Sponsored by:

My build is up and running!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Nice! Can't wait to go racing in the spring!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
I have seen those prototype billet fuel rails in person. They are truly a work of art!!

G
Old 12-11-2012, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
My guess is that you will wind up using the PTE cams then. Regrinding stock cams, and therefore reducing the base circle, is going to require a way to compensate for the increased valve lash.
Definitely put her on a diet. Less weight= less breakage.
I can't justify paying $2500 for brake rotors, but with all the money you've spent to get this far, it would be a smart move.
Speaking of weight, to you get my reply to your text about the skinnies?

Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
Headers will be a custom built set. I'm waiting to see what we come up with for a cam profile. I've got the stock cams as well as the PTE cams out being measured so hopefully either he thinks the PTE cams will be fine or they can design something off the stock cams. I've thought about running a set of stock cams but the heads will work better with more aggressive cams for my application. I know the biggest thing will be getting the car on a diet. The goal is to get down to somewhere around 4100lbs and the first time out I'm dropping exhaust,seats,battery,lighter rotors hopefully and hiring a 115lb jockey to drive it
Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by lowprofile
My guess is that you will wind up using the PTE cams then. Regrinding stock cams, and therefore reducing the base circle, is going to require a way to compensate for the increased valve lash.
Definitely put her on a diet. Less weight= less breakage.
I can't justify paying $2500 for brake rotors, but with all the money you've spent to get this far, it would be a smart move.
Speaking of weight, to you get my reply to your text about the skinnies?
Just looked at the text. I must of skipped over it when i had other messages. The idea with the stock cams was to see what was possible using those to make a much cheaper alternative than starting from new cam blanks. I'm really looking into taking weight out now more than anything. The sleeves will add weight and put me farther behind so that doesn't help. I'm happy with what i ran at full weight and knowing it had more but for now the goal is just to get it running again and go fast
Old 12-13-2012, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Cut a stock intercooler apart to figure out what i want to do with it. I have another at a buddies shop that does custom fabrication and builds Pro Mods so we are going to try his design on one and my design/idea on this one. The other intercooler is one that didn't fit so i got some spacers from Pat at PTE and went ahead and ground off the high spots on the head to see if i can gain some room and make it fit.

Attached Thumbnails My build is up and running!!-intercoolers.jpg   My build is up and running!!-intercoolers2.jpg   My build is up and running!!-head.jpg  
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi A4
I can't imagine what driving your E is gonna be like after all is said and done..
Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Should be fun when it's done.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:38 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Yea I'm really not happy with darton at this point. I was told to take and drop the blocks off everything was ready then I call and the guy tells me it will be another 6 weeks before they even have the sleeves back to the California shop.
Yes, it has been a long wait, as you know. I contacted Darton at SEMA in November 2011 to sell them on making these sleeves and made a large commitment to them to start the project. I donated a free block so the sleeves could be designed, CNC programs created and molds built. I thought it would take 6 months per their information but here we are at a frickin year now!

Good news, I have 2 of my 5 blocks completed now and waiting on them to ship to me. I also had to switch gears twice and just drop in a stock bore block with Mahle forged pistons to get by. Nice thing, these engines come out and go in easy, so this one will come out soon as well.

4100 lb race weight will be nice. I will be happy at 4250 lbs and everyone knows my wife is the 115lb jockey mod.,,, if and when she is needed

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Yes, it has been a long wait, as you know. I contacted Darton at SEMA in November 2011 to sell them on making these sleeves and made a large commitment to them to start the project. I donated a free block so the sleeves could be designed, CNC programs created and molds built. I thought it would take 6 months per their information but here we are at a frickin year now!

Good news, I have 2 of my 5 blocks completed now and waiting on them to ship to me. I also had to switch gears twice and just drop in a stock bore block with Mahle forged pistons to get by. Nice thing, these engines come out and go in easy, so this one will come out soon as well.

