting close to the ten year old mark and the gas tank issue, which there is still not a permanent fix. I know the later issue has kept me from these cars. I will skip right to the W212.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tsquare
These cars are getting close to the ten year old mark and the gas tank issue, which there is still not a permanent fix. I know the later issue has kept me from these cars. I will skip right to the W212.

IMHO, we're heading into the "ricer phase" of depreciation on these cars. They are cheap enough now that a good amount of them will be purchased by young kids looking for cheap thrills and big HP... I expect many of those will end up broken-down with expensive issues (airmatic, blown motors, etc) and will either be cobbled back together or scrapped entirely.

Loyalists will hold onto their cars through this period, so I suspect there will be a period of time when the prices will stabilize... the well-maintained cars will hold their value pretty well, but there will be a 2nd-tier of E55s out there that are going to be super-high mileage and poorly maintained pulling down pricing on the low end.

I am of the opinion that the fuel leak issue can be fixed permanently, but the solution will not come from MBZ directly. If the problem is cracking of the fuel sender fittings and subsequent leakage, it wouldn't be that hard to buy a new sender and then beef-up the entire area with epoxy or some other method. Maybe even tap a new hole to replace the original plastic fuel line fitting and put on a real metal aftermarket Earls-type connector? Someone is going to have to get irritated enough to take this on as a "personal project" and solve it themselves... but I'm convinced that a solution is out there.

-G
Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by GregMB
IMHO, we're heading into the "ricer phase" of depreciation on these cars. They are cheap enough now that a good amount of them will be purchased by young kids looking for cheap thrills and big HP... I expect many of those will end up broken-down with expensive issues (airmatic, blown motors, etc) and will either be cobbled back together or scrapped entirely.

Loyalists will hold onto their cars through this period, so I suspect there will be a period of time when the prices will stabilize... the well-maintained cars will hold their value pretty well, but there will be a 2nd-tier of E55s out there that are going to be super-high mileage and poorly maintained pulling down pricing on the low end.

I am of the opinion that the fuel leak issue can be fixed permanently, but the solution will not come from MBZ directly. If the problem is cracking of the fuel sender fittings and subsequent leakage, it wouldn't be that hard to buy a new sender and then beef-up the entire area with epoxy or some other method. Maybe even tap a new hole to replace the original plastic fuel line fitting and put on a real metal aftermarket Earls-type connector? Someone is going to have to get irritated enough to take this on as a "personal project" and solve it themselves... but I'm convinced that a solution is out there.

-G
yep, Pep Boys E55s will be flooding the market. Be strong gents when they start posting pics mod'd with neon, tall wings, and of course their sorry *** with their pants half down. But not to worry, as they cannot afford to properly repair them there will be more parts cars for the rest of us.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:26 AM

2017 Charger Hellcat
Originally Posted by art_z
The carfax is odd that it shows Kendall put it for sale, then it sold at auction, and then Kendall is showing it for sale again. If it was closer I would check it out but to fly down there to save $5k from my local selling cars would only make sense if the it was mint inside and out, and from what I see in the pics I don't think that would be the case.
That dealer is not far from my house,if you are really serious about buying it,I could go by and check it out for you..
Old 11-19-2012, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
The "for sale car" is a Miami car, so it probably came from a canal somewhere or the backseat was used to do dental work in Hialeah, or the trunk was used to sell puppies in a gas station.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
I would bet with a full inspection that there would be thousands of dollars worth of work to be done on that car. Cheap cars are usually cheap for a reason. Simple as that.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 AM

1987 Porsche 928 S4
Originally Posted by 305-E55
That dealer is not far from my house,if you are really serious about buying it,I could go by and check it out for you..
Thanks, I appreciate the offer but no need. While the price is right, I still think it's probably not worth the hassle of bringing it up north. I have a couple 04s locally for a few K more that have more options.

This one looks decent:http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2006&zip=18055&listin gType=used&listingTypes=used&sellerTypes=b&mmt=[MB[E55AMG[]][]]&modifySearchId=56206431&lastExec=1353335200000&mo delCode1=E55AMG&makeCode1=MB&startYear=2003&firstR ecord=26&maxMileage=75000&searchRadius=0&increment al=All&listingId=328437766&Log=0

Last edited by art_z; 11-19-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
I LOVE that phrase "ricer phase" or also "pep boys" phrase. I've never heard it before but it makes so much sense. Sort of like how the W220 S500s have all hit the pep boyz phase with fake quad tip exhaust, very cheap and big ugly chrome wheels, fender vents, add on LEDs, and sometimes even the AMG badge. It makes so much sense.

