W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things just got real. PULLEY FELL OFF.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Wow...how long was it on? Months? Years?

That's crazy...the snout look BAD!! Good luck and if you need anything let me know.
I was thinking about doing a keyway out toward front of snout but how the heck did you manage to actually cut a STRAIGHT channel for the keyway? You said you used a dremel and then with the engine in the car you don't have barely any room (unless you took whole front end off) to make things worse, just was just amazed how you got it straight to have a good fit for a new key.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55 Brabus
Sorry to hear about this stuff happening, and I was wondering why I have'nt had problems like belts sliding off or crankshaft pulley coming off. I brought my car with the k8 in it two years ago. So aftermarket crank pulley and belt pullies in it with 103,000 miles and no problems with this stuff. With no disrespect to any one, but is it the manufacturer of these parts. I dont know half as much as you guys on here but just does not seem right. By the way ERB your car looks tight.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
Hope the damage isnt much
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
A sad sight. I feel for you man.

I had a solid crank pulley on my celica back in 2006...took 6 months for the vibrations to shatter the oil pump to pieces...it wasn't pretty.

All the best with the repairs man. Your car is a beast!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by gaspam
thank you sir means a lot coming from you as i am a TTM fan , but i cant take the credit as there are some pretty smart guys at BIP that taught me a few things while i was talking to them while i had my car in there after my debacle
After Craig's debacle I spoke to Jason in depth and told him the exact same thing that you said in your post. He was new to the M113k and Craig asked me to talk to Jason so he called me and we had quite a long conversation about why the RTR pulley failed.

You are in GREAT HANDS with Jason and BIP!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
Looks like you will be BIP's first crank exchange customer from those pictures. You probably can't see the key way because when the pulley came loose it spun over the keyway and ground it down into the crank. My crank actually welded itself to the pulley when it and loose.
Honestly the crank doesn't look bad at all in person. I also took a micrometer and measured it from different spots on the crank and it was nearly identical to the ones from the BIP crank repair thread. Their pic showed 1.261 and mine was like 1.262 and 1.263 from the 2 positions I did. I will clean the crank up a little with some emory cloth or a scotch brite and it will probably look great.

I looked the best I could with my eyes and then used a mirror to look more from the top and the bottom of the car when I couldn't see the key. I will try to look some more and better tomorrow. I will definitely be either pinning this new stock pulley or making a new keyway for something better than the tiny key that is used. Guess I need to talk to BIP/Craig about this pin kit.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
Looks like you will be BIP's first crank exchange customer from those pictures. You probably can't see the key way because when the pulley came loose it spun over the keyway and ground it down into the crank. My crank actually welded itself to the pulley when it and loose.
Yep. The key is part of the crank now. Same thing happened to me.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
You should be able to slide your finger around the inside part and feel the keyway. Hooefully the picture looks worse than it is.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Originally Posted by urbamworm
Here is where I get more confused. I took the pulley out and there is NO keyway in my crank. I looked all the way around the little snout several times and there isn't one.

This is looking up from bottom right
You can see to the right of the crank snout in this pic where the keyway was. You can't see it on the crank because it basically got rounded off smooth from the loose pulley. Good luck getting it fixed. Sucks for sure.

Aaron
Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
What was the reason for the engine rebuild ?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WHTEVO
You can see to the right of the crank snout in this pic where the keyway was. You can't see it on the crank because it basically got rounded off smooth from the loose pulley. Good luck getting it fixed. Sucks for sure.

Aaron
Now that you say that, I see exactly what you are talking about in the 3 o clock position.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by gaspam
from what i understand , the welded pulley have the harmonic balancer welded sandwiched in, while the pulleys like urbamworm and i had do not and i think this causes them to vibrate the bolt enough over time to cause it to lose its clamping force and ultimatley come undone like both of ours did. just like his, mine took some time to come undone so i believe it was torqued correctly at first but harmonic vibration perhaps vibrated the bolt long enough to cause it to lose its clamping force and back out.

when i took my car in for repair after my pulley came of the tech said he would never use an unwelded pulley due to lack of harmonic balancing, so i bought a welded ASP pulley the second time around and had it pinned to the crankshaft which should also act mush like a larger key GT-ER as speaking of

totally sucks for op, as i know what he's going through and its no fun at all
The newer ASP pulley has a damper held by 12 ( I think ) springs to absorb vibration. I've seen similar setups in many aftermarket dampers like this with no issues ever. It doesn't mean you are wrong though, but the oem key is truely small for such a task and having a hard as hell metal for the hub might not be the best idea. I've seen oem style pullies come off so it anything is possible.

This is similar to the ASP pulley except that the rubber is replaced with springs:

Better or worse? Who knows.

Last edited by GT-ER; 12-17-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by benzmodz
What was the reason for the engine rebuild ?
I am not sure if you are talking to me or someone else in the thread but there was no engine rebuild.

