Anybody here have CCTV systems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Anybody here have CCTV systems?

Long time no post, due to being so busy with our home remodel and work, but a recent break-in had me wondering. Do any of you guys have cameras around/in your house/garage? If so could someone recommend a good system with at least 8 channels and remote viewing from Android? I'm hoping $1,000 is enough for a good system. Thoughts? Btw, I'm looking for a regular system with analog, not IP cameras or wireless. Thanks, -John
Old 12-22-2012, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
Long time no post, due to being so busy with our home remodel and work, but a recent break-in had me wondering. Do any of you guys have cameras around/in your house/garage? If so could someone recommend a good system with at least 8 channels and remote viewing from Android? I'm hoping $1,000 is enough for a good system. Thoughts? Btw, I'm looking for a regular system with analog, not IP cameras or wireless. Thanks, -John
Most of the systems have gone IP I believe....We replaced an old system (crazy $$$) with a new setup (the same you can get at costco) and it is much better...night vision is super clear, no more changing tapes, system is more stable, etc.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I didn't mean analog as in tapes, but hard drives. I was looking at some kits from Swann, and they have a 600tv line resolution, which I can't believe. That's like DVD quality. I found an 8 channel with superb specs for about a thousand shipped. Then I'll possibly pick up another 8 channel kit of less quality for things like outdoor areas like the side yard, dog run, second part of our porch, then the area where we put our garbage cans and such.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Here is a link to the one I've found this far. http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1471
Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 QX56, 09 E63, 00 S2000
I have an 16 Channel (only using 8) Speco Technologies DVR with the LED nighttime cameras. Very clean and crisp pictures and there is an app so that I can see things on my iPhone/iPad and log in to view over the internet. The install is the pain if getting to certain locations in your house through the attic/ceilings/walls is where most of your cost will be. We have it where our door bell rings and goes to my house and cell phone. So you can see who is at the door all the time as well.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
doesn't ADT now offer a video monitoring system too?
Old 12-22-2012, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Have had CCTV for 15 years now. IP is the new stuff, get some decent software and cameras. 'Packaged' kits are typically not very good, just decent at best but will do if you need 'something.' If you want to be able to read a plate from even 25' away, best to go with at least 1.5mp camera. No 600 line or even 700 analog camera will read a plate past 20'. For night vision, a separate infra red unit is recommended over built in units. This way you can adjust it properly.

A good solid computer with low wattage and high speed reliable drives are best. No need to go crazy with computer specs, my CCTV PC is the slowest of 9 PCs in the house and does great with 2 3tb drives.

Also a backup drive hidden remotely via USB 3.0 in case intruders get your primary drives.

Keep in mind a CCTV is only for people that 'care' about getting busted. If you have a nut job on your hand, CCTV will not stop them. Dogs, Guns, and a shovel at that point. In Kalifornia where felons have more rights than citizens, just dump the body in Inglewood or similar. Dig out the slug first.

Recommend reading up on the CCTV forums.

Last edited by pearlpower; 12-22-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Hahaha thanks a lot Pearl! Lmao about Cali, although I'm from Illinois I can understand the reference. Would you mind doing me a favor if you don't mind? Could you put me together a mock up kit for me? thinking about it, it would be nice to read plates from 4 cameras. I really don't know much about cctv other then box kits like you suggested. my main things are at least 10 channels, remote viewing from Android, and preferably coax cables, although I read something about using cat5 cable instead of Siamese cables. Also, I know plate recognition is more, I feel I can safely set aside $1,500 for a good setup. Lmk, -John