Anyways, something I noticed on this car that's kind of odd is that the passenger door panel's insert area is plastic, but the other three doors are leather (standard). So it seems like someone replaced that part with an inferior piece. Makes you wonder what else the car went through if the owner isn't using the proper parts for repair/ maintenance...

BTW do all E55s have the 4 zone climate control standard or was it an option?

Originally Posted by GregMB

-G
Old 11-19-2012, 11:48 AM

E55 AMG
[QUOTE=xxGenericSNxx;5437950]

Anyways, something I noticed on this car that's kind of odd is that the passenger door panel's insert area is plastic, but the other three doors are leather (standard). So it seems like someone replaced that part with an inferior piece. Makes you wonder what else the car went through if the owner isn't using the proper parts for repair/ maintenance...

QUOTE]

Now that's a keen eye. I probably would have never spotted that on my own!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:56 AM

2000 E55
The problem is that this cars have almost 10 years, and if you tried to finance the bank will tell you that only finance for 4 years and if you have good credit they can offer 4.95%. I am the one who gter said that bought one clean 45k miles 04 e55 for 18k. I was going to pay like 500 monthly without insurance. So you can buy a more new car for that monthly payment. What I do, I boughted cash. But not so many people have good credit and that kind of money to spend it in a 04 car. And also many people are afraid of him because the maintenance. Maybe in some other times where the economy was in good cond, this cars will sell for lote more than this times. Just my 2 cents. Sorry for my english but Im from Puerto Rico. ps, I love mine!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 AM

2000 E55
The one that is selling in 15k is a 04 with over 100k miles on it. I prefered pay 18k for mine with 45k xtra clean car.
luis...........
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL600
The depreciation on a W211 is nothing compared to the W215.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
I would bet with a full inspection that there would be thousands of dollars worth of work to be done on that car. Cheap cars are usually cheap for a reason. Simple as that.
Good deals can be found if you're willing to be patient and do your homework. I just bought my '05 one owner bought/traded to Brumos for under 18k. Full service history from Brumos and optioned nicely. But I looked at about half a dozen with mixed mileage that looked like they had been rode hard and put to bed wet way too many times. Mine did have right at 100k, but given how clean it was and the history it was clear it was a winner over the others. The car shows like a 60-80k mile car, very few imperfections.

I looked at one that had lower miles (70k) at 5k more thinking it be a better buy and found it needed both batteries, full brakes (pads/rotors) and service B...

The other poster talking about financing is correct, not a lot of people can afford to pay that kind of cash and if they can they generally aren't purchasing a 10 year old car. I found the same issue when trying to sell my Supra, being much older financing for buyers was that much harder.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 Cayman 981S
Really $20K is cheap? Maybe in PR is cheap cause we pay a 35% "Premium and Tax" over the US price. For example, a full option 2004 E55 cost here about $145K.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL600
Originally Posted by Xattica
Really $20K is cheap? Maybe in PR is cheap cause we pay a 35% "Premium and Tax" over the US price. For example, a full option 2004 E55 cost here about $145K.
That's about the price of a CLK Black Series
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM

1987 Porsche 928 S4

From the looks of it, most cars with this age and mileage are listing for around $25K. Now whether they are selling for that is unknown. I have a silver one at a dealer down the road from me for $25.5k, 50k miles, beautiful in and out. Full set of records, but the color just ain't doing it for me right now. I'm sure after another month or two I can get him to throw in a warranty for 2 years for that money. Maybe then I will buy it.

I'm a cash buyer, would love to find a white one without issues, but seems like only real dogs are going for around $20k with a boatload of miles or reconstructed titles, neither which I am really interested in. Though if the right higher mileage car popped up locally with all service records I'll take the jump.

The last thing I want to do is save $5k on a car that needs $10k worth of work.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 Cayman 981S
Originally Posted by Capn
That's about the price of a CLK Black Series
Here that beast will cost about $200k easily.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 PM

1987 Porsche 928 S4
Originally Posted by Capn
The depreciation on a W211 is nothing compared to the W215.
Agreed, but then MB didn't do themselves any favors with that ABC system.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
We should start some sort of trade busines... I'll buy E55s here for $25k, sell them to you for $50k, you sell them there for whatever you want and we'll all be happy!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
I would bet that with a full inspection from a dealer, most 10 year old mercedes would need a couple thousand worth of work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is this car so cheap?