Aftermarket larger crank pulley just came loose.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Sorry to hear this. Hope your back up and running soon.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I was thinking about doing a keyway out toward front of snout but how the heck did you manage to actually cut a STRAIGHT channel for the keyway? You said you used a dremel and then with the engine in the car you don't have barely any room (unless you took whole front end off) to make things worse, just was just amazed how you got it straight to have a good fit for a new key.
I only took the radiator fan off and that's it. I drew a line on the crank as perpendicular to the snout and possible and made a canal with a tungsten carbide bit to the depth I wanted and then widened it to the exact size of the key through trial and error. My pulley has slight wobble which could indicate that it wasn't perfect but close enough apparently.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Gotcha. I am gonna talk to Craig about the little pin kit he used and will probably just do that since it will be nice and straight. I forgot about the tool to hold the crank pulley in place while torquing the new bolt though. I need to look in to that. The tow truck driver gave me the name of a place locally that is supposibly 2 techs that used to work at the Brumos Mercedes Benz dealer and opened up their own place so I may swing by there tomorrow and talk to those guys too.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 PM

2005 E55
Gotcha. I am gonna talk to Craig about the little pin kit he used and will probably just do that since it will be nice and straight. I forgot about the tool to hold the crank pulley in place while torquing the new bolt though. I need to look in to that. The tow truck driver gave me the name of a place locally that is supposibly 2 techs that used to work at the Brumos Mercedes Benz dealer and opened up their own place so I may swing by there tomorrow and talk to those guys too.
Isn't Omega run by an ex-Brumos tech? I know he's well known for Porsche service. Right on St. Johns Bluff.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jaxe55
Isn't Omega run by an ex-Brumos tech? I know he's well known for Porsche service. Right on St. Johns Bluff.
I really don't know any places in the area, this place is called All Euro Car Care off Atlantic just past the Porsche dealer on the opposite side of the road across from Gate gas station. I think I have noticed that Omega place though when driving on 9a, never paid much attention to what it was though.

Last edited by urbamworm; 12-17-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:50 PM

2005 E55
I really don't know any places in the area, this place is called All Euro Car Care off Atlantic just past the Porsche dealer on the opposite side of the road across from Gate gas station. I think I have noticed that Omega place though when driving on 9a, never paid much attention to what it was though.
I believe Omega is run by an ex-master tech. I've seen some very high end cars in there and have heard very good things, not especially cheap though. There's another indy shop down Atlantic between Arlington Rd. and University. I've forgotten the name but you'll know it when you see them as there's usually about 100 Mercs in the parking lot. They did some work for me years back on my old C240's trans, reasonably priced and also a Benz certified tech.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I have a stock pulley on the way and a crank pinning tool/kit on the way tomorrow, so hopefully Wednesday I will have them both and get to work on making this thing road worth again. I will take a little time tomorrow to clean up the crank with the scotch brite pad or emory cloth like I mentioned and put my new voltage regulator in and probably order a new battery control module tonight as well to hopefully solve those problems.

Then hopefully Friday Eurocharged will be getting bearings back in stock for the supercharger pullies and will get one of those shipped out shortly after then have Jerry set me up with a different tune for the stock crank pulley, smaller supercharger pulley setup. Guess I will go ahead and take off my 80mm throttle body while I am at it and do the throttle body shaft grind job on it to get a little more flow in there as well since the inside is really only 78mm. Gotta keep myself occupied tomorrow so I don't go crazy thinking about getting this thing fixed.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Yep. The key is part of the crank now. Same thing happened to me.
That what happened to me too. It became apart of the snout
Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Pinning sound like a good idea to make sure it runs straight. I went with parallel style key since it's just about the strongest kind of key you can get ( heavy duty machinery uses parallel style keys ) but my pulley has slight wobble which doesn't LOOK great but it's survived so far. Pinning should do the trick though. Hope you can fix it quick and cheap.

Push comes to shove, even if the pinning fails you can still go parallel style anyways.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, I am going to put 2 pins in, one on each side. I will also after cleaning the crank up see if I can get the little piece of key out of it to replace it as well or if I am going to just have to leave it be. I guess all I have is time right now though waiting on the stuff to come so I will give it my best shot and hopefully get it out and looking good tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
BIP did 2 pins on my 195 and no worries.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Yeah, I am going to put 2 pins in, one on each side. I will also after cleaning the crank up see if I can get the little piece of key out of it to replace it as well or if I am going to just have to leave it be. I guess all I have is time right now though waiting on the stuff to come so I will give it my best shot and hopefully get it out and looking good tomorrow.
Leave the oem key alone. Keep in mind that that same key is also holding the oil and timing chain sprocket in place. Just leave it be and pin the pulley.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Things just got real. PULLEY FELL OFF.