W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange knocking noise from top of engine / supercharger???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Critter
Success, congratulations on you recent project. You are lucky that the piece that went thru the SC did not hold the throttle open instead, could have been a big problem trying to slow down. Again good job. As you already know never run without air filters again.
Actually, the opposite happens when something gets stuck in the intake.. My gasket from the y pipe managed to slip out and into the TB and the car Instantly went into heavy limp mode, it idled EXTREMELY rough, allowed no throttle input, and threw a CEL for incorrect values on TB, Shardul actually saved me there too, autozone said bad O2 so i replaced it, then called shardul with the code, and he walked me threw all the way until there was supercharger whines coming through the phone...
Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
Actually, the opposite happens when something gets stuck in the intake.. My gasket from the y pipe managed to slip out and into the TB and the car Instantly went into heavy limp mode, it idled EXTREMELY rough, allowed no throttle input, and threw a CEL for incorrect values on TB, Shardul actually saved me there too, autozone said bad O2 so i replaced it, then called shardul with the code, and he walked me threw all the way until there was supercharger whines coming through the phone...
This actually happened to me last night. I was stuck in an intersection (not in the flow of traffic, thankfully) and a cop came and pushed me with his truck to an apartment complex where I could turn in. After looking around and knowing I had been doing some work on my car recently, I noticed my Y pipe was ajar and low and behold, the butterfly valve was clamped on the gasket. A quick fix after that I thought "is this the first time I've been stranded with the hood up and actually fixed something?" LOL!

Now I'd like to find whatever attaches the Y pipe to the throttle body so it is on there snug.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
This actually happened to me last night. I was stuck in an intersection (not in the flow of traffic, thankfully) and a cop came and pushed me with his truck to an apartment complex where I could turn in. After looking around and knowing I had been doing some work on my car recently, I noticed my Y pipe was ajar and low and behold, the butterfly valve was clamped on the gasket. A quick fix after that I thought "is this the first time I've been stranded with the hood up and actually fixed something?" LOL!

Now I'd like to find whatever attaches the Y pipe to the throttle body so it is on there snug.
funny that same thing happend to me few months ago... i couldnt give it gas or anything i had to pull over... shut the car off and when i turn it back on it would rev up... so i shut it off agian i actually called Shardul thanks to him hes the man ...he told me to go look at the Y pipe and low and behold the Y gasket was stuck in the butterfly SOMEHOW i dont know how, so i put it back to were it needs to be and went to dealer bought a new gasket and after that NEVER had an issue
Old 09-22-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55 2003
I have a similar noise, like something is loose. Once I start the car I can hear it, if I press the pedal it increase with the rpm. The sound come and goes.

Car drives normal bone stock. Anyone experienced the same problem ?
Old 09-22-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55 2003
Now the A/C blows warm/hot air, like the ac is not working.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
Try squeezing the two rubber boots that go from the airboxes to the Y-pipe. Each one has a metal ring inside it. You will be able to tell if one side is missing it as it will be easy to collapse.