4100 lb race weight will be nice. I will be happy at 4250 lbs and everyone knows my wife is the 115lb jockey mod.,,, if and when she is needed
It seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. They told me they weren't ready then called Tuesday and said they're ready to ship they just need my card info. They told Pat(PTE) that they were done and another guy said they weren't. If all goes well and they live up to their promise i will have a completed block by January 5th. Sure has been a lot of broken promises up to this point. Cometic has a stock designed gasket and will be doing one for the new sleeved block as well. Don't know if you have looked into that yet or not.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Time for a small update. Darton sent the sleeves to be installed and it looks like i will be staying with a stock size bore and possibly .5mm under bore. The stock bore is a 97mm and darton says the max bore would be at a 98mm so in the event of something breaking and tearing up a cylinder wall i wouldn't have a lot of room left. I did the math and a 98mm bore would add just over 7 cubic inches and its just not worth it to me. The pistons will be ready around the first week of January and the Rod's will be sometime in February so that sucks. I've set tomorrow afternoon aside to get used to TIG welding again and then its on to trying my idea on the intercooler and my buddy will try his on the other one. Looks like things are starting to come together finally.....
Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Cometic has a stock designed gasket and will be doing one for the new sleeved block as well. Don't know if you have looked into that yet or not.
Thanks for the info and will look into that soon. Since it is so warm here, may just go bass fishing for a while, while we wait on darton. We looked at custom head gaskets, but that was 9 months ago when we thought it was a 3 month darton sleeve build, so those are way off my brain right now.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Cometic has a stock style gasket so when I get the block finished ill do a trace over and send that to them so they can add the water passages. I'm pretty sure I'll have gaskets before I have rods. Getting the main cap bolts tomorrow so I can measure and have ARP make me some studs for the main caps
Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
One of her Christmas presents. Time to start her on a diet.

Attached Thumbnails My build is up and running!!-wheel.jpg   My build is up and running!!-wheel2.jpg  
Old 12-21-2012, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
Good looking wheel, who makes it and what's the weight of it?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
17x4.5 but staying with CLK's on the rear. I want to say weight is 14lbs each maybe a little lighter.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
looking great buddy
Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 PM

Audi A4
One of her Christmas presents. Time to start her on a diet.

Siiiiick...

What are the wheels called?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
They are Prostars. Don't know how they will fit yet but for the price you can't go wrong. I was going to get some one off Weld Alumastar 2.0's but I'd have well over $2000 in them and I'd rather out that towards something else.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 PM

Audi A4
They are Prostars. Don't know how they will fit yet but for the price you can't go wrong. I was going to get some one off Weld Alumastar 2.0's but I'd have well over $2000 in them and I'd rather out that towards something else.
Thinking of a full set... Let us know how they fit.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
Originally Posted by Prada
Thinking of a full set... Let us know how they fit.
I think a few of us would like to know how they fit? That's black chrome right?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by kompressede
I think a few of us would like to know how they fit? That's black chrome right?
Yes its a black chrome of some sort. I don't know about fitment yet so can't add anything there.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
small update. Took my blower apart to find out there was something ingested by it at some point. I got stuck and ate into the case and rotors but we didn't find anything at all in the intercooler. The intercooler tanks are all finished and welded up/fitted to make sure they fit with no problems.
My build is up and running!!-scrotor1.jpg

My build is up and running!!-scrotor2.jpg

My build is up and running!!-tankweld.jpg

My build is up and running!!-tankweld2.jpg

My build is up and running!!-case.jpg

Last edited by e55amgrocket; 01-01-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

W221
Look forward to the finished product. Can't wait and good luck!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:46 AM

06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
Pictures are not working.

Are you able to pull the rotors out if you unbolt the nose drive like on an Eaton?

G
Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD
Pictures are not working.

Are you able to pull the rotors out if you unbolt the nose drive like on an Eaton?

G
Weird they work on my computer. Yes you can unbolt the front and pull the rotors out. I've decided to sand the spot down were it was gouged and use this blower for testing I'm going to do some things to it that i think we help get some extra air in and some extra air out hopefully.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My build is up and